Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

I am taking my 6 year-old niece and I want to get her involved in the Kids Crew. Has anyone on here had any experiences with it?! Did you and/or your children like it?! Was there a charge?!

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
SPONGEBOB

Default Re: 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

Our children went to the kids crew often. There was two groups, one group was ages 6-9 years of age and the other was 10-12. Our daughters were each in on of those groups. They enjoyed it. There is no extra charge, but as soon as you have a chance go up the deck 13 and register your child, this way if you want to use the Kids Crew you can just sign them in and they will already be registered. My kids went to the evening sessions, which was 7:00pm to 10:00pm. I hope I was somewhat helpful and have a great trip!!!!!!
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

Spongebob:

Thank you SO much for your help!

Robyn
Old January 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM
SPONGEBOB

Default Re: Re: Re: 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

Glad to help! Have a great trip!!!!!! Wish we were going again!!!!!!
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:56 AM
JeConk

Robyn, I was on the Star two years ago, which is the Dawn's sister ship. (exactly the same). My 6 year old loved Kid's Crew. She was always upset when we came to pick her up. The workers are very professional and strive for safety and security. If they do a "pirate march" through the ship, make sure to catch it and get pictures! Have a great time. The Dawn and the Star are the nicest ships in the NCL fleet.
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
R

Thanks JeConk! : ) We are looking forward to it!
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
First Mate

Wow! It sounds like I might get some time to myself on the cruise! Hopefully she likes it as much as your daughter! Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mariamc

thank you so much for the info. we are going on 02/29/04
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:09 PM
yvonne

Can children 3-5 use the kids crew? If not what do they have for them? If yes, you suggest registering them asap on deck 13? What else do you recommend doing asap so we dont have to deal w/it later?
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:33 PM
SPONGEBOB

Default Re: Re: Re: 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

YVONNE,
I'm not too sure about kids 3-5 because our girls didn't fall into that catagory. Maybe check NCL.com to read about the younger children. I'm sure there's something for the little ones!!!!!!!
But the one thing I regret not doing ahead of time (even booking online) is the shore excursion for the Swim with the Dolphins. The girls were really, really, dissapointed that was totally booked solid by the time we got onto the ship( 2 hours prior to sail time ) we pretty much went right to the shore excursion desk to book it and it was already too late!!!!
So, if there is a shore excursion the children/you are really looking forward to, I would book it online.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
yvonne

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Kids Crew' on the Dawn?!

Sponge bob

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about excursion but dont know what is available. How do you know what is offered? Any advice on what to do, my childre are ages 3-5 and 11. So going to an amusement means going in 2 different directions. I need something for everyone.
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Anonymous

Any specific questions about the Kids Crew- ask me, i worked on the dawn as a youth counselor
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Anonymous

ah ha..
the question that i ALWAYS ASKED .. but never voiced.
Unlike.. Disney or Carnival..RCCL... NCL does not run "regular programming" for the kids.
So yes, during Port pLay- t(the days when you are in port)- there is a charge..so from.. basically Tuesday-Friday, port play is offered from the time the ship docks..(approx) til the latest i believe is 5pm.. 5$/hr.-per child.. or i think there is still probably a rate of 5$/hr for the first child, and3$/hr for any additional kids in the same family.

There will be programming available in the evenings, on the dawn it was from 7-10 and late night babysitting was also offered. It should be the same on the Sky. And also, like you said on a Sea day.

I'm very sorry that you were misled, and I would be TOTALLY ANNOYED also.

But., from what i have heard, especially from cruisers that have been on Disney, or Royal Caribbean, or even Carnvial- their ships are geared for kids..and therefore, have these awesome facilities for them

NCL is more about freestyle, trying to offer something for everyone..and accomodate all ages equally... I think from their past experiences, they dont' get an overhaul of kids on board, especially during their regular season, and not enough kids would be there to actually run a "program". So to accomodate this, they offer babysitting.

But when i was on the dawn over christmas- we had 800 kids on board a ship that could hold up to 2900 passengers. And because the policy was set, babysitting was still only offered.

I really can't answer your questions, i'm just dropping ideas really out of the sky..

I should have asked why exactly. The ploy for money- its honestly, not even the greatest for us. Lets say.. i work for 2 hours babysitting one child. i get paid 10$- and there are 10 counselors on board, i got paid.. 50cents an hour that day.

anyway, sorry i can't really help you out with this question.

..goodluck with sorting that out..