Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:04 AM
E.Zand

Default Re: S.S. Norway

I aggree. Considering the tremendous number of persons who have sailed her over the years I'm sure it represents a considerableconstituency. I don't understand the corporate decision not to sail her again. The ship is fully paid up and hundreds of millions of dollars do not have to be generated to repay the building cost as in newer ships. I think the corporation believes that the public wants newer glitzier ships that offer everything from ice skating rinks to wall climbing. I was satisfied with the elegance and the breathtaking spaces of this ship.I think we should mount a letter writing campaign to NCL and let them know that there are a tremendous number of cruisers out there who would love to see the Norway back in service.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
venice

I suspect that CCL corporate made the decision and did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that the Norway did not fit in with their long term strategic plan. Letter writing is nice but will probably have zero impact in the reversal of the decision..The impact of the letter writing campaign might bear fruit if the letters reflect WHY we love (I sailed on her twice and loved both time) the Norway so much and encourage the cruise line architects to design the "next generation" cruise liners to reflect the great heritage of the Norway (it's like ties, you never throw them out because they come back in style in the next generation) and include a $1.00 cabin deposit for the first cruise when they do build it. An analogy is during the 50's-60's the VW beetle was hot (much like the Norway)...fell out of favor during the 70's-90's,,but then VW in an effort to regain market share introduced the "new beetle" in the late 90's to wild success..The cruiseline folks are sharp, the Norway will come back in a new form (looks like the old Norway on the outside, modern technology and all the bells and whistles inside) and market it as if to say "back by popular public demand!!!
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:31 AM
S/S Norway

All right what we need to do is protest at NCL office and demand the SS Norway return to sevice who want's to go Miami and or we could just buy the Norway
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Capt Matt

Sure....I'll just get a cashier's check....lol. Seriously, I think the only way the Norway would ever return to service would be with NCL or another major cruise line however I doubt anyone will purchase her with cruising in mind. Maybe as a hotel. I think she could still do well in the carribean cruise market if they changed the ports of call and used places that other cruise ships have to use tender service as well. What was once an accepted practice (tendering) at ports with the Norway has become an inconvience today, especially since today's ships can dock directly and spend more time ashore, less hasles, etc. But most modern ships have to tender in some ports and therefore it would be less competition. And yes there shipboard issues like small, slow elevators and the class system, etc. however I think these things give the ship that certain character that we all talk about. Sadly the major hurdle is the propulsion system or lack of it at this point. It's really too bad NCL won't repower with diesel main engines like Cunard did with the QE2 back in 1986 or in our wildest dreams a modern gas turbine system. I think NCL has some major issues down the road. I can only wonder what they are going to do with the S.S. United States? If they won't spend the money to fix the Norway why are they going to spent some possibly $300+ million to restore and retrofit the Big U? Because of U.S. flag? Why not fix the Norway and reflag her? It has got to be more cost effective. I seriously doubt NCL will put the Big U into service with a fifty year old steam plant especially now after the Norway's boiler accident. Unfortunately NCL will probably drop the ball with the Big U as well. It will interesting to see what the future holds for both ships.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM
S/S Norway

Yah NCL has put the big U on hold for now I think that NCL is going bankrput and they can't afford to fix the norway
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: S.S. Norway

great idea I have been in the norway 14 years in a row I love that ship
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I'd love to be more upbeat, but IMHO we've seen the last of the Norway in the United States. I doubt that she will ever return to service here or anywhere else. It's simply not cost-effective for NCL/Star to invest megabucks in a restoration project of that magnitude for a ship that old and in that condition. And I'm speaking reverently about my all-time favorite lady of the seas.

My favorite cruising photo is one I took in St. Thomas in January '03 as we tendered back to the ship. The Norway's crew was testing the lifeboats, which involves putting all of them into the water and running them in the vicinity of the vessel. As I watched this touching scene, all I could think of was a dozen or more orange ducklings swimming happily around their "Big Blue" mother duck. If I had the capability, I'd have loved to post that snapshot here today. But you get the picture anyway, don't you?

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Capt Matt

According to the website www.tug-barge.com which has the Norway advertised for sale...as of 05-25-04 there is a current offer on the ship. The exact price is not listed other than the asking price of $25 milllion. Well this is certainly good news...hopefully in a few more days we will have a clearer picture of Norway's future. Also for those of you who wish to view an excellent site full of good photos of the ship be sure to visit www.thewaywewent.com which contains a nice review of the 2001 farewell transatlantic cruise. I think you'll enjoy it.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:40 AM
SS Norway

Yah I email them and asked who put the offer on the ship and they told me It was sold and I was NOT going to be sold for scrap so thats good news
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:35 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

venice - NCL is not, nor has it ever been, a part of CCL. It is a division of Star Cruises.

I hope the Norway sails again (however faint that hope might be) - but if she does find a second life as a floating hotel like the Queen Mary, I would be happy.

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:26 PM
Capt Matt

Any more news on who bought the ship? That was a fast sale too! And if she is not going to be scrapped then that means two things.........either she will be repaired and sail again or hotel ship (I would assume in Europe somewhere...probably France). Does anyone know anything new on the original cause of the explosion? The NTSB website (www.ntsb.gov) has nothing other than the original incident overview. I have too many questions and not enough answers. Anyway thanks and talk at ya soon.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:03 PM
mikeymars

Unfortunately, I don't have anynews on who the buyer was, but I sure hope it was that French group. I've only sailed on this ship once, as a child back in June 1965 when it was the S.S. France. My family sailed in first class from New York to Le Harve, France, and even though I was only seven years old, i will NEVER forget that incredible six day voyage across the Atlantic.
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Beginner

> Because of U.S. flag? Why not fix the Norway and reflag her? It has got to be more cost effective. I seriously doubt NCL will put the Big U into service with a fifty year old steam plant especially now after the Norway's boiler accident

Yes, precisely because of the U.S. flag... but the hull has to be a United States hull, which the Norway certainly isn't. At a recent meeting of the S.S. United States Foundation, a maritime lawyer (who has been involved with NCL and the S.S. United States) said the plan is definitely to repower the U.S. They expect a 30-year service life for her. If they don't repower her, her boilers would be over 80 years old at the end of her life!

Phil Frank
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Capt Matt

I have not found out any new news but if you want to see a nice aerial shot of the Norway go to the website www.lloydwerft.com and click on the "services" link and at the bottom right side of the page there is a nice picture you can enlarge. It's a recent photo with the Oriana and the QE2 in the background......any updates please speak up....thanks!!!
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:57 PM
ALFRED W. BONNELL

I HAVE JUST READ ALL OF THESE SAYINGS FROM PAST PASSENGERS OF THE SS. NORWAY. THEY ARE ALL MY SENTIMENTS ALSO. I SAILED ON THE NORWAY TWO TIMES, AND FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS WONDERFUL LADY AS SOON AS I BOARDED HER. SHE IS A REAL SHIP, A N OCEAN LINER, AND NOT ONE OF THESE GLITZZY FLOATING CONDO.S THAT THEY CALL SHIPS TODAY,WITH A 7 DECK ATRIUM WITH GLASS ELEVATORS. I HAVE SAILED ON MANY SHIPS, WITH THOUSANDS OF SEA MILES TO MY CREDID, AND I WOULD GLADLY SAIL ON THE NORWAY IN ANY KIND OF WEATHER. I SAILED ON THE NORWAY 2 YEARS AGO, AND HAPPENED TO BE DRIVING ALONG THE CAUSEWAY FROM MIAMI BEACH. I HAD TO STOP MY CAR TO LOOK OVER TO THE PORT OF MIAMI. THERE WERE 2 CARNIVAL SHIPS, THEN THE NORWAY, THEN SOME PRINCESS SHIPS. AND WHICH SHIP LOOKED THE NICEST???? RIGHT, THE NORWAY, SHE LOOKED LIKE A SHIP, WITH A LONG BOW, AND A STEARN, AND HER LINES WERE JUST SO MOVING. AND I NEVER SAW SUCH WONDERFUL ENCLOSED PROMENADE DECKS ON ANY OTHER SHIP. N.C.L JUST LOOK AT ALL THE FOLLOWING THIS SHIP HAS, AND WILL ALWAYS HAVE. HOW CAN YOU NOT, PUT THIS GRAND LADY BACK IN SERVICE??. THINK ABOUT IT. THIS IS MY ONE AND ONLY NCL. SHIP. THANK YOU. ALFRED W. BONNELL 193 EDGEWOOD DR. TOMS RIVER, NEW JERSEY, 08755
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
RICHARD V. BOPP JR

I TOO HAVE TO AGREE WITH ALL OF THE OTHER PAST PASSENGERS OF THE S/S NORWAY. MY WIFE AND I HAVE HAD THE EXTREME PLEASURE OF SAILING ON THE GRAND LADY FOR 7 TIMES SINCE 1995 WHEN WE CELEBRATED OUR 25th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.AS SOON AS WE BOARDED HER WE FELL IN LOVE WITH HER. SHE HAS THAT SPECIAL TOUCH. AS IF SHE HAS A HEART AND A SOUL. WE WERE GOING TO SAIL ON HER THE WEEK AFTER THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT BUT WE HAD TO CANCEL. WE LATER SAILED ON ONE OF NCL's NEWER SHIPS ( SUN ) BECAUSE THE GRAND LADY WAS TOO BADLY DAMAGED TO SAIL. MY WIFE AND I DID NOT AND COULD NOT FIND THAT SPECIAL FEELING THAT WAS SO EASY TO FIND ON THE NORWAY. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHY NCL WILL NOT PUT THE MONEY INTO A SHIP LIKE HER. AFTER ALL SHE DID HELP MAKE NCL WHAT THEY ARE TODAY. EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THE S/S NORWAY. EVEN THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER SAILED ON HER. IT IS SAD TO SEE SOMETHING SO BEAUTIFUL AND SO BELOVED BY SO MANY TO BE PUSHED ASIDE IN THIS MANNER WHEN SHE HAS SO MUCH MORE TO GIVE. WE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO SAIL ON ANY OTHER SHIP AGAIN.
S/S NORWAY.........THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE MEMORIES
RICHARD V. BOPP JR - 7169 SHANNON ROAD -VERONA PA 15147
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Why are you screaming? (All caps!)

Norwegian Majesty
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Passenger

I RECIEVED A LETTER FROM THE TOP GUY OF NCL THE NORWAY WILL NOT SAIL AGAIN I HAVE SAILED THE NORWAY FOR 15 YEARS IN A ROW IWILL MISS THAT SHIP.

CHET FROM NEW YORK
Old June 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Capt Matt

Can you be more specific??.....We know NCL dropped the ball.....any word on the new owners or anything else for that matter? Unfortunately it is very hard to get good information other than here. Anyway...if anybody has some updates please speak up and share it. Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:12 PM
SS Norway

kinda good news not about the norway not coming back to sevice but Meanwhile, NCL's veteran SS Norway, formerly SS France, will not be returning to passenger service after a boiler explosion. According to one report, a buyer is negotiating to turn the 44-year-old Norway into a floating hotel in Asia.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Capt Matt

What about the French group? I thought they were the ones planning on purchasing the ship and bringing her to (one would presume) France. Asia seems like a waste in my mind but I'm just being selfish. Anyway keep the updates coming in....thanks.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
Bovs

Here's a question for you lovers of Norway. I sailed on her three times myself, and love the old girl! Anyway, here's the question: Is it possible to build a new ship with the same size and shape of the old Norway? I loved the full promanade deck with the wooden deck chairs, and the wonderful long fantail stern on her. She was so easily identifiable from her profile - would it be possible to build a modern ship with the same lines? She was such a flagship for NCL, that you think they would build a "Norway II", much like the QE2, which is also very recognizable by her profile. I hate these new cruise ships with their short vertical sterns on them. A "Norway II" -what do you think?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
David starkey

If they will build her....I will sail her....I miss "real ships".....these square floating boxes don't cut it for me.
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Capt Matt

Sure they can build a replica that's the easy part however if they did the ship by all means is not going to be same especially if she is designed for "cruise ship duty". For example there is no way the new ship would be the same length...at 1035 ft long the Norway is too big for the Panama Canal and therefore the majority of today's cruise ships are of Panamax design so they can transverse the canal when they have to be reassigned for cruises in Alaska, etc..the new ship would be smaller, probably around 850-950 ft. The draft would also have to be reduced as well. The one reason that Norway rides so smooth and has excellent sea keeping abilities is because of her 35 ft draft but as we all know that's why she can't dock in the islands. A new ship would have a draft of about 25 ft which is the average in the industry. Propulsion would most likely be diesel electric or gas turbine which actually is better for fuel consumption and less maintenence but Norway's original steam turbines are unique. And to top it all off is the interior of the ship. If you've been in one modern cruise ship today you might as well been in all of them. Apart from some lounges and public rooms most modern cruise ships look pretty identical as far as cabins, restaurants, bars, etc. The furniture, murals, and fixtures (toilets, sinks, faucets) are all the same and come from usually one company. A "new" Norway would be no different. They would never be able to fully replicate her unique staterooms and passageways. The old class system which is why decks and stairtowers don't always meet which is major pain in the ass for clueless people however it gives the ship character. Or the magnificent dining rooms and elegant lounges like Club Intl. The murals, stained glass, stairwell railings, furniture, etc, etc, are all very special to the ship and are one of a kind. And the fact that the Norway was once the France give the ship an incredible history. These things make the Norway stand out from the rest of the ships in the cruise industry. I find it very interesting that many people have cruised on several new modern cruise ships and in the end they still prefer the Norway. You would think that NCL would realize this and just repair her. Unfortunately it's all about money and corporate decisions. Anyway, yeah they can make a replica of the Norway but it'll never be the same and quite frankly if the cruise industry is going to build something half-ass just for looks then why bother.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:18 AM
venice

Default Re: Re: Re: S.S. Norway

nice summary Captain Matt !!!

I bet a smart cruise marketing person will figure out a way to build a "new norway" and do the pitch of it being different from the new look alike "boxy" cruise ships ..sort of like the wildly successful vw promotion for the "new beetle" and a way for NCL to stand out from the others
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Rich Bopp

Anyone heard anything about the Norway. Waiting to hear where she might end up.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Capt Matt

The Norway is currently under contract for purchase for a hotel / convention center however the exact buyer is unknown to me. Both German and French interests have been talking with NCL in regards to the sale. In the mean time she continues to lay idle at the Lloyd Werft yard in Bremerhaven, Germany since she arrived on July 24, 2003. (That's going to be one hell of a dockage fee!!) Sorry I don't have more information.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:18 AM
Rich Bopp

Thanks for the info Capt Matt. Sorry to hear that the rumors seem to be true. What the docking fee will total up to be might be less than the cost of the repairs would have been if NCL would have used there heads and did the right thing and put her back into service.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:43 PM
David Starkey

Wish they would/could repair this great liner and bring back into service.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Passenger

I want my NORWAY! NOW!