Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Default Kids Crew?!

Are there times during the kids crew when the kids swim in the kids pool area or do we (parents) have to take them swimming?!
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Chrisobrn

Default Re: Kids Crew?!

I'm just back from the Dawn and wasn't there during a vacation week. (not many young kids at all) However, I honestly NEVER saw any member of kids crew or the kids. As far as I could tell, they were holed up in the childrens play area all day. I believe they aren't allowed to take them swimming either. Maybe during a vacation week they have alot more activities outside of the play room..I'm not sure. I just thought I'd see them around in groups on the ship doing things and it never happened.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Passenger

I'm taking my son with me also on all port days, esp. to meet his Grandma at Sea World for the day. I think for the few hours I might have to pay in the afternoon it will be worth it. He'll enjoy the club at night too.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
boubie

I'm with you 525600. I don't leave my kids in the kids club for the entire week but alot of people do. When I would go to drop my kids off I would always see the same kids in there all the time. I think it is great to be able to get time away to do adult things and also a chance for the kids to get away to be with other kids, but I would never drop my kids off for an entire day or go in to port and leave them on the ship!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
boubie

ninafromct - Just to add my 2 cents, I am a SAHM also. I didn't single you out in my post or say anything negitive about you, so I would hope you would be respectful and do the same. Even though I spend alot of time with my kids on a daily basis, I still wouldn't want to spend my vacation without them. I don't like it when they are away from me for too long, but , thats just me and my opinion......Come on can't we all just get along!!!
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Anonymous Crew

Its too much of a liability- some ships may do it- it may vary- but i haven't heard of it being apart of any kids crew program lately.
- Don't count on it.
Its better that you take your own kids swimming- NCL doesn't hire Lifeguards.
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Beginner

I will be sending my two daughters to join the kid's crew. It will be nice to spend some free time without the children once in a while, but it is a family vacation and we plan on spending a lot of quality time with them. I just think its important for kids to play with other kids their own age. My oldest is a little shy and isn't the type to just go up and talk to another child but in a group setting she might. Plus my two daughters (4 and 8) will be in seperate kids crews so they'll have to play with other kids and not just together. If anyone actually thought it was a hassle having their kids on the cruise with them, I'm sure they would have realized its probably cheaper to leave them home. But like I said , its a family vacation and it wouldn't be family without my kids.

Rick
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Kids Crew?!

That's how I think too. My son loves to be around other kids. We took him on the 11 night Galaxy in 2002 and he had a ball. We took him on lots of excursions, but the sea days he was in the club (except for lunch and dinner breaks) and my husband and I could sit by the pool . We actually watched his group go by as he waved happily to us. The also had a few family activities that we also attended. It was great.
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:19 AM
First Mate

Let's face it Nina is everywhere these days with not too much positive to say. That's why I didn't bother to get into an argument over whether other lines offer kid clubs on port days. One thing that I find quite interesting: she has been posting about how unhappy she is with the kids progam hours on NCL but didn't bother to just cancel her reservations and find another line. This is been going on for quite awhile now and she still hasn't even sailed. Someone did ask her on another board when she was taking her cruise, but for whatever reason she choose not to answer. Maybe she has since, I have been very busy and haven't had much time for the internet in the past week or so. Anyway, my 2 cents worth and I don't know why I am bothering, just couldn't resist this one.

NMNIta
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Sue Smith

No she will not tell anyone when she is cruising and she really has not been on the other boards as often as she was. I know some of the posters complained so maybe they booted her off.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
First Mate

YOUR ARE 100% WRONG; END OF STORY FOR ME!!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
First Mate

I guess Nina hasn't taken her medication yet, huh?! That anger is still overflowing! Just ignore her Nita, you have more tact in your thumb than she does in her entire body!

And isn't it funny how I said in my last post to her that most people on this board don't like her and then several posts followed confirming that?! I think HER credibility is minimal, not yours.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Sue Smith

Posted earlier by nina:

"This is the LAST time I will respond to you so go ahead and rant and rave all you want - your posts always give me a good chuckle!!"

Nina - You should have given up while you were ahead. Leave us alone. Stop the badgering. Take the advice of the posters above and TAKE YOUR MEDICATION!!!
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Sue:

That quote was actually what I wrote to Ninafromct but nonetheless, I completely agree with your statement about her leaving everyone alone.
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Nina, wrong again! NCL, like most lines charge for kids 2 and older. some only charge port charges for UNDER 2. As for paying over $500 per kid, fact: they must have separate cabin from you which is fine, but tell it like it is, not like you would like others to think. Some contributors get on here and bash but are not for real. I do believe you are a real cruiser, going on a real cruise, but what your problem or problems are only God knows I guess. Don't give us the song and dance you had non refundable air tickets. NCL isn't the only ship leaving out of San Juan or are you sailing on the SKY out of some other port?

NMNita
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:39 PM
marydiane

We're just back from 8 nights on the Dream and I was pretty disappointed with the kids program, as was my 7 year old. He did join the kids 2 or 3 times during the cruise for 1-2 hour blocks but the activites were very free-form. Not at all like Royal Caribbean , which he loved last year. Royal Carib was more like a really fun summer camp with tons of activites (sand castle building on-board, kid parties). NCL was more like babysitting. And there are only so many 2 hour sit down dinners with Mom, Dad and the Grandparents that a little dude can take.
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:04 PM
hokie

thank- you NMNnita-that was $250 for Cruise fare-plus port taxes- same cost as if my child was 2 or 22. Again - Nina does not respond- my point about disney- which was the same point I made months ago about this- is that Disney wanting $1000 vs $250 on NCL means that their kids port time is not FREE- its built in to the cost! so why does NINA rail against the $5/hr- and say other kid programs are free- not when its several hundred $ more for the cruise. I have sailed Celebrity and RCCL- both nice lines- but during this time frame the 3rd passenger was far more expensive than NCL and you could not use kids programs- so what do you get--nothing. PS- hope this helps- NCL and Carnival are the only 2 lines I have found which allow 2 yr olds in program.
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:38 PM
hokie

Again- look at any cruise website which has prices and Apr 3-10 is by far the highest week in cost pp aside from Christmas and maybe July 4- and all other cruise lines 3rd and 4th are much higher than NCL- I checked them all-so when comparing apples to apples- you are getting a much better deal-or the others have built in the cost. Again - go compare a cruise cost w/ that of one which leaves at the same time- or else there is no point. Why is it that nearly everyone on all boards disagrees with nearly everything you say- including blaming teachers for high cost of cruises? Go back and read some of your posts- you seem to take both sides of many topics just so you can argue- why bother- life is short- I only responded to all of this because I noticed before that all of your rantings about this topic would have been avoided had you read any of the brochures about this cruise!
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
First Mate

nina, you haven't even cruised the line yet, but think you are an expert. I haven't cruised Disney so don't pretend to know as much about the line as I do about other lines. I do know of 2 families (both we met on NCLs Sun, during school break about 2 years ago) both later cruised Disney and guess what? Their kids liked NCL and the kids programs better. In both cases the children were between the ages of 8 and 17 so not really little ones. One of the moms didn't like freestyle as well as traditional dining and was a bit more objective than you or even me. There is no way you can keep comparing these different lines as each has it's nitch. All I can say is thank goodness most do not agree with your reasoning. By the way, as I said before, if you are paying $500 plus per child they do have thier own cabin. I have checked the extra person charges and the per person charges. Guess you are having fun with this thread or you would drop all this like you said you were going to about a week ago. Have fun on your cruise. Can't wait to hear your comments on your return.

Nita
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Passenger

I have read all about peoples opinions of the kids crew and after researching what NCL has to offer to kids I agree with NINA from ct. We are sailing on the NCL Majesty and I have been trying to find activities for the children and I did find it for the Sky and it was not much (compared to Carnival). I have yet to find activities for teens on the majesty from charleston. I have a copy of the freestyle daily and notice on that the teen dance is ONE HOUR at night, then they have to leave the dance. There will be a several 15-17 year olds and several 9-12 year olds and I am searching for activities that are for them. The one I found for the SKY is for the age group younger than 7. If there are a lot of activities for the children then they get to meet friends and have a whole lot more fun. I know because I have been on several cruises mostly carnival. I am just worried if they are not allowed in many places and not much activities for them then they will not have as much fun. I want this cruise to be as much for them as for me. If they are happy then I am happy. Still searching for list of activities for teens and 9-12 year olds If anyone knows where to find this for this age group on the majesty let me know. Give Nina a break she is only wanting the cruise to be fun for the children too, I want this too. Before anyone tells me I should have taken a carnival cruise since I liked it so much believe me I would have if our friends had not gotten a group together and decided to go on NCL so no one would have to fly. We have 32 rooms booked already, some with children others just couples. I know with such a large group we will have fun but it is more enjoyable when there are lots of activites to choose from.
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:10 PM
First Mate

nc, I can't vouch for any ship except the Sun, Sky and the Sea. The Sky and Sun from word of mouth only, the Sea personal experience. All three seemed to have activities that please the kids, from about 8 to 13 or so. It has been my experience and this is my view only that teens much older than 13 or so will find their own activities. All they have to do is meet the first night or so in a teen setting and they are set for the remainder of the cruise. Most teens we have seen as well as our own grand daughters spend much of their time with the family, laying around the pool and doing some kid things at night. Celebrity last November for all practical purposes offered absolutely nothing for the older teens. Our grand kids still had fun. The arcades alone will draw them together. NCL had lots of pool activities, scavenger hunts, talent type shows, etc for the tween age kids. This has just been our experience. Others feel differently I am sure. If your group is going to have so many together I wouldn't think the teen program would be all so important as the kids would have each other to hang with.

NMnita
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:31 AM
SilentCrewMember

With everyone complaining about the programs offered on the NCL Ships.. have a look at what year the older NCL ships were built in. Do you think back in 1805 basically, that kids were taken into consideration? Most of the odler ships don't have the facilities/space for the kids. There is only so much a youth counselor can do with the kids in such tight, confined spaces. Only so many balls games, crafts or anything that can be done. So complaining about the Dream (in particular) that kids Korner can't fit a sandbox...
The teens are offered activities, but most of them dont' come out- because they like to hang out with each other after meeting the first night of the orientation..and they do group off. MAny teens like to hang out in stairwells and just chat .

Happy Cruising to all
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM
boubie

I have heard here and on other boards that the kids program basically just stays in the kids center and they dont go arounnd the ship and do different activities, is this true. We are going to be sailing on the Dawn and I would hope that a big new ship would have a lot of kids activities.....nancy
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM
asealady

We saw the kids having pizza and picking their own toppings. It was on The Dawn, in the kids section of the Garden Buffet. My children started crusing at 6 years old. They were just happy to be on the ship. The kid's center is nice to have, but they made their own fun. I agree with the one post that said, older kids and teens make friends the first night and just like to hang out in a corner on the ship. I believe its best to take them on a cruise passed the potty trained stage. Then you don't have to worry what cruise line will take them at what age. Kids should be able to hang out and make their own fun. These whining parents make me laugh. Are their children busy 24/7 at home? Don't they just play outside, like tag etc.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Passenger

to asealady: I dont think the parents are whining. They ONLY want the cruise to be fun for their children. I have been on a RCCL ship and the children werent allowed to go many places, ex> hot tub. Leave dance club after one hour. It is true that they can meet someone and just hang out but sitting and talking with no activities gets old being on a 7 day cruise. You need choices!! The adults have activities why not have enough for our children?? I think that is why carnival and RCCL is more popular with families because they plan activities for them. Maybe NCL does too but after reading these posts I wonder just how much is planned for them.
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:42 AM
First Mate

boubie, No, that is NOT TRUE. On sea days there are pool games, yes, you will see the kids at Kamp eating Pizza together, they have scavenger hunts, etc. There are plenty of activities especially for the kids from about 6 to 10. The older kids as has been stated by others like Asealady prefer to meet the first night and then spend the time pretty much together without organized activities. A couple of things come to mind here and this is from watching families that are having a great time together including our family: why do so many think the kids need to be entertained and in groups all the time or even most of the time? What happened to the time when kids enjoyed just being with their parents, siblings, hanging out at the pool and generally running around having a good time, using some imagination? I know, they shouldn't run around on the ship: I don't mean literally running around causing scenes. If your kids can't enjoy spending most of the time with the family maybe cruising isn't the best vacation for them. I am just thinking of those kids I have seen including my grand kids that enjoyed every minute of the cruise experience without spending much time in a kids program. This is not saying there should be no program, this is saying the majority of the time kids can have a great time with the family. That's my lecture for the day folks. I know I will get a bashing from some of you. Sorry! NMNIta
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
asealady

I agree with you 100 per cent Nita. Imagination...I found young children in day care for 10 to 12 hours a day dont have that. No fault of their own. Every minute of the day is planned for them. The parents expect the same on cruises and resorts. Kids just need to be kids at times. Whats wrong just sitting and staring at the ocean. Mostly every ship has a game room, for board games and playing cards. How about the fitness center for the older ones. There is really no need to complain, there are things to do. Expect to hear some bashing from this.
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
boubie

ok ok....all I wanted to know is if the kids program had planned activities because I wouldn't want my kids to go and just stay in a room. On our last cruise my son had the greatest time looking at the daily newsletter and planning out his activities for the next day. Everything was organized and he could go to the kids program when they were doing something he wanted to do. I absolutely agree that there are people who drop there kids off at the kids club for the entire day while they are off doing whatever they want - that is not us. We like to plan our activities both together and separate so everyone can have a great vacation! Thanks for the info.....Nancy
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM
asealady

Yes, daily activites were listed in the newsletter that is delivered to your cabin. Have a great time!
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:15 AM
boubie

I just wanted to know if they had activities for them on the days at sea, we have excursions planned for the ports. Why would the cruise line have organized activities during port hours, theres no-one on the ship!!! Don't most people get off and do things?