Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
A.S.

Default swollen ankles

Does anyone else besides me get swollen ankles everytime they cruise? I would appreciate any information on why this happens. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: swollen ankles

The only thing I get is a bad case of swollen stomach. <G> Maybe it's because of the cruise disease can'tmoveawayfromthebuffetitis. It's a dangerous disease which attacks about all cruisers.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Now that you mention it, I had swollen ankles the morning we got off the ship. I did not notice this while on the cruise, though. I wondered if maybe I was dehydrated. It went away after a couple of days.
Why?
Good question!

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Asealady

This happened on many cruises to me too with swollen ankles. My Dr said it happens at sea and after being on planes. I found drinking lots of water helps. I dont use salt and try not to drink too much diet soda. 2 weeks ago on the Dawn it didnt happen that much. I asked this question a few months back on the health at sea post. Someone had answered why this happens. Maybe if you go back to old posts you can find it.

PS I kept my feet up sitting outside on the decks when I could.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:20 PM
First Mate

I usually swell up like a balloon shortly after boarding the plane and dont' get back to normal til I am home a couple of days. Dr says it's due to humidity, high salt foods, perhaps booze, if you drink more than usual and just being on the water. Talk to your doctor, maybe he/she can give you something that will help. I, like Asealady try to drink lots of water to keep the old kidneys working and keep my legs up when possible. It seems the more I move around the less swelling. This happens whenever I go on any vacation actually.

NMNita
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Passenger

I think NMNita is rigth. Have you ever tried taking those water pills or something like that? It may help with the swelling. I think it really could be because of all the rich and salty food we eat on the ship!

jeff

NCL Wind
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:51 AM
A.S.

Thanks for all your answers. I don't think it happens on planes, so I guess it must be all the salty and spicy foods that you eat on a cruise ship. It does go away when you're home a day or two, I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else. It's hard to stay away from all the food, so I guess I'll just have to put up with it!