Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Dan P

Default NCL CROWN

Has anyone sailed on the NCL Crown?We will be doing a repo out of Miami in March.Any remarks about would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL CROWN

I'm taking this same cruise, March 7th. Still trying to decide on what shore excursions to take. Have you found any good resources/information about them?
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCL CROWN

Oops....I just realized you are taking it out of Miami, not to Miami. I am taking it from Valpariso to Miami, also a repositioning cruise.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:54 PM
Dan P

Have you ever been on the crown?It seems noone has anything to say about it.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Passenger

Dan P. My husband and I and another couple will be on the March 22 repo cruise too. There is not too much info about the Crown around although Travelocity has some photos if you are interested. By the way we have been in touch with some other folks on this same cruise via another web site (cruisecritic.com). It has been a long cold winter and we are so looking forward to this trip. Donna
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Dan P

Donna I agree with you on the long cold winter.We are from NJ and cant wait to go
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM
John and Emily Haynes

We are going on the Crown next week leaving Buenos Aires Feb.22. We have read little or nothing about this ship. Guess we'll be in for a surprise. Just hope the seas are calm.

Any info about type of clothing other than just layering,let us know.

Many thanks!
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Passenger

John & Emily have a wonderful trip. If you have time when you return and are so inclined to do so can you let us know what the Crown is like. Any information about the ship would be greatly appreciated. Donna
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Dan P

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL CROWN

John I hope you have a great trip.As Donna said I hope when you get back you will drop us a little info on the ship.Thank You. Dan
Old February 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I were on the Crwon from Valparison to Buenos Aires from Nov. 13 to Dec 4 ( 23 day trip with Vantange Travel ).

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

We enjoyed the trip, especially Cape Horn with 30 foot swells, 70 mph winds and snow, rain, sleet and sun all wihtin an hour.

Pete
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:10 PM
marg

I we are thinking about the trip on the Crown the 12th of june. Anyone know about the ship is it any good.
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Dan P

Hi Pete ,was hopeing someone could give us some info about the ship.Any info would help.
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we took the cruise in November, the ship had been updated...it was originally the Crown Odessey under the Orient Line which is part of Norwegian,

What was a movie theater on the older ship became cabins so we ended up in one of the new cabins which was plenty for us and the cabin attendant did an excellent job of keeping it clean and the beds made up. It was, however, high up and near the back of the ship which really gave us a ride in the big swells we encountered, four days of the 14.

Freestyle cruising is fine but doesn't work well in colder climates. The buffet was varied and fresh and well attended...PROBLEM. The buffet, in many ways, is designed for a number of people to eat out doors. There was plenty of room in the dining area but while at sea, folks liked to just sit and talk or write post cards so there was a problem getting a seat between noon and 2. We usually went down at 2 and ate and it wasn't so bad. When we were in port, this was not a problem. One can always go to the regular dining room and that was very nice but dinner always took a good hour and 45 minutes. Since tables are not assigned, you meet lots of people but usually for just one evening. O.K. with us but a complaint on the ship.

Entertainment was varied and good and got high marks among the passengers. Fourteen days is a long time for entertainers to put on shows but they did a good job and it was lots of fun to attend. Daytime programs varied. A lot of these were done by people who got their trip for free and I guess if you like what they offered ( financial planner who was horribly redundant...7 programs. He may have been a good planner but was not a presenter by a long shot. A Fung Shui lady was interesting to me but had very few people show up for her presentations. We hang loose anyway so we always had plenty to keep us busy.

The ship was kept clean and we had no problems there.

Getting off and on was efficient...remember, 1,000 folks have to sign out and sign back in using a card issued by the ship. There are times one has to be patient.

Trips. Those sponsored by the ship are way overpriced but didn't seem to affect anyone we saw. Most were long bus trips ( 2-3 hours ) to see some wildlife. Complaint was the long trip and little time to view whatever, usually penquins.
We always got off the ship and there were always lots of trip vendors near the ship to offer the same trip at a lot lower price. What woudl be a $70 trip for those paying the ship...well, we usually paid $20 to $25 for the same trip. The driver usually didn't speak much English but a complaint I heard a lot from those on the buses was how poor the guides were. Stop and think, we were in the boondocks of southern Chile and Argentina so guides there don't deal with English speaking people very often. If it is wildlife you want to see, an English speaking guide didn't make much difference to us.
Many people feel secure with a ship sponsored trip and if that is what you feel good about, go for it. We have traveled over a large part of the world, often without a tour or guides and we seem to do o.k. We like to poke around and do our own thing a lot so we do....On this trip, we visited several Argentine Coast Cutters and learned a lot about fishing enforcement, talked to a lot of fishermen on the big boats and we like that ( and we often get invited aboard ). Shipping, products of an area..where they go, how they are shipped, etc. is one of my interest. We also fell into a parade...for kids starting to school the next year...looked like holloween..teachers were dressed as witches..load of fun..got interviewd on local ( very local ) TV. This is what we do instead of taking a lot of ship sponsored trips.

We had a good time. We loved the rough weather and got a feel for the ships that sailed around Cape Horn ( and still do ).

Pete
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Passenger

Pete, thank you for taking the time to give us some good information. The ship sounds like it will be perfect for us. I found your comments on excursions very interesting. We've done it both ways on past cruises, booked with the cruise line and on our own. You are right booking on your own does save a good bit of money. We're not sure what we will do this time since we are traveling with friends so we'll have to discuss it.
Dan isn't it nice knowing that someone sailed the Crown and enjoyed the ship?
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Dan P

You better believe it .I went into Travelocity and cruisecritic and they had a little more info.Pete thanks for the info and i think we are going to be in your shoes.Our room is on the ninth deck nead the stern.And just like you we dont mind the seas.
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Dan P, have you ever been on NCL before. WE've sailed Carnival and Celebrity but never NCL. I like trying new lines but am a bit apprehensive about the free style dining. I am so use to living according to a schedule everyday and it is hard to break that when I am on vacation. My husband and our friends we travel with are more laid back and don't foresee any problems. I just hope it all works out.
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the feedback on this cruise, I'm taking the same one later this year and am delighted to have heard from someone who's taken it. Did you meet anyone who did the Torres del Paine shore excursion?

lisa
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Dan P

We have cruised a few times on NCL ,the last time was in november on the Dawn out of NY.The freestyle is ok .But if you are with a big group, going to dinner may be like going out at home,you may have to wait.But you can make reservations.One problem is if you plan on seeing a show you have to set your times for dinner.
We will be doing a repo on the Crown ,leaving Miami on 3 /22.
If there is anything i can help you with ,let me know.We cruise alot with RCCL.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Torres del Paine. To my knowledge, no one on our trip took that trip. It is really expensive and just one day. And weather if very iffy in that part of the world.

If you want to see Penguins, skip the trip out of Punta Arenas since that is a small colony. You would do better at Ushuaia on the catamaran or at Puerto Madryn but that is a long bus ride ( around 3 hours on mostly dirt roads ) and folks complained they only had 45minutes to see the birds. The Falklands have Penguins but no one I know of went to see them.
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Well John and Emily are sailing tomorrow. Lucky them. The rest of us will be going within the next few weeks and I am sure everyone is quite excited. For those of you preceeding Dan P and the Philly 50's on the Crown don't forget to write and let us know what the ship is like. We can't wait to get some feed back.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Cruzholic

Hi Dan P, Glad to see you are going on the repo Crown Cruise March 22. My husband and I are also and we have been talking to Philly 50 over on the Cruise Critic Board. So far there are 27 Cc members who are planning to have a get together to meet on March 24 at 10am the first sea day. We would love to have you join us. The location won't be known until two weeks before the cruise. NCL is supposed to send me a notice of where they are reserving for the gathering. Our thread is " anyone out there on the Crown March 22, 2004" under the roll calls. Just make a posting and I will include you and whatever number are in your group. Or you can use Cckruise@aol.com Hope to hear from you.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
Dan P

Cruz ,We would like to join the crew ,let us know.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Dan P

Where can we find you in cruise critic?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Cruzholic

use the info from above. How many in your group ? Where are you flying out of to Miami?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Dan P

There will be my wife and myself.We will be flying out of Newark,NJ on the 21 of march and staying at the Ramada on Collins ave
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Dan P

'
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM
dan p

==
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Passenger

Hey John and Emily or anyone else for that matter who recently sailed on the Crown, can you please take a few minutes and let us know how the trip went. We are very interested in what the ship was like. We sail on the Crown on March 22.
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Beginner

I too am looking for any info on this ship I'm leaving out of NY August 15 to Bermuda can't seem to find any ratings or anything about this ship. If you hear of anything please let me know. Have a great time.
Josephine
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:33 PM
dan p

Go into ships reviews and you will see what you are looking for I think.She is a nice ship have fun