Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Sandy4

Default Kennedy Space Center

Does anyone know how far the space center is from the port? Is it best to take the NCL tour or can it be done on you own? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Lisa Rae

Default Re: Kennedy Space Center

The Visitor's Center for Kennedy Space Center is about 25 minutes from the Port. How long are you in port? I work at the Space Center, so I would be glad to give you any information that I can.

Lisa Rae
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Sandy4

Default Re: Re: Kennedy Space Center

We are in port from 9 - 6. I was thinking of renting a car to get there. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. My son who is 6 loves space and he is so excitied.
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Kennedy Space Center

If someone was not going on the excursion, how long would the average adult want to spend touring the space center?
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:06 PM
yvonne

Default Re: Re: Re: Kennedy Space Center

Hi Sandy,

I too was thinking of the Space Center for my kids 3,5,& 11 yrs of age. The trip is quite lengthy and I didn't think it wld hold the attention of my 3 and 5 yr olds for the full excursion time. Therefore my agent said that it is close enough for you to get your own transportation and view the space center at your own leisure. I think 1-2, hrs 3 tops wld be sufficient for my guys.
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:19 PM
dan p

We were on the NCL Dawn last November and we rented a van from Avis.They picked us up at the dock,just outside the gate.It cost us $69 plus the taxes.there were 7 of us.I think you can get a car a little cheaper.I think the price to go to the center was a lot more thatn we spent for the van and admission.If we had the van back by 5pm there was a free shuttle,after that you had to get a taxi.If you go to the space center early you can leave and go to cocoa beach,and still get the car back in time.
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Sandy4

We ended up booking the tour through the space center. We hired a shuttle for $50 round trip from artsshuttle@aol.com and they will pick us up and drop us off at the times we wanted. It was much cheaper than going through NCL. We leave tomorrow so we'll see how it works out.
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Beginner

We just got back from the Dawn yesterday. We did KSC on our own. Part of our group went in a car with a local family member, the rest of us went in a van from Art's shuttle - $50 round trip. We left port around 9:30, and were through the gates by 10:15. Our driver, Bob, gave us information about the area and pointed out wildlife in the area, pulling over so we could see some alligators. We booked the maximum access with the behind the scenes tour (52.99/adult). That included the off site center, but it did not have transportation. Quite frankly, we would not have had enough time. We were there until 5:30 and did not see everything. It was definitely worth it. The shuttle is very flexible, too, as we originally had planned on being picked up at 4:00, but since there was so much to see, we extended the time by calling his cell phone.

The Miami airboat tour would be great to do with a little boy. It was a long bus ride, but the airboat was fun and after the ride, a guy does a little show with otters, a puma, a baby possum, and some alligators. For a donation, you can take your picture with him while holding a small alligator. I understand that the tour does sell out, so if you are interested, I would prebook. You can always cancel when you get on the ship if you change your mind.
Old April 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Laura R.

Hi,

I'm going on the May 2nd Dawn trip, and b/c I have a relative who is high-up at NASA, made private arrangements for visiting Kennedy.

I cannot figure out what the transportation options are from the ship to the space center. Are cabs available in the port? Shuttles? Buses? It's just me and my husband. What would the cost be to take a taxi there and back?
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Check the port website - it gives many different numbers. There was also a big line of taxis, so you can probaby just catch one without a reservation.

http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/groundtrans.htm