Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
m.lewis

Default S.S. Norway

Any word on the Norway. Was supposed to be up and running in March 2004.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Agentxman

Default Re: S.S. Norway

Just got back from the wind and the captian said middle of 2005...
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Admiral

The latest news I've seen published (Maritime Matters website) was dated 1/9/04:
"SS NORWAY remains laid up at Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven and will be used as temporary housing for workers aboard NCL's PRIDE OF AMERICA (currently under construction and due this spring) and NORWEGIAN SKY (due to be reflagged to American registry and renamed PRIDE OF ALOHA)."

Of course, five days later (1/14/04) the PRIDE OF AMERICA sank at the shipyard during a severe storm. The PRIDE OF ALOHA/NORWEGIAN SKY is now being scheduled to follow the itinerary originally planned for the sunken vessel, at least until the PRIDE OF AMERICA is raised and construction is completed. To my knowledge, NCL has made no further announcements concerning their intentions for the SS NORWAY.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM
David Starkey

I really hope she returns to service....but with every passing day it seems less and less likely that she will cruise again(not to mention the fact that the yard that was going to do the repairs is barely a float).
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Beginner

We last saw her steaming out of Miami in 2002. She gave us a magnificent broadside view across the bow of the Galaxy. I'd even do the bunk beds again back by the Trolls if she'd only come back.
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Pam Z

i sailed the Norway twice and enjoyed both times! I had the same waiter twice and he was great the last I saied was Feb 2002 and it waas great! i love the outdoor resturant for mornings and lunch because I love being outdoors! I think that it what a cruise is about just relax sit back and enjoy the cruise and water! I loved Adrian the cruise director! What happened to him!
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:16 PM
J.D.

Default Re: Re: S.S. Norway

The cruise Director Adrian is on the Norwegian Sky, but I am sure he will move to another ship when it becomes pride of Aloha later in May.
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Madaline

The cruise director from the Coral Princess did a "Where are they now" presentation of the "old" ships during our cruise 1/22/04. He said the latest plan was to turn it into a hotel in Europe, no plan to have her sail again. I'll miss her, we did 5 cruises on her.
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Brian J. Wagner

I'm just wondering why or how a Princess Cruises employee would have more or better information on an NCL ship than do the NCL employees who are for the most part predicting the Norway's eventual return?
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Yeoman

The Norway is currently being used to house and train crew for the new American-flagged ships. Lloyd Werft declared bankruptcy about a month or so ago. I've also heard that the original plan to sell her to be used for Asian gambling cruises back in 2002 (??) might still go through. Norway is my all-time favorite ship, because it was the first "cruise ship" I went on back in the 80's. I've sailed on her eight times - last time in March of last year. My best souvenir is the "Last Voyage of the Norway" -T-shirt I bought onboard in 2002 (I think it was 2002). We had a large group of friends and family with us last March, so I'm glad we were all together to have that last cruise on the Blue Lady. I sincerely hope she comes back to Miami and does that same old boring Eastern itinerary, because I love it!
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:41 PM
mlewis

Thanks to all of you for your information . My husband and I "discovered" the Norway two years ago and loved her from the moment we boarded the ship. We sailed twice on her and were booked to sail on her again in June-three weeks after the tragic explosion. We have been trying to keep informed on her condition and sailing status and truly hope that she does return to Miami so we can sail on her again.
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Rose Eckhoff

I have tired to sail on the Norway 3 times now and haven't made it yet! Sure hope they will bring her back though it doesn't look hopeful!

This ship has a wonderful history and from what I've heard a large percentage of repeat passengers. That should open up NCL's eyes a bit! Newer is not always better! I definatley "do not" like the new trend of mega-ships. Too many folks in the ports as it is!

Rose Eckhoff
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:57 AM
David Starkey

The Norway is the only ship on NCL that I would gladly sail on agian. Hope she does return to service.
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:22 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

NCL: SuperStar Leo's in, the Norway's out (3/17/2004)

Norwegian Cruise Line said it will keep the SuperStar Leo in its fleet permanently, rename the vessel the Norwegian Spirit and operate it in the Alaska and Caribbean markets.
Sister line Star Cruises will take NCL's 15-year-old Norwegian Sea as part of the deal.

And, in other developments, NCL CEO Colin Veitch said at the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Conference here that the Norway will not return to the NCL fleet.

The ocean liner, which was severely damaged in a boiler explosion in May and has been berthed at the Lloyd Werft yard in Germany, could go Asia or be sold for use as a floating hotel.

The Superstar-Norwegian swap is part of Star's previously announced plan to add new tonnage to NCL and send NCL's mid-size, middle-age ships to the Star fleet in Asia, Veitch said.

"We're accelerating [the plan] slightly," he said.

With the introduction of the Leo, the exodus of the Sea and the upcoming entry of the Pride of America and two new ships from the Meyer Werft yard in Germany, NCL will have seven new ships.

NCL's goal is to divest itself by 2010 of all the tonnage -- with the exception of the Norwegian Sky, which will sail as the Pride of Aloha in Hawaii -- it owned prior to the Star takeover.

Regarding the exit of the Norway, as far as deployment goes, Veitch said the Pride of Aloha won't switch back to its original schedule of three- and four-day Hawaii cruises when the Pride of America makes its delayed debut in 2005. Both vessels will offer seven-day Hawaii sailings.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:02 PM
David Starkey

Fellow Norway fans.....I am sure thankfull I had the privlege to sail this great ship(infact her last New Years cruise ever).
No ship will ever compare with the first class lounge that NCL saved from the France. What a treat for this cruiser of 30 years and I will always remember found memories of this great ship and what a great job NCL did with this lady.
No other ship that I ever sailed handeled the sea better than the Norway.

So many of todays ships are just floating resorts , I am so glad I sailed the Norway, she was truly an ocean liner with class and a great life span.
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:47 PM
BlueC

Aging cruise ship won't sail in America
AP Business Wire
Thursday, March 18, 2004

MIAMI -- The aging cruise ship Norway, which suffered a fatal boiler explosion last year, won't sail again in North America, Norwegian Cruise Lines said.

The 44-year-old cruise liner doesn't fit into NCL's plans to compete with rivals Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean Cruises, company president Colin Veitch said Wednesday.

Launched as the France in 1960, the 2,000-passenger Norway sailed from Miami until May, when a boiler exploded, killing eight people. The ship was later towed to Germany.

"The Norway will not be coming back to North America," Veitch said.

Cruise executives say the 1,035-foot ship still has potential in Asia, where NCL's parent company, Star Cruises, is the primary operator. Veitch said NCL also has discussed selling the Norway to a buyer who wants to make it a floating hotel.

Veitch said the Norway is being worked on in Germany. The boilers have not been fixed, partly to maintain access for the National Transportation and Safety Board, and partly because it wasn't clear they would be needed, he said.

The NTSB's investigation is ongoing, spokesman Keith Holloway said.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

************************************************** **********************************************

The option is that she may go to Star in Asia. For all you aficionados let's hope she does or else she'll end up as a floating hotel (which defeats her purpose).

Cheers
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:35 PM
E. zann

Still some hope however small that I will have the priviledge of sailing on the grand old lady again.
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:08 AM
S/S Norway

I will miss that ship so much I love that ship and I'm only 14 sure hope they don't scrap her if they to it will be a sin and I will never Sail NCL again but I think she will be a hotel I hope I get to go stay on her when she is a hotel
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:38 PM
S/S Norway

If they sink her it would be such a sad day i think if she not a hotel or a gambling ship
she should let rust in some harbor at least she would still have a chance at life look at the united states she has bin layed up for 50 years and ncl just bought her so God bless the S/S Norway for a long long life after NCL long live S/S Norway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:47 PM
E. Zand

Amen.
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Passenger

I have been on the norway 14 years in a row I love that ship.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM
BlueC

Here is an image of ss Norway moored at Lloyd Werft. In the foreground is P&O's mv Oriana which is about to be dry-docked and refurbished. Image taken late April, 2004.

Norway is for sale at $USD25million. Anyone interested in resurrecting a fine ocean liner?

Cheers
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:41 AM
shadow99

WOW!-Thanks for the beautiful picture of the Norway! I sailed on her in 2000 with my husband and my parents...it was their first cruise and we had a blast.She will always be fondly remembered.What a grand lady she is!Long live the Norway!
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:03 AM
BlueC

Norway attracts hotel interests

Unnamed French investors are said to have approached Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) with an offer to purchase the vintage cruise liner Norway currently laid up in Bremerhaven.

The idea would be to use the ship as a floating hotel in France. Sources in Paris say the hotel group Accor, the owner of numerous brands such as Novotel, Sofitel and Mercure, could be behind the project, but no further details have emerged.

The 76,000 gt cruise ship was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique as the France for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique in 1961. Initially used as a trans-Atlantic liner between Europe and the US, the France was withdrawn from service in 1974 and sold to Norway 's Kloster group in 1979, becoming the Norway. The vessel underwent extensive modification for the cruise sector and its passenger capacity was boosted from 2,000 to 2,480.

In May last year, the ship suffered a major boiler explosion at Miami, which killed eight crew members. NCL has said the cost of repair works on the engine are not justified and so put the vessel up for sale a few weeks ago at a price reported to be around $USD25M., see: http://www.tug-barge.com/p508.htm. NCL has not said how much interest the Norway has generated and other reports suggest is in discussions with Dutch interests to transform the vessel into a floating hotel in the port of Amsterdam.

************************************************** **********************************************

Cheers
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM
JimInBuffalo

I have a large postcard of the Norway that I got on our cruise in 2001. I keep it over my desk right above the computer monitor. I love looking at that ship and remembering the great cruise that we had. Still hoping to sail her again.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Yeoman

That gives me an idea, I took some pictures last May on our Norway cruise (the second to last journey she took) and it was pictures of the Norway in the outer Harbor at St. Thomas from the viewing point of the tram. I can scan it and print in on the magnetic paper and make a giant refrigerator magnet from it.

Luanne

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:03 PM
cruiseprincess0162

I sailed my first cruise on her and it was a blast. I recieved an email from my travel agent saying that she was to be sold to the breakers. What a sad day that will be when it comes.
Jenna
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM
SS Norway

I belive your travel agent is wrong why would NCL sell the ship to the breakers when they could sell her and she would become a hotel and If them no one here NCL dose send the ship to the breakers I will never sail them again and month and tell them if they scrap the norway we will never sail on them again

GOD save S/S Norway
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
SS Norway

what I meant to say was I belive your travel agent is wrong why would NCL sell the ship to the breakers when they could sell her and she would become a hotel and If NCL dose send the ship to the breakers I will never sail them again
GOD save S/S Norway
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Capt Matt

Dear fellow Norway fans,

If you haven't already I suggest a letter written to the CEO of NCL Mr. Colin Veitch himself. I have written to him several times and voiced my disappointment with their decision with the ship and not wanting to spend the money and return the ship back to service. I also have stated that there are many people who have sailed on this fine ship and many who still have yet to experience her. I know this however Mr. Veitch might not. Remember he is a business man and he is concerned about the welfare of his company. If talk is generated that people will not cruise on NCL because of what happened or is happening with the Norway then the man might stop and pause for a minute. Corporations do not like bad press. If you don't speak up he will never know. I too wanted to cruise again on her and like you waited all damn winter only to be let down and crushed. All I could do is write and I suggest you do the same. It can't hurt.
NCL's address is 7665 Corporate Center Drive Miami, Fla. 33126 and make sure you sent it to Mr. Colin Veitch.........Let's hope with a little luck our favorite lady is returned to the people who care for her more than any corporation. Thank you for you time.