Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

Yes, most people do get off the ship. Also, why would anyone leave their child on the ship if they are getting off to go shopping, etc.?! What if there was an emergency? Anywho . . .

They do have activities on at sea days - their hours are 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10 - the 7-10 hours are also on days that they are in port. You can also pay $5/ per hour, per child every night from 10pm - 1am, if you choose to have them watch the children while you are at a show or whatever.

Hope this helps! : )
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Kids Crew?!

boubie, yes indeed most people get off the ships in port. That's what ports are all about. If not taking a tour some just walk around town, do a bit of sight seeing and head back to the ship for some quiet time around the pools without the crowd. Families with kids like to give the kids the experience of raising heck in the water and laying out without all the crowds. We love to watch the kids splash around in the pools. I wouldn't expect lots of kid oriented activities during port time. That's why lines like NCL show less kids kamp time. This is one of the lines, like Celebrity that spends the majority of the cruise in port. There will be plenty of activity for the kids on sea days as well as the hours (on port days) when the ship is sailing like night time. I believe someone on CC board just returned from either the Sky or Dawn and is posting the kids activity times. According to him it is a little different than what some have said.

NMNIta
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Passenger

I agree with Nina from ct. I have teenagers and they are asking about the teen program on the Majesty . It is something that children/teens ENJOY and I am not having to force them to participate they want to. Nina is right on target and I totally agree with her comments!!! She sounds like me wanting the best for her children.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Good heavens, we should let this thread die a painless death, but boy is it fun; that's the kid still in me. Sandy, I think you have cruised before if I remember correctly. If so you know the teen programs are not that exciting as this age group will meet the first night or two and do their own thing after that. The Kids Krew or whatever it's called depending on the line is more designed with the younger group in mind. Nina, now you are not a stay at home mom. Very interesting as your big claim to fame on this and other boards has been "I'm a SAHM" now we learn you really are not. I also was a SAHM for about 15 years way back when, I admire those who choose to stay at home: I also admire those who choose to work outside the home and spend all their at home hours with the kids. What I don't understand is why you have stressed the SAHM part when you really are not!? Oh well, I am about to go help my oldest daughter get ready for her move to Poland (actually she has been there for almost 3 months) but hubby leaves in a few weeks. They have to have a moving sale. I'll be gone for the next 4 days. By the time I return this thread will have gone bye bye I bet, but Nina will be back. We can count on that. NMNita
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:48 AM
CM

this is one grumpy board. I hope all of you don't plan on going cruising wtih NCL with that attitude. leave your hangups at the door. the kids will be fine. teenagers get bored, cause the older ships have nothing to offer. THe new ones do. And besides, most of the teens just find trouble to keep them entertained.
Don't you remember what it was like to be a teen?
everyone needs to just simmer down in here and take a load off. its just a message board, not an attack board.
maybe all of you need to take a spin into the kids crew area..because many of you are certainly acting..like children.
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM
heididun

My only question is this. Are Nina and 525600 going to be on the same cruise on April 18th? Oh how much fun that would be.
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Asealady

You ladies are getting very nasty. Telling her to tell her children not to touch the China. Come on now. I am sure Nina does that in that type of store. And she is right, what difference does it make who is watching your children, if you are at home or on your cruise. As look as they are happy and you know who has them. Cruising is suppose to be fun, not nasty.
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A reminder here for EVERYONE involved in this thread. Personal attacks are NOT allowed here.

If you can't discuss differing opinions on the subject, without the personal remarks, simply refrain from posting.

Posts which violate our User Agreement, have and will be removed.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I'm leaving work now and I'll let you know how it was when I get back!
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

So I said I would post something when I got back so here goes.

We arrived at the pier at about 11:40, we must have gotten ahead on the line cause we were on the ship by 12:25 and in our cabin. Ate and went to Spinnaker Lounge to watch the sailaway. Signed Ryan up for kids crew. Explored the ship and unpacked. Ate dinner at Aqua. Took Ryan to kids orientation at 9:00 for 1 hr.

Monday: Ryan went to Kids Crew at 9:00 (first morning sign in is very crowded, arrive early). They finally started giving wristbands out inside later in the week which saved time. I went to the gym and then met my husband at the spa pool. It was very cold outside, some kids were in the pool, not us. You pick the kids up at 12 and then at 2:00 they had Kids Olympics on Deck 14 basketball court. (this you had to attend w/your child), i thought we would be blown away it was so windy!!! They went back into T-Rex center at 3:30 and then back again from 7-10pm. More than enough time. My son likes structured activities so this was great for him. I went to see Jean Ryan "Andrew Lloyd Webber" show.

Tuesday: Sunny and warm. We met my mother at SeaWorld. Very crowded and hot. Bus left at 9:30 and left SeaWorld again at 5:30. Kids program at night 7-10pm and late night babysitting if you wanted it.

Wed: Sunny and hot. Took Art Deco and Pool Party in Miami. Wear sunscreen!!!!!!!!! Pool, beach, sodas, food , lots of fun. Kids program open at 7 again. We went back to the T-Rex pool at 4:00 after excursion.

Thurs: We switched to Nassau since Friday was Good Friday and all stores would be closed. We were there from 9 -6 pm. Very hot again. Just shopped since we had 2 sunburned guys, no beach that day. Came back to the boat and went to the pool again. Can't remember if they had kids program in afternoon, I'll have to look it up. Again program at night.

Fri: Private Island, only half a day, but it was enough. We went about 9:00 , got one of the last umbrellas. It's crowded, we rented a big round float, they did do kids sandcastles but we missed it. Had BBQ lunch and came back on the 12:15 tender. In the afternoon kids program was Pool Party, the had water ballon races and tosses, etc.
Again program at night - it was farewell "PJ Party".

Sat: It was very breezy, but the pool was heated to 91 so you could go in and then jump out and get your towel around you. Kids program all day - they had pizza making in the afternoon.

Sun: We arrived in NYC at about 9:00. It took until 11:30 to clear customs. We ended up leaving our room because they stewards need to clean up for the next guests. We got off the ship at 11;35 and were home in Staten Island by 12:50.

There were 1,100 kids on the ship. Originally 145 signed up in the 6 -9 year old but then it went down to 85. All in all I think about 350 kids were in the programs. Not all kids have an interest in it. But for those who do, it more than serves its purpose.

We had a great time and I can't wait for another cruise!!!
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Sue Smith

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

Thanks for a great review, glad you had a good time.
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM
First Mate

D, glad to hear your personal experience and hope others will benefit from your remarks. It sounds like there was plenty of activities to keep the kids occupied. 1100 kids, holy cow, hope most of them were well behaved. We have never seen that many, but there were quite a few on our Celebrity cruise last Thanksgiving. Most were just as polite as could be and seemed to be enjoying the week. Thanks again for the first hand report.

NMNita
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Tomct

Thanks to NinafromCT and Sue Smith, for the valuable info on Kid's Krew. Too much info for me to read right now, so will read and digest later. We leave this Sunday, and look forward to seeing my grandkids spend some time with other kids. Of course their Mom is looking forward to enjoying this cruise with her two young kids, but would like a little alone/adult time mixed in. Our entire trip (w/grandparents, mom, aunt, and kids) will be based around the kids, so limited hours are certainly not a problem From hearing some of our friends talk about their experiences, they were a little disappointed that their kids looked forward to the time with other kids, rather than that time with their parents.

Anyway, many thanks to Nina for sending me over to this "hornets nest", I can't believe you put aside subjecting me to your "friends" over here, just to help me out by directing me to Ms. Smith's detailed review.

I'll see you over on the other board, I may be too scared to post over here.

Tom
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Passenger

ok, my friend, Ms. Smith, has no children, although she did go on the Dawn last June. I am the one who just came back from the Dawn last week with my 10 yr old son and posted a review about the kids program.
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

Dpurcell:

Thanks for the review - I am thrilled you had such a good time! I leave this Sunday and I am counting down the hours! : )
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

No problem, if you have any other questions , just ask. I'll try to think of anything else I can also.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Not that it makes much difference Tom, but I sent you over here to read DPurcell's review as they had first person experience. Nina hasn't even sailed yet. Hope you have a great cruise and the kids enjoy the time with others their age as well as with the family.

NMNIta
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:42 PM
valtandc

keep pontificating

Why not let each of us decide how our kids best spend time on vacation and quit being so darn judgemental and almighty thinking we know the best way for everyones kids.

Pathetic and pretty sad. But more than anything I get a good laugh.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Tomct

Default Kids Crew?!

NMNita:

As noted on my other respoinse, I got so much great feedback I forgot who said what, but did go back and see that you were the one that sent me over here. I'm back for my 2nd looksee, and would like to thank you again, especially so because of the deluge of timely and helpful info. I'm sure I'm all set on Kid's Krew info, but still out there looking. I just posted a message for Rick on another thread, asking if any cruise lines had talent shows for kids. Not that we have any "American Idol" candidates, but our grandkids were just in a show at their elementary school, k & 1st graders, and wondered if they had such an event.

thanks again,

Tom

As for the exposure to the battles with Nina, I also appreciated her comments, and as I also said, I'm sure she did not mind someone putting in a good word for her. For those that get agrravated with such issues, maybe it would be in their best interests to just drop it. I normally go the other message board in a great frame of mind, and like to leave that way as well.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Tom ,

have a great time.!!!!As to talent shows, Dawn didn't have one, but we went on the Celebrity Galaxy 2 yrs ago and they had one for the kids, it was fun.

I know you and the kids will love it and I'm hoping you have a good weather as we did.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Tom, have a great cruise with the family. Our best ones are always when to are accompanied by kids and grand kids. The grand kids I am referring to are now 18 and 21, but were almost 10 years younger the first time they cruised.

NMNita
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Janice98

I'd like to comment on the kids crew. Got back a few weeks ago from an NCL cruise and there really weren't a lot of activities for my little one. It's not that I wanted him gone all day long but it would have been nice if there were activities all day so that when he was there, there would have been something going on. I didn't want to plan my day around the kids crew, which is how it turned out. If there was a scavenger hunt at 9am then that might be it for the day so he wanted to be sure to make that. If there had been things going on all day then maybe the scavenger hunt wouldn't have been so important to him and he could do something else later on when it was more convenient for the rest of us. I don't know if I'm making my point too well but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not that we dont' want our kids with us all day, I think someone totally took that point and ran with it and that's not the case at all, it's that we want the option of when to bring them to kids crew during the day. If you had little ones with you then you would know what I mean. They want to do stuff, it's their trip too and they may be bored while mommy and daddy want to read by the pool so it would be great if there were something more exciting for them to do. There should be things going on all the time and then that way they can pick and chose what to do. Not like a day care but more like a kids program, just like they have for adults. There weren't many things for him to do. He had a great time, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't because of the kids crew, they didn't contribute much to his good time. They were more like a babysitting option and I was expecting more of an activities program than what they had.
Old April 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Mark P.

My kids didn't care for the kids crew on the Sea. There weren't many activities for them and, in fact, when they showed up for a couple of the events, no one was there and they cancelled them. No alternate plans were made.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Megan112

Just a reminder- to all you people with kids-
When NCL charges for "PORT PLAY"- NCL TAKES HALF OF THAT From the Youth Coordinators on board. There are usually 5-10 YCS onboard the ship during high season.. divide that 5.00 in half..and split amongst the Youth Cooridnators. They are making PEANUTS. Plus, onboard Tipping- doesn't include the YCs. Feel Free to tip them at any time!!
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Eve

Hi-

We just returned on 4/25/04. The counselors do not take the children swimming. The counselors explained that they are not allowed to and it is up to the parents to take and watch the children. On the upside: the T-Rex pool has a really nice hot tub which is not packed. It was very easy for my to watch my daughter swim and go down the slides while relaxing in the hot tub. P.S. The pools at the T-Rex pool are heated.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to flutegirl624

Hey, what are the ages for kid's crew? I'm 16 and I read online that there was something for teenagers-does anyone have teens that did that stuff? I am wondering if it was any fun or anything.
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Flutegirl, our grand daughters and some other friends we know used the teen program pretty much the first night just to get to know each other and then did their own thing with new friends. Though there are organized activities for teen through high school age, you may find the program geared more to very young teens. Be sure and go the first night and judge for yourself. Let us know how things went.

NMnita
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM
First Mate

boubie, it must totally depend on the ship and the age. For our grand kids they loved (or i should say the one loved the kids program on NCL) Sarah was 10 and with the 9-12 group They had pool games, scavenger hunts, They toured the ship, but I don't think the bridge. She had an awesome time. That was a few years ago. Have talked to others since with similar stories. This past Nov same grand daughter did Celebrity over Thanksgiving. You would think with the school break and all the kids the program would be awesome. Now she's a teen and only went to the first night activity. She decided it was more fun to hang out with us as they really didn't have much at all. I guess it must depend on how many kids are on board, what ship and the overall attitude of the kids club leaders at any given time.

NMNita
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Why do people who have a bad experience on a cruise say that they will be going to another cruise line besides NCL and keep posting on the NCL message board.

Get a clue? This is suppose to help people who have questions about NCL. How are you helping by bragging up Celebrity. Go to their boards. Let NCL people who are still loyal to NCL handle these boards.

You can be loyal to NCL and still have a problem with a cruise. Go praise another board if that is how you feel and put the bad experiences behind you.
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Well said Marilyn.

NMNIta