Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Eric & Sandi

Default How does Norwegian compare to Carnival ?

I hope this simple question dosen't get the drum beaters started, I just need an honest comparison of the major facets of Norwegian.
My wife and I have sailed with Carnival 3 times and have been very satisfied, but we just found what I believe to be a great deal on a Norwegian cruise from Baltimore ( 1 1/2 Hrs drive from my home ) to Bermuda 7 days for $700 in November.
I just want to make sure we'll find Norwegian comprable to Carnival.
Thanks Eric & Sandi
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
MAP

Default Re: How does Norwegian compare to Carnival ?

From what I understand the ship going to Bermuda is quite small, so it's kind of hard to compare older, smaller ships with the newer, grander ships. But in general, NCL has free-style cruising, which means you eat dinner when you want, with whom you want. Formal night is optional. The larger ships might designate a separate dining room for formal night. Carnival has a lot more activities planned throughout the day and is a much younger crowd that NCL. Carnival tends to have a lot more children than NCL. Although NCL is suppose to be a bit more upscale than Carnival, I like Carnival's food better. Carnival doesn't seem afraid to spice up their food, while other lines keep the food a little more bland. I've been on NCL twice and Carnival four times and I wouldn't hesitiate to go on either one again.
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:52 AM
First Mate

EandS, you probably will get an eye full. Those loyal to one or these lines normally don't like the other. As you can see there are exceptions. The older versus newer is a very good point, it's like apples and oranges. I have only been on one Carnival cruise and 6 NCL so I may not be the person to be comparing. We had a good time on Carnival, there were not many kids when we cruised her and food at dinner was quite good. The rest of the meals were just the opposite.The service and the entertainment left us feeling like "is that all there is?" Our cabin steward was fantastic, the best ever. It was our wait staff that was awful!!! I mean really bad. They messed up our orders, dropped things, had no personality and really didn't seem to fond of his job. Cabins on Carnival are larger but not as nicely decorated in my humble opinion. We love freestyle cruising though it isn't for everyone. I do think it's the up and coming thing so we may not have much choice in about 5 years. Though I am an NCL loyalist I have cruised most major lines and will always go with the best rate for what I want and the most interesting itinerary. Itinerary isn't as important as it used to be as we have been to most of the Caribbean Islands, Canada, Hawaii and Alaska.

Happy cruisin

NMNita
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Asealady

Both are great. Carnival Victory and Trumiph have reall huge cabins. Lots of kids on holidays and summer. I think NCL has the children under better control. I found kids running aournd more than NCL. Lazy parents who didnt care what their kids did. I think NCL is a bit more upscale. Food was great all both lines,. Carnival dancers on Victory had very tacky and dis tatsteful costumes. We like NCL shows much better. Kids programs on both lines were very good. You cant go wrong with either one.
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I have sailed both Carnival & NCL. Love them both. Love freestyle but also like getting to know my waiter and table mates (traditional). Loved breakfasts and lunches on NCL including real deck BBQ in giant wber grills on sea days but like Carnival dinners and pizzia better. Evening entertainment I found about comparable. Activities during the day are not high on my priority list. Carnival does have larger nicer cabins (I sailed the Destiny and Spirit class ships with Carnival and the Dream with NCL). Sailed both lines when kids are generally in school.
I would sail either line in a flash second for the right price. In fact I am on the Victory w/ teacher daughter over her spring break later in March.