Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM
TaraW

Default Sea- just back

I just back from the Sea March 6-13. Had a blast- staff very friendly and good itinerary. Was in cabin 8218-cabins bigger than I expected. I would recommend this ship to first timer cruises. For those who have been on newer ships may be disappointed. Any specific questions let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sea- just back

Did you have a guaranteed cabin and were you upgraded? If so, how many steps. We think we got upgraded from an H to a DD and are ecstatic but we are not sure.

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Passenger

What shore excursion did you do? How were they? Did you have to wait for dining or did you get in right away? What time did you go to dinner? What times are the show? Thanks!
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:35 AM
TaraW

Default Re: Re: Sea- just back

I booked an inside (category L) and got updraded to a D. I am a travel agent so my sales rep helped me get such an upgrade. I would book a guarantee if I were you and call Norweigan approx 1 month before you to check on your cabin # to see if you got upgraded or not.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM
TaraW

Hi Kado,

We only did one sightseeing excurstion. We did the Sightseeing and Beach tour in Roatan. It was a very good informative tour about Roatan. The only thing I was disappointed with was the beachclub they took us to after. It was not the nicest beach- the nice beaches are appartently on the west side of the isld.

For dining we only had to wait 1 night- Captain's farewell dinner. The wait was only 5 minutes.

There are 2 shows nightly. The times are usually 730 and 930.
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Sea- just back

Tara, Thank you. We had booked a guaranteed H and were upgraded to a DD. I am very happy about it. I wonder if they could take it away and give us something else???

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

Norwegian Sea will be transferred to the Star Cruises fleet in Spring of 2005 enabling NCL’s parent company to go forward with its plans to modify its fleet profile in Asia with relatively modern vessels of medium capacity rather than mega ships.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Passenger

TaraW- thanks for the info!
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:18 PM
mikeap

Tara,
Glad you had a great time. I'm considering that cruise for our 20th anniversary in June. The biggest problem I always have is what cabin to get. I've never tried the GTY option. It sounds like it might be worth a try. We've only taken 2 cruises (Carnival Celebration, and RCCL Rhapsody) so I don't have too much to compare cabins to. The major difference I see in the cabins are the decks that they are on. Is it really that much different to be on a higher deck?? If there is $200 difference between deck 2 and deck 5, Is it really worth it? I'm asking a serious question here. Any education in these areas (decks and GTY) would be appreciated!

Mike
Austin
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Sea of Dreams

We booked the lowest catagory "N" as a guarantee for the 4/17 SEA cruise and have been upgraded to a superior inside catagory "I". NCL said we could still be upgraded more.

We didn't really care where we end up since we aren't in the cabin that much.
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Mikeap -
When in June? We are going June 19. As to the rooms, we've been on different floors, and it doesn't really matter to us. The things you have to figure out are: If you are prone to sea-sickness you probably want higher up (we've never been affected by it), you might hear more rumbly noises on the lower deck (that's never bothered us) and most important is make sure your cabin is not directly above or below a lounge or noisy area. Those rooms can get loud noises booming through. We've only been bothered once by that, and were able to move to another room. I personally don't feel it is worth it to pay a bunch extra for a higher room.
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM
TaraW

Hi Mike,

Kado pretty much said what I would say. I have found when booking a gty that your chance for an upgrade us usually good. I don't think $200 to move up 3 decks is worh it.
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mikeap
We booked a GTY this time, instead of the more expensive selection of stateroom. We wanted to be sure we had an Outside so picked the leased expensive outside or H in the NCL plan. We were just assigned a DD which is from Deck 2 to Deck 6, Promenade and Not obstructed. I am very happy and will only book GTY's from now on. The upgrade is a $100 value.

Norwegian Sea

Celebration 01/04
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
mikeap

Thanks for all of the info.!! I am looking at going on June 19. Our anniversary is the 23rd. I'm really leaning to trying the GTY thing. Trying to figure out the finances. My daughter will have to stay home, so I'm sure she will want to go somewhere after we get back...That means 2 vacations.....A slight budgeting issue!

Mike
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Let us know if you book for the 19th!
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
First Mate

mikeal, shoot for an outside cabin, GTY. No, as a veteran cruiser , 15 to be exact, but who is counting the deck makes very little difference. You will find the Sea a bit different from the Rhapsody, it isn't not glitzy in anyway, but the crew is awesome and the itineray interesting. As long as you realize each cruise is a new experience you will have a great time. I think our favorite cruise was on the sea for many reasons. Go with an open mind and happy anniversary.

NMNita
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:49 PM
mikeap

We'll do everyone!! I'll keep you informed. Looks like an outside gty can be had for around $1700. The inside go for a little over $1500. Worth it?? Never had an outside before.

Mike
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Passenger

It's really personal preference. I like the outside better but we've always been happy with the inside, too. It just depends on how much you want to spend. And we didn't spend that much time in the cabin anyway.
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to flutegirl624

I'm going on the Sea for my first cruise ever on the 12th of June. My 16th birthday is the 24th of June and my grandparents are taking me as a gift, i guess. Something they have always wanted to do, spend more quality time with just one or their grandchildren. I'm glad to hear that it's a good ship. Lots of people have been putting it down and I've been getting worried.

Norweigan Sea- June 12-19
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:49 PM
mikeap

Kadao,
Well I put my deposit down for the 6/19 cruise. Getting excited now. Booked a gty inside cat L. Momma said she would rather have the extra money to spend , and take a chance on an upgrade. Was reading the post about the anniversary package. Sounds like a nice deal. Might be a nice surprise for her too!

Mike
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
mikeap

Sorry....Had to try the clock thingy....

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Congratulations!!! That is so cool. I think the anniversary package would be a great suprise for your wife. We pretty much have our shore excursions figured out. Also, we have a great deal on transportation from the airport to the SEA, so after you book your air, if you want that info. let me know. Also, there is a lot of stuff on cruise critics http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...4&f=5023051067 about this cruise. I have a roll call posted there somewhere.
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM
mikeap

Thanks for the info. i'll take a look at the cruise critic. Don't need transfers. We live in Austin, so it's not a bad drive. Might even go down the night before and sleep in and take our time. I've got 86 days, 22hrs, 42 minutes to figure it out. (Got to love that clock thingy!) I've taken the Rhapsody and Celebration out of Galveston. Had lot's of fun. A good time should be had by all!

Mike
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked a GTY 2x with NCL. The 1st time I booked a GTY inside and ended up with an inside on a lower deck. the 2nd time, I booked a GTY inside again and ended up with an FF which is an outside.
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:08 PM
mikeap

good info. hopefully i won't get a lower deck. i would be with the engine crew then!

mike
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Hey flutegirl - Happy almost 16th birthday. What a great opportunity to spend time with your grandparents. Have a great cruise!
Mikeap - you might want to consider bringing stuff to the orphanage when you go to Roatan. Let me know if you want more info. Also, there is a lot of information about it on cruisecritics. We are looking forward to it!
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
mikeap

Sounds interesting....Tell me more.
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Their website is www.csiRoatan.org
They have a great school for the local children and are builing an orphanage (almost completed) for the others. They are also building a baseball field. They need school supplies, clothes, diapers, vitamins, baseball equipment, etc. We are bringing 4 suitcases full of stuff. We got some donations from a few stores and businesses. I learned about them from some cruisecritic sites and read lots of reviews. It sounds like they are doing great things for the children in Roatan, from what the people who have visited them say. They will pick you up at the Port and take you on a tour of their place - if you are interested in donating and seeing their operation I'm sure you can ride along with us if you want. Check out their website.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:20 PM
mikeap

we'll check it out.

Mike