Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Juan

Default Re: Any News on the Pride of America??

As usual, thanks for the updates, BlueC.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:33 PM
BlueC

Pride of America is still at Lloyd Weft. She is moored at the same dock where she sank earlier this year. She was moved out of her dry dock to accommodate P&O's mv Oriana which is being refurbished. The insurers (Basel Securitas) and NCL have not released any news whether she'll be completed at Lloyd Werft or not. Someone is dragging their feet...

Here is what she looks like on the 21st of April:

http://www.schiffsphoto.de/HTM/Cruise/PoA21042004a.htm

************************************************** **********************************************

Cheers
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Juan

You're right, BlueC, someone's dragging their feet! I am amazed at how little progress they've made in the last month or so... Too bad.

Again, thanks for the update!
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM
BlueC

Pride of America expected in Summer '05
May 18, 2004

Pride of America is expected to be ready for service in Hawaii some time during Summer 2005, NCL management said today in a Star Cruises Group earnings release.

The vessel sank dockside at Lloyd Werft during a heavy storm in January and was replaced by the Pride of Aloha (ex Norwegian Sky), which will start Hawaii operations on July 4.

NCL and Lloyd Werft are negotiating a settlement of the repair claim for Pride of America with the syndicate of insurers covering the ship. At the same time, NCL and the shipyard are discussing amended commercial terms for the vesselís completion after repairs have been carried out, NCL said.

Seatrade Insider

************************************************** **********************************************

Cheers
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM
Juan

I can only imagine how much money NCL has lost over this... wow.

Well, summer of '05 sounds reasonable enough! :-)

thanks the update!

Juan
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
BlueC

Pride of America to Be Delivered in June 2005
Friday July 2, 2004

HONOLULU--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 2, 2004--NCL America announced today that it had concluded negotiations with Lloyd Werft in Germany, its insurers and banks, and agreed a new delivery date for the Pride of America on June 6, 2005.

"We are pleased and relieved that this long period of uncertainty has now ended and we can plan with confidence for the introduction of our second U.S. flagged vessel in Hawai`i," said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL America. "Pride of America will be the first new-built U.S. flagged cruise ship in 50 years and is going to be a fantastic addition to our fleet.

"We are particularly pleased that we are able to announce this good news for NCL's Hawai`i operations on the eve of the christening of Pride of Aloha, our first US flagged vessel that will commence inter-island Hawai`i cruising this Sunday, July 4th," Veitch continued.

Pride of America was originally scheduled for delivery at the end of April 2004 but work was halted after an accident in the yard in January during which the ship took on water in a storm and sank up to deck three. The yard subsequently filed for receivership as a result of the accident and has been operating under the protection of a receiver since then.

Since January, the ship has been raised and salvage work on the damaged areas has been completed. Extensive discussions among NCL, Lloyd Werft, the underwriting syndicate that insured the casualty, NCL's banks and Lloyd Werft's banks have resulted in a detailed repair specification and a new work plan for completion of the vessel.

The repairs will be extensive and will be fully covered by the settlement reached with the insurers. The completion works represent a continuation of the contractual arrangements already in place between NCL and Lloyd Werft. NCL will fund the completion works as they are carried out and the total cost of the ship to NCL once delivered will not be materially different than if the January incident had not occurred.
Pride of America's inaugural deployment and regular seven-day inter-island Hawai`i schedule will be announced next week and go on sale shortly thereafter.

On July 4th, NCL America will christen Pride of Aloha, the first modern U.S.-flag cruise ship in almost 50 years. That day, the ship will begin sailing seven-day, round-trip Hawai`i itineraries, visiting all four main islands and giving passengers up to 96 hours in port. Ports of call include: Honolulu, O`ahu; an overnight in Nawiliwili, Kaua`i; Hilo, Hawai`i; Kona, Hawai`i; and an overnight in Kahului, Maui.

For further information on NCL or NCL America, agents in the U.S. and Canada may contact NCL at (800) 327-7030; visit NCL's website at http://www.ncl.com or on AOL at keyword: NCL; or to download high-resolution photography visit www.ncl.com/hires.

NCL America, Miami
Susan Robison, 786-393-3112
PublicRelations@ncl.com
or
Lourdes de la Torriente, 305-282-4264

Source: NCL America