Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default Dream Excursion vs shopping delimma

I am a first timer and we are set to travel out of NO on 2/29/04. We make stops in Belize, Roatan, Cancun and Cozumel. My husband and I are not big snorkel people nor are we huge on history. We would however, like to enjoy some shopping, beaches and an excursion or two. My question is which stop whould be used for what activity? What stop has the best beach just for lounging around? What area must we shop? We read that Cozumel was a shopping haven, but when I picked up Frommers it said not to expect any bargins here. What stop would host the "can't miss excursion"?
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dream Excursion vs shopping delimma

I think the cave tubing excursion in Belize is amazing. People of all stripes were on it and everyone was raving about the fun time had.

Cozumel has a ton of shopping, but I agree it is pricey, no major bargains from what I could see, compared to other Mexican cities.

I've spent little time in Cancun but the beaches looked lovely.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dream Excursion vs shopping delimma

Thanks Chuck. We have booked the cave tubing and are now looking for horseback riding on one of the stops. Anyone have any ideas of which port would offer the best riding? (perferably on the beach or similar)
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Victoria,
You can also go the the NCL site and look up the excursions for each port, then get an idea of what you want to do, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Donna,
Actually that is the problem. There are similar things to do in each port. We are trying to figure out what ports it is necessary to do a group excursion and which ports would be safe for wandering around. We also would like get some shopping in. We have heard that you need an activity in Belize so we are going on the cave tubing excursion. We would like to do a horseback ride, but we haven't heard any good reviews on this or where to go except Belize and maybe Roatan.

Out of Cancun and Cozumel, which is better shopping? What is there that is considered a "can't miss that" activity in Roatan?
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dream Excursion vs shopping delimma

Roatan Bay is absolutely beautiful. We took a taxi to a beach area through the inside portion of the island. The views were spectacular. We arranged for the driver to pick us up at a certain time and he was there to get us. We went to the Italian beach area.

This is a very poor island so expect children to be trying to sell you things, even run after you on the street. The taxis, buses are lined up when you get off of the ship, so you just hop in one and agree on a price.
I wouldn't have missed our day there for anything.

Grandeur of the Seas 12/2002
Norway 3/2001
Crown 3/1999
Sunward 8/1974

Old February 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Fran Perry

I have just returned from the Majesty 2-7 thru 2-14. We enjoyed the most wonderful beach in Cozumel. We did NOT book it thru the ship. We took a taxi to the beach,
garden, park that starts with a C. Taxi was $10 and we found another couple to share it with and paid $2.50 per person. On the trip back we couldn't find anyone to share with so it cost $5 per person. The ride one way is about 15 minutes. They have snorkling and a dolphin encounter, lounge chairs, umbrellas and trees on the beach.
There were waiters walking along the sand taking your drink and food orders. The gardens were beautiful and there was a jungle area too. What a wonderful day! We saved $ doing it ourselves. Have fun!