Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM
yvonne

Default Airboat Excursion question.

Has anyone been on the "Alligator Airboat Ride" excursion in Cape Canaveral on the NCL Dawn? Thinking about taking that trip? Will have 3 kids with us ages 4,5,11. Just wondering wether it is safe. The narrative states that wey will be seeing the ecosystems and wildlife (not much emphasis on alligators) and children are permitted. I thought it wld be a different type of trip for the children so they can learn first hand about something that they wld be studying about.

If anyone has had experiences w/this (especially w/kids), it would be much appreciated.
I know I'm an over protective mom, but thoughts of alligators and children don't sit right w/me.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Airboat Excursion question.

We did the airboat trip from Miami and loved it. There were several small (about 2 yrs old) children and they were fine. The boats are fairly large and if you are concerned, just sit more toward the middle. We saw alligators, but most of them just lay in the water and stared at us . I am sure your kids will enjoy it.
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:34 PM
yvonne

Default Re: Re: Airboat Excursion question.

Thank you for responding. The airboat that we are taking is out of Cape Canaveral stop. Its only 2 hrs and the boat holds 15 passengers. Was that the size of your boats? Do they usually go out several boats together, for safety reasons? I'm hoping the trip would focus more on birds, manatees and plantlife than alligators.

I'm sure they are safe, they wouldn't have these trips if they weren't.
which leads me to say; when we went to Vegas, we decided to do a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon, my parents argued safety factors w/us, but we decided to go anyway. One week later, one of those copters crashed into the canyon. I was really freaked out by that., but I have to understand that the chances of something bad happening are 1out of a million. (I hope).
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Airboat Excursion question.

That sounds about right for the size of the boats we were on. There were several boats that went out at about the same time since we arrived in a busload. They didn't stay together but there were times when we could see the other boats. In fact our boat broke down! We just pulled off to the side of the channel we were in and waited for a replacement which arrived in about 10 minutes. Everyone (little ones included) just climbed from one boat to the other and off we went. It added to the experience . At no time was the water more than about 2-3 feet deep. I think that what animals you see will be a tossup. We took the pontoon boat excursion in Canaveral and saw a lot of birds, one porpoise (briefly) and two manatee noses ). But it was fun anyway!
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM
yvonne

Default Re: Re: Airboat Excursion question.

Thank you again for responding so quickly. You have helped me make up my mind in what to do. I think it will be a great short trip to experience. We originally were thinking of Universal, but when I got the excursion prices multiplied by a family of 5. I thought that trip wld be better taken when we plan a Florida vacation when there is ample time to really enjoy all the attractions at a more reasonable price.

Would you suggest taking a taxi to local sites on your own. We will be docked at Canaveral for 8 hrs. Is there anything there to see other than the Space Center and Amusement parks? Any places you could recommend w/little kids that is not as crazy as a theme park but still fun and interesting? Thanks again.
Yvonne