Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Nansea

Default wrist bands for seasickness?

My kids tend to get motion sickness. Has anyone tried this wristbands? Do they work? I already packed some dramamine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Default Re: wrist bands for seasickness?

my wife uses the perscription patch. your doctor should be able to call it in to your local pharmacy. it works extremely well.

NCL Wind
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:45 AM
sholiday

Default Re: Re: wrist bands for seasickness?

Thanks. I'll try to call their DR. Did your wife wear it all week. Can it get wet?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I slept w/ my wrist bands on & didn't have any problems. In the mornings I'd hear people talking about the motion of the ship. I never felt a thing. I did take 1 24 hour non-drosy dramamine every morning, too.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
JimInBuffalo

I read quite a few postings on this website under the "practical information" section with the subtitle "Health at Sea". Looks like alot of people recommend the elastic bands and
either the ginger pills or ginger candy (might be good for the kids). Relief Bands are also recommended.

I have the elastic bands but they don't work for me. I have gotten seasick on just about every cruise that I have been on. Based on the recommendation of the messages on the "health at Sea" board, I just ordered a "Relief Band" which is the electronic version of the elastic bands. I looked into buyin one a few years ago when they first came out but they were priced at approx. $150. I bought one from CREWPASS.NET yesterday for $64 including shipping. The nice thing about this type of band is that you don't have to wear it all the time and you can use it after you get symptoms. If you get sick, most people see relief in a couple of minutes. This is not possible with the elastic bands.

Another issue with the elastic bands that we have found it that the "button" on the underside of the band which is used to apply pressure to the wrist and produce the effect of "accu-pressure" to combat nausea, gets pretty uncomfortable after a while.

Good luck.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Parrot Mom

Many people suffer from blurry vision with the patches. (M.Ds would not give them to me)..the band didn't do a thing for me.. I've gone to taking ginger tablets from the health food store (remember when yo got flat gingerale when you were sick as a kid) and I've picked up Sturgeon in Bermuda (not available in the US) and I am fine.. There are non-drowsy medications out there..
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM
First Mate

If worse comes to worse and nothing seems to work, you can go to the ship dr. and he can give you a shot that will make you feel brand new for $10. I never got one but I know several people who have and they all said it works wonders.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
nmahan

On our last cruise I brought dramamine non-drowsy chewables...enough for the whole family. We all get motion sickness. So, we each took one every morning and we were fine the whole time. The only time I got a little sick was on a tender ride but I felt fine as soon as I got off. Happy Cruising!!! Norwegian dawn 4/25/04 & 2/20/05!! Can't wait.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Nmahan:

I'll be getting off the Dawn when you're getting on in April! Have fun!