Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Deen

Default Norwegian Sky

I am 33yrs old with two kid's age 8 and 4. We have been on one other cruise which was on Celebrity (Mercury). My wife has booked us on Norwegian cruise (Sky) leaving San Juan on April 11th. What I would like to know is we were really spoilt on the Celebrity cruise, and we had alot of people in our age group on that ship. Am I going to be on a ship full of 55+ people or is there a good mix.

In regrads to the ship I have heard good and bad about the cabin size, how true are the remarks about the storage space and the cabin size. We have two Superior inside cabins. Does it look like the ship need maintenance? Would like to get soem feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Captain

Default Re: Norwegian Sky

We've sailed on both the Mercury and the Norwegian Sky.

We had similar balcony cabins on both ships so I'm not sure how that relates to the inside cabins.

If you look at the sq footage numbers you'll see that the Mercury's cabins are a bit larger. Our sailings were 2 years apart and I must say I couldn't notice any difference. They were both smaller than I'd like but also large enough not to make a difference in our enjoyment of the cruises. I think the main difference is in the closet. The Sky has very poor closet space. But we slid suitcases under the bed and only used the closet for items that really needed to be hung. A small problem but again don't let it harm your trip.

I would say that the avg age on the Sky was younger than on the Mercury. You'll probably find plenty of passengers in your age group. The atmosphere on the Sky was looser. I personally love the freestyle dining but many prefer the set seatings. If you like it more formal my guess is you'd prefer the Mercury.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail either of these ships again. We loved both of them.
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
First Mate

I cruised on the Sky at the beginning of February this year. I think if your expectations are realistic you will enjoy yourselves.
Age mix: most people seemed to be in the 30-55 age range. Some older, some younger.
Cabin Size: Because we had heard so much about the small cabins, we were psyched up to expect something REALLY tiny - so we were actually pleasantly surprised.
We had a balcony cabin (for 3 adults) and found it roomy enough. The only time we felt a bit crowded was at night when the sofa bed was made up for the night but that was tolerable.
Storage Space: in the bathroom - good - lots of bathroom shelves; in the cabin itself - hanging closet space was adequate BUT only 3 VERY small drawers for non-hanging stuffj. We made do by leaving a few things in our suitcases under the beds. Bear in mind there were THREE of us. With only 2 per cabin, you may not find this a problem.
Maintenance: Overall - very good. We had 2 minor plumbing problems that were attended to VERY quickly and effectively. We even joked that the plumber was there so fast when we had a problem with the sink stopper that he must have been lurking around the corner waiting for our call. Decor could use a little freshening (bed spreads were a bit faded) but everthing was clean. I gather they are doing some major decor freshening before the ship moves to Hawaii. They could also really use some new deck loungers. The current ones are showing their age.
Service: Excellent - we had no problems.
Food: OK to good. Lots of choice about where to eat.
We loved Freestyle dining and disembarkation.
Have a great cruise.
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Passenger

Hi
We are also on the sky 4/11 and are 2 familys traveling with 5 girls ages 7-15. So I would say since it is our easter break week there will be alot of familys traveling with there kids.
To solve the small cabin issue we put our kids in a triple room and us in a double, that we we have 2 bathrooms which is much better. We were also spoiled our last cruise which was the RCCL Brilliance and that was also a break week and we all had a blast.
More info for you is that The Sky is being remodeled and renamed for NCL in May so our cruise will be one of the last as the Sky. So I am sure the ship will show some wear and tear but the price was right and it sure beats shoveling the snow that keeps coming here in the northeast.
Hope this helps.
Marcia
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:08 PM
trish1c

We ust got back from the Sky 3/7-- 3/14. He's 40 & I'm in my late 30s.

I didn't see any signs of wear & tear. The crew is changing to 100% American & they are an excited, motivated group of people. The new hotel director is amazing!

We met a group from another board & the ages varied from mid 20s to early 60s. I saw new babies & met a fun guy celebrating his 83rd birthday.

The atmosphere is very laid back. Freestyle dining's biggest advantage is you eat when you want ; who needs an appointment on vacation?

The inside cabin was bigger than our ocean view on RCI's Majesty. It does desperately need drawer space but otherwise it was quite comfortable. It was DARK. We ended up sleeping w/ the tv tuned to the bow camera station, sound off (they play soft music) to wake up w/ the "natural" light.

Enjoy!
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
First Mate

We were on the Sky about a year ago. Of all the major mass marketed lines, NCL has the best mixture of age and cultural diversion in my opinion. There are lots of families. The biggest problem we found, in fact the only problem was the cabin storage space. We did manage to find a place for everything, but it took some imagination. The cabin was clean, the ship outstanding, the crew friendly and the food very good. There were lots of young families the week we cruised. Entertainment more geared to those in their 30s or so. Piano bar outstanding. Have a great time and no, you will not be disappointed.

NMnita
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Anonymous Crew

well if you are going to the sky, and decide to take a wander into the Kids Korner area- tell Sugar Shelley that COokie Says hello
i cannot tell you any information about the Sky- but i have heard from Crew Memebers, that its such a beautiful and wonderful ship. You are going to ahve a great time if everyone knows what they are talking about