Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Default Automatic tips

Just read an article about HAL. They have now added auto tipping just like NCL and others. For all those who think the $10 NCL charges hurts the service keep one thing in mind. From what I have read about HAL there is no options but with NCL you can choose to reduce the daily charge if you feel the service does not warrent the $10. According to the article which was in the CruiseVacation bulletin, Princess has added the same and Celebrity is now applying $10.25 per day. When we cruised Celebrity last November they were still using the suggested tip policy. Amazing how many times NCL seems to be the leader. First to have a private island, I believe the first to cruise the Eastern Caribbean (am not certain about that) first to offer alternative dining (le Bistros have been around for about 10 years or close to 10) first to offer several eating options, first to offer freestyle, first to use automatic tipping policy.

NMNita
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM
new guy

Default Re: Automatic tips

Auto tipping on a "No tipping required" ship? Sounds like an oxymoron.
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
First Mate

According to the article it seems HAL has totally changed their thinking after all these years. Apparently the original thought and I experienced this while still a TA many people actually were quite generous when the line had a no tip policy, but lately this has changed. Many have taken the NO TIP to heart and indeed do not tip. I am afraid if I were on a NO TIP ship I too would think they really meant NO TIPS. At least before becoming a TA I would have thought this. What HAL really meant was NO TIPS required. Interesting huh?

NMNIta
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
cruisenagain

I'm not a travel agent but I never had a problem understanding what "no tipping required" meant. On the flip side, I wonder if they make sure that people know that they can have the tips removed if they request it. If they weren't clear about no tipping required then they probably aren't being clear about that either.
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:19 PM
First Mate

cruisinagain, you are totally correct on both issues. I think I made the comment about NO TIPPING because we have done the all Inclusive a few times where is anyone is reported accepting tips they can loose their jobs. If I were on a cruise or anywhere else for that matter and there were tip jars, or some way of knowing tipping was acceptable I would tip. As for making it clear about the removal if not satisfied or adjustments from the wording in the article there was NO REFERENCE to any posibility of changing the amount as the wording was not "suggested" but automatic. Though we usually over tip at least one person on NCL we think it is rather clear you can adjust accordingly. This will be interesting to say the least.

Nita
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
new guy

I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to be humorous.

I always understood the HCL "no tipping required" policy. It just sounds funny to have that and auto tipping simultaneously.

When I sailed HCL, the service was great and I always tipped .
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM
First Mate

newguy, I knew what you meant. I think I was trying to clarify for those who will question the policy. You are right; also wanted to generate more responses to this post as I think it's very interesting.
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:01 PM
First Mate

NMnita..NCL is also the cruise line that literally invented the 1 week Caribbean Cruise.

They were also the cruise line that invented the concept of the ship as the destination....the NORWAY.

Despite lots of ups and downs, NCL has led the way.

Even freestyle is a major change in attitude...the concept of no more dressing up..which had become a sore point with many, became the acceptable attire with Freestyle.
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM
shadow99

Texasmunk,Don"t forget,NCL also started the private island (Great Stirrup Cay) destination,,,as much as people slam NCL,they have begun many trends in the cruiseline industry.Like you,we love the NORWAY also,she will be sadly missed.I am actually not a fan of Freestyle,but lots of my clients love the concept.Here on the East Coast,we get lots of calls about the Norwegian Dawn,,it sells really well in the area.
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Hey there Texasmunk, These are the reasons I love NCL and wish more people would realize they seem to set the way for most of the cruise changes so of course they will have their ups and downs. Freestyle is the only way to go in our minds. We tried the traditional last November but after Freestyle it just wasn't our thing. If for no other reason I have packing 2 formals, extra shoes and DHs tux or dark suit. Give me the relaxed life! I do realize this is not the way everyone wants to cruise; for them there are other options better suited to a more formal life.

NMNita