Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM
hokie

Default Kids Crew thoughts-port days etc.

Just returned from Wind with our 2 year old son. I had never cruised on NCL- but Celebrity and Carnival several times. We sailed Apr 3-10- which counselors said was the busiest week for kids- along with Christmas- by far. We chose NCL for 2 reasons- 1- most won't allow two year olds in kids program- BUT still charge full fare- and 2- Free style dining seemed best with a small child. Happy to report that both were great. The FS dining seemed great for parents with kids of all ages, as several times we saw groups of teens- sitting near- not with parents or saw teens at the casual restaurants doing their own thing- having a nice time. We usually did the buffet since our son was tired from all of these beachdays. We did eat 3 times in the nice rstrnts with our son and he did great. The wait staff in rests could not have been nicer , getting high chairs, and doting on our son. Kids Crew: I asked why they charge on Port days and why was it less extensive than other lines on port days- and the reason was simple: It was far too difficult to plan vast activities since most kids do not stay on ship, plus there is a great diff. in number of kids each week- Spring break DAWN had 1000 kids, Apr 18 they are expecting 200 ages 2-17. Renee and Christina were great counselors, and all kids we saw were having a great time. We put our son in the program for approx 10 hrs total, Some parents used it much more. Again- most teens 13-17 only used program as a starting point- so I would say those worried about port days- most teens we saw were at basketball courts, pools, hot tubs, shuffleboard - ping pong etc. Please ask if any specific Q's
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
hokie

Default Re: Kids Crew thoughts-port days etc.

Who said anything about "bad mommies"? please- do some people just come on here to pick fights? get real-- I am trying to let people who have questions about NCL kids crew plan activities, and be assured that yes there is port time for kids- they do the same things as non port days- it is just too difficult to plan the activities. If you have teen age kids and they cannot find something fun on the ship to do- don't go. It was clear that the teens met at the Kids Crew- and simply went and played games and sports on their own. Again- if anyone has questions about specifics- please ask
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Yeoman

One thing we have learned from the cruises that we have taken is that the staff all have multiple duties. The kids crew may not be open as much on port days because those same people that take care of the children during sea days are helping "crowd control", scanning sail and sign cards as you leave for ports and doing odd jobs in different parts of the ship, getting people organized for their shore excursions etc. Plus usually at least in one port on a 7 day cruise, after the people leave the ship for the day, they allow staff to get off and have a few hours free time. We have been in ports and saw some staff taking a break from the people and are glad to see that they have some free time. We know one staff person personally and though it may not seem so, she is up in the early am to help get people off the ship on port days and organizing activities from early am on sea days and then staying up till early am while the late night activities are going on. They cherish the port days. Our friend is on the cruise director's staff, not the CD or Assistant CD and still works those long hours.

Luanne

Old April 16th, 2004, 01:00 AM
hokie

michelle- Our 2 year old son had a wonderful time in the kids crew. Like you-we knew we were not going to use it that much- just try to get a few hours of quiet time here and there. How old are your kids? I can tell you that the activities for 2-5 year olds included things such as a pajama party, pirate night- circle time, dinner and a movie,coloring and a parade around the ship dressed as princes and princesses. There was always beach balls, hoola hoops, toys, legos and little tunnels to climb thru. If the child is not potty trained, they give you a beeper to come change diapers. No big deal to us. We spied on them some- in good fun- as our son just turned 2 three weeks ago, so we were nervous as to how he would do. There were windows everywhere, and we joked with the 2 counselors about peeking in on him. The 2 ladies from Canada could not have been nicer. Hope this helps some
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Michelle,
I have two daughters, ages 5 and 8 and they were in two seperate Kids Krews. At first they weren't sure if they would enjoy it but by the end of the cruise they loved it. If you have access to a fax machine, send an e-mail to me with the number and I'll fax you a copy of the age 6-9 program. We were on the April 4th Dawn and I doubt if the program changes much. I amy be able to get a copy of the 2-5 if you need that, just won't be able to do anything until next week. My e-mail adress is rnierva@yahoo.com
Rick
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Tomct

Default Kids Crew thoughts-port days etc.

Hey Rick: Only my 2nd time on this board, but thanks again for the Kid's Krew info. I do have another quesion, though. My grandkids were just in a talent show at their elementary school, and wowed the crowd. Though I noticed there is a Passenger Talent Show, I think Sat. night at 10:15 pm, I guess they do not have such a thing for kids. I wonder if any of the cruise lines do that. I might be more trouble than it's worth, but might be fun for school vacation cruises.

We went to the talent contest on the Dawn last June, and it was absolutely outstanding. Only one of the 12 or so contestants were out of their league, and even that one was pretty good. they also had a Sat. afternoon Staff Talent Show that was also a terrific show, with excellent talent. Three cabin stewards we knew were in the show making it special for us. We also recognized several others that had served us during the week.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Hi Tom. We didn't get to see the talent show on the April 4th Dawn. They had it scheduled after the variety show and by the time we got there it was packed (SRO).My daughters were a little disapointed since they figured it would be like American Idol but were happy to watch Scott in the Dazzles lounge (accoustic guitar - James Taylor,Harry Chapin. Very good plus I think my 8yr old had a little crush) I know that a few times on the boat they have karaoke - specifically they have a kids version sometimes in Dazzles and one other time on the pool deck. Maybe your grandkids would enjoy it. Have a lot of fun - I'm so jealous !
Rick
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM
yvonne

Default Re: Re: Kids Crew thoughts-port days etc.

Hi RIK2084

Wld you know if the kids crews are very strict on age? My 5 yr old has friends from his kindergarten class going. They already turned 6 my son doesnt turn six till the summer. Do you think they wld separate them. It wld break his heart.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:12 PM
ANOYMOUScrew

Yes, NCLS policy- they won't let you into an age group- if you aren't that age as the first day of sailing. its a stict policy that most ships follow- expecially the newer ships. Your son will be fine. there are PLENTY OF kids that are just turning a year older...within a matter of weeks even. he will be just fine. he will be able to meet a whole new bunch of friends too. He will be sad at first, but he'll get over it. And the 2-5s and 6-9s are in the same room. The 10-12s are in the teen disco during program hours. All he will have to do is just look across the room and see his friend. not to fret, he will be just fine.
-I'm a YC for NCL.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:05 AM
ANOYMOUScrew

when the ages are grouped from 6-12- its either because there aren't enough kids to run a 10-12 year old program..or because of the fact, that the ship is understaffed for Youth Coordinators. And that is just bad programming if they sat them infront of movies. I will agree to 30 mins of a movie per program.. so in one week they will watch just one movie. I'm not going to stick up for that. The shows- i think that 1 hour out of the 3- isn't bad once a cruise.. But you are right. That doesnt' sound like a lot of fun for the kids. I'm sorry it wasn't fun for them. The Dawn has much better programming. well, it did at least when i was there. It depends on the LEAD YC.. HOpefully you will have a better experience next time if you choose to cruise with NCL again.