Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM
BearHime

Default NCL Sun

We have booked our first cruise (our honeymoon) on the NCL Sun to Alaska in Sept. Has anyone ever taken this cruise on this ship? If so, um..how was it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation
Default Re: NCL Sun

We have a group going on the May 9th Cruise.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
BearHime

Darrell,
Is it to Alaska or the Pacific cruise?
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:04 AM
RG

NCL SUN is a nice ship. The food and service are in line with the rest of the NCL ships, marginal. NCL is a pretty good deal, but if i have a choice I would go on another line. I have sailed NCL three times and feel that it was O.K. for the money. I believe that the freestyle concept of dining is good for families with children, but it definetly took away from the total dining experience. The service tends to be cold and unfriendly. The rooms on the Sun are good size and were in good shape. The alternative resteraunts were excellent, unfortunatly they were more money. It almost seemed you had to pay for a good dining experience. I would only go on NCL again if it were a great deal, otherwise I would pay a bit more and go with Royal Carribean, HAL,Celebrity, or Princess.
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
First Mate

The Sun is an awesome ship with nice cabins, a wonderful crew and I think very good food with exception of the buffet which I have heard is better than 2 years ago. The entertainment is outstanding. As for paying for specialty restaurants, whether we like it or not this is the trend and we are going to see more of it all the time. I could be wrong, but I think, of the mass marketed lines, HAL is the only one without extra charge restaurants and I know Celebrity's is twice what you pay on NCL, not to mention getting a reservation is close to impossible. We tried in November. The place was sold out for almost the entire week and the price was $25 per person, 3 courses. The one thing that does concern some is freestyle dining. Although our family thinks it's the best thing to hit the seas in years not everyone agrees. Some say the service suffers and it may, just a shade. It certainly isn't bad. Those who seem to find it lacking the most are those who have cruised many times and like the pampering that comes with more traditional cruising. By the way, you are picking a great time to go to Alaska. Have many great years together.

NMNita