Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Henry

Default Re: S.S. Norway

Hear Hear bring back the Norway
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Gabriel Moronez

I'm building a model of the S.S. Norway when she was the S.S. France,and everytime I look at my model of the S.S. Norway I tell myself , I hope they save her,
and use her again for sailing; because she is a ship of love and art , and it would be
sad to see her go.So please bring her back to service. Once I'm finish with my model
of the S.S. Norway I will put a picture of it on the web or maybe NCL to show people
how much we all love the S.S. Norway ex S.S. France.

Thank You.
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Capt Matt

Default Re: Re: S.S. Norway

Gabriel, I wish they would sail her again but unless a miracle happens the ship's cruising days are over I'm afraid. The truth of the matter is that NCL is the only one who could do that and keep it cost effective despite the fact that repairs or machinery replacement would range from $80 to $160 million dollars respectively. It would be very hard for another cruise line to purchase her for some $20+ million then have a huge yard bill to follow. It's a big gamble in the buisness world and corporations are all about making the almighty dollar not restoring classic ocean liners and hoping it will pay off down the road. NCL has operated the Norway as a cruise ship for 24 years which is an awesome feat. The ship has served them very, very well. On one hand you can't really blame them for throwing in the towel and "washing their hands clean", on the other hand you would think that a large corporation like NCL would bite the bullet and make the necessary repairs and return the ship to service. After all the ship does have a large amount of loyal customers and in today's cruising world of iceskating, rockclimbing walls, and who knows what else, it's nice to sail on something traditional, something unique, something elegant. That something my friends is the Norway. She is one of a kind. In someways I guess we should all be grateful that the ship will be a static display. Other fates could have happened like foundering while under tow from Miami or the scrap yard in Alang. Maybe we should count our blessings and in some time we can re-visit our special lady.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Paul H

We were booked to go on the Norway in August 2003 but the explosion changed plans and we wound up on the Grand Princess. We were on the SS France from LeHarve to New York in 1964. She was a wonderful ship. Today those steam turbines are a liability. Every other modern cruise ship has diesel electric. Unless the powertrain is changed, this ship is destined for the breakers in India or a floating hotel somewhere. It's sad to see the passing of a fine old lady. However today's cruisers want more appointments and variety than what was available on the SS Norway. The SS United States may also see a similar fate.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Passenger

One article says:

March 18, 2004

In a press conference yesterday at the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Convention, Norwegian Cruise Line President and CEO Colin Veitch noted that, "regretfully" the S/S Norway will not return to the North American cruise market. The company continues to evaluate appropriate options for the vessel; these may include its use as a floating hotel
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:38 PM
sameer

Hi everybody!
long time there is no news from s/s norway.is there any crew member working on board s/s norway.if yes pls let me know what is goin on now with ship.Is there any maintainance work going on???
thanks.
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

I think she has seen better and wont miss her...Scrap the old battle ship already!

Old September 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Jessica Miller

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE! I am looking for some contact information for a Jean Bermand Joseph (goes by "Joseph") who worked for years in one of the dining rooms aboard the S/S Norway. Any leads would be very very appreciated. Thankyou.
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Capt Matt

Firstly for Mr. Kevin Cannava....you have alot of balls coming into this forum and speaking trash.....that should be kept to yourself.......secondly, if you are going to make a statement, please learn how to spell words correctly....you're insulting those fine ships you once sailed on......good luck!
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:26 PM
M Lewis

I totally agree with you Captain Matt in regards to Kevin Cannava's comment-if you don't have anything nice to say about a subject then, be quiet ! Anyway, I've been watching past episides of CSI Miami and my heart has been crushed watching scenes showing the SS Norway in port or sailing away from Miami, Ahh,,what wonderful memories we have of her.
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Bruce Chafkin

The Great Old SS Norway was bleeding money for 10 years. If you were a Cruise Line President who had to answer to the owner and shareholders - and whose career depended on sustaining a profitable company - what would you do with an old ship that lost 100s of Millions of dollars over a decade?

1. Spend about a half BILLION dollars more to restore her? And then charge people about $1000 per week to sail on her? Not likely to work out.
2. Contunue operating and losing MILLIONS of dollars every year? Probably losing your job and bankrupting the company as well.
3. Call it quits and start over with a new vessel that can make the company profitable and stay in business. (And keep your job.)

Many old ships have become sationary floating hotels over the years. But the masses of nostalgia fanatics (myself included) don`t seem to follow through with their plans to patronize these ventures. Every one of these old ladies has gone bankrupt. Most went out of business very quickly.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM
David Starkey

The Queen Mary has changed ownership a couple of times, but has remained open for many, many years for thousands to visit. (including me)
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Capt Matt

In regards to Mr. Chafkin's comments I agree one hundred percent. As the ship gets older and more and more new builds come into service every year, the Norway is an extremely expensive ship to operate and maintain. Even as a hotel ship the normal maintenance schedule (propulsion excluded) has to be followed. Everybody thought that the Norway would be around for atleast a few more seasons however it seems that the ship herself decided when she wanted to retire from the cruising circuit. I think for alot of us, including myself, we all wanted one more chance to sail on her but as a result of the tragic events, were cheated out of our chance, and thats why everybody is both sad and angry. I waited all winter of 2003 for spring to come around and book a nice cruise. I sailed on the ship in 1986 as a young teenager but can hardly remember much. I wanted to go again because I knew time was running out for the ship and also to satisfy my memories. Sadly that choice has been taken away from eveybody and that's why now more than ever before we want that "one last chance" to fulfill our wishes and stroll down those long promenade decks or walk down that legendary staircase into the Windward dining room and enjoy a good dinner. For me the ship is a time capsule that I long to return to. From the hurricane capitol of the world (Florida)...talk soon and good night.
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Bruce Chafkin

David Starkey, I respect any man who is willing to back up his convictions. Please send me your check for $25,000. You will be the first investor in the new SS Norway Floating Hotel. Shall we park it in South Beach? Not too much competition there.

(By the way, you may need to send me another $25,000 later on)
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM
BlueC

Norway: a two horse race
October 13,2004

France or The Netherlands? Which location will be the final resting place for the NCL liner currently laid up in Bremerhaven? French business man Isaac Dahan has jumped the first hurdle in his bid to bring the famous liner back to Honfleur. The State, Basse-Normandie Regional Council, Calvados County Council, the town of Honfluer, the pays d’Auge Chamber of Commerce and the Port of Rouen have collectively agreed to finance the €17.5m infrastructural works needed to dock the ship in Honfleur.

According to the local French authorities, Dahan has until the end of this month to come up with the financing to acquire the Norway. Recent reports in the French press say the purchase price for the vessel is $21m. Dahan, who wants to bring the vessel to Honfleur as a tourist attraction/business centre, is not commenting at the moment. If he succeeds, the Norway will be docked at a new 600mtr pier downstream from the Normandie Bridge.

Meanwhile Dutch investor Joop Post, who wants to turn the cruiseship into a hotel and leisure complex in Amsterdam, tells Seatrade Insider the city council has officially announced the project and the proposed water site location.

‘We are now in a period where anyone wishing to can lodge their objections,’ informs Post. ‘This process can take about two months. We have the financing in place however we will only purchase the vessel if we get the go ahead for the project from the city council.’

Post puts the total cost to buy and turn the Norway into a floating hotel and leisure complex at around €85m. He says it will take around six months to complete the refit (including stripping out the asbestos). ‘We hope to have Norway in Amsterdam by next summer. Ideally in time for Sail Amsterdam 2005 which takes place in late August,’ says Post.

Post does not know the status of the French bid but says, 'anyone wishing to buy this vessel and position her in Europe as a floating hotel would need to satisfy a whole raft of environmental and legal issues, not just national but EU-related ones too.’

Post has plenty of experience in this field. He spent two and a half years attempting to buy the Rembrandt (ex-Rotterdam) and turn her into a floating museum. His bid was unsuccessful but such projects ‘take a lot of time,’ says Post.

The Norway was built in Saint-Nazaire for the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique and entered service as the France in 1962. Knut Utstein Kloster bought the mothballed vessel in 1979 and converted it into a cruiseship. After a May 2003 boiler explosion in Miami, the Norway was towed to Bremerhaven. NCL has said the ship will not return to North American operations.

Seatrade Insider

************************************************** **********************************************

Cheers
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Bill Geter

I am so sorry to see the Norway retired, we truly enjoyed sailing five times in the owners suite aboard the Norway. We've sailed other NCL ships since her removal from service but they do not compare to the grand old dame "Norway". The newer ships today are just floating resorts without the splendor of cruising in class , I am so glad I sailed the Norway, she was truly an ocean liner with class and a great life span.
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Capt Matt

A rather interesting piece of news. The website (www.tug-barge.com) that has the Norway listed for sale has recently changed the asking price of $25 million to now $30 million dollars. The new price also includes Norway's two tenders and information on repair estimates for the propulsion system. Based on this information it seems that the hotel venture is not finalized nor has the ship been purchased based on the fact that the website no longer indicates that the ship is "presently under offer". I feel that this is somewhat good news and gives the ship a small chance at being purchased with active duty in mind. I will update if I hear anything and would appreciate the same if anyone has information.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Rich B

Thanks for the info Capt. Matt. I'm sure there are many of us that still have hope for our Grand Old Lady. Lets all keep our fingures crossed that this will be only good news for us all.
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:03 AM
David Starkey

My fingers are crossed. It would be great to sail this Grand Old Lady again. No other ship has the great ocean liner experience as much as this vessel.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Rich B

Happy New Year to all

Has anyone heard anything about the Norway?
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Lysa

I decided in February 2003 to take my mother on a cruise as a surprise for Mother's Day. I choose the Norway because of the price, but I have to say that from the size of our room, to the food, to the staff we could not have asked for a better time. I was saddened ans shocked to hear about the explosion which occurred the week after we were on it. I would love for them to bring the ship back but from what I have read it is not to be. I am just grateful that I can say I cruised on her and that the memeoories I have are nothing short of wonderful.
When we returned home from our cruise I didn't ahve an chance to clear out my suticase completely until the following week. The same morning of the explosion I sadly began cleaning it out only to discover a 5 dollar chip that I had held back on the blackjack table and stuck in my pocket. It has the Norway's Phot on it so it is my treasure and reminds me each day what a wonderful time we had.
Thanks for the memories.

Lysa
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Capt Matt

Hello my friends and Happy New Year!......haven't heard anything new on the ship and like the rest of you I'm waiting but I wouldn't say patiently. In the mean time I recently received my copy of "SS France of 1962-SS Norway of 1979" book from Libson publications. If you're a Norway buff like me then treat yourself...it's about $38.00 but you have to order it from Europe...I think the website was motorbooks.com but I'm not positive. Anyway, tons of pictures and other neat stuff. More France photos than Norway but still a nice treat. The only dissapointment was the lack of photos of the bridge or engine room / crew spaces but nonetheless a very nice work which will compliment any Norway collection. Well I wanted to share that but thats all I have for now. If you have some news please post it and I'll do the same when applicable.
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Capt Matt

Well......no "new" news as of yet.....I just felt like putting the Norway at the top of the whole NCL forum.....anyway I will update when I hear anything.
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:20 AM
AlohaInsider

You want news on the Norway?

It's not doing anything until atleast this summer. I know because I will be living on the ship will we are making final preparations for the Pride of America. Maybe if everybody is nice and backs off the American Crew members and accepts that NCL has cornered the market on Hawaiian cruising, I'll send some pictures of what the Norway looks like in April.

In other news, the United States is still in NCL's American Takeover plans. The beauty of this ship is, once refurbished, it will be able to sale from any US port. Many cities in the Southeast are courting ship business. For instance, Mobile, AL just opened a 19 million dollar cruise port. I envision New Orleans to Miami runs in less than five years.
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Sandy J

We are going on the Wind, May 2005, Hawaii.
Do you have any helpful information for us.
Appreciate it.
Sandy J
OHIO
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Capt Matt

Hey Aloha Insider...thank you for the update...some pictures would be absolutely awesome for the rest of us. I guess it's a pretty good deal for NCL to use the Norway for employees training for the Pride of America. As far as the SS United States is concerned I believe that is going to be a sad issue for everyone. I firmly believe that Colin Veitch bought the ship only to prevent any other cruise line from grabbing her and starting their own state-side cruise market given her whole U.S. flag status. It is without a doubt more cost effective and more certain to build a new ship from scratch than to retrofit a fifty plus year old ship. NCL is not going to "restore" the marvelous engines of the Big U nor are they going to consider using a steam plant following the Norway's boiler accident. And if NCL really does follow through with their plans they are going to be butting heads with the ship preservationists and SS United States Foundation who have been working very hard to keep the ship as original as possible or simply put....preserve her engineering spaces. I think once Mr. Veitch is satisfied that no other cruise line is trying to copy his plans then he will dump the United States under some fancy corporate slang i.e.: "after reviewing with engineers, lawyers, and our accountants, the United States does not fall into our future agenda" or something along those lines. Just like the Norway...she's not returning to the cruising market but we "continue to evaluate appropriate plans for the vessel"....yeah right and following week she's on the market for sale. Sorry, but you are going to see the same thing with the Big U.
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM
American Pride

Hi,
I just started to read this website and thought I would let you know whats going on with the Norway. I am part of the site team in Brenerhaven currently working on the Pride of America. We are currently in final negotiations with 2 different companies on the sale of the Norway and the deal is expected to be signed sometime this month. As soon as the sale is complete we will be relieving the 50 crew members still onboard to go home for vacation then new assignments. One of the companies is looking to repower the Norway and return her to service and the other is an Indian company looking to strip her and send her to the breakers.
As far as the POA crew is concerned, the shipyard here promises us that crew areas will be ready for occupancy by the time crew starts arriving on March 2nd. So AlohaInsider it looks like you will be staying on the America and not the Norway. That in all Honesty is a good thing, as time and circumstances have not been kind to the Norway with most of the spaces either sealed off because of asbestos or because there is only one working boiler and it cant produce enough heat, hot water or electricity for the amount of space needed to house the crew of the America. Here's to hoping that someone wants to spend the 500 million it will take to put her back in service.
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Capt Matt

Dear American Pride....thank you for the update, I sure hope the breakers don't get her yet. It would be so very nice to see this wonderful ship sail again and I think with the right company, crew, and proper marketing it can be done. Anyway why is there only one boiler working? I thought there was only the one damaged out of the four total. What's with the other two then? And what about the generators? There should be I believe three diesel gensets for the majority of the electrical services. Perhaps it's the shortage of staff or fuel demands.....anyway if you have pics to share especially interior shots or damage of the ship please share. Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:30 AM
American Pride

Due to damage from the explosion they cant use any of the equipment that exhausts to the rear funnel which unfortunately is most of it since NCL decided to close off the forward funnel during some renovations. However the did reopen one of the exhausts in the forward funnel to vent the boiler and generator. Also my personal opinion is that they really dont want to spend money on expensive bunker fuel, specially with the dollar to euro exchange rate.
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM
David Starkey

Thanks for the Norway update American Pride. I too like many other cruisers would love to sail the Norway again. I sadly feel that she will not return to service.

As far as NCL and the United States....everyone knows she won't be returning to service. ( I love old ships but the cost to rebuild or restore and operate her are just to expensive.)