Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Passenger

Default Getting to New York Cruise Terminal

I'm sailing on the Crown 6/13 and I was hoping to get a better idea of how the drop-off and pick up at New York terminal works. I live in central New Jersey, and I'm planning to take a limo to the port. That should be pretty straight-forward, and I'm assuming it won't be any trouble for the driver to drop us off, say around 11:30am?

It's the pick-up part I'm a little worried about. The ship is scheduled to dock at 7am on Sun 20 Jun, but what time should I tell the driver to pick us up? If I say 9am, will we actually be able to time debarkation so that we can hit that time? Also, will the driver even be allowed to park somewhere and wait for us if we are late getting in/off? If so, how do we know where to go to meet him/her?

Sorry if these questions seem obvious, but I've never been to the New York cruise ship port!
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Getting to New York Cruise Terminal

I also would love this info, we are booking a 7/2005 and are leaving from NY, also worried alittle about the pick up process. We live about 2 1/2 hours north of city. Thank-You
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Chrisobrn

When we went in March..we couldn't board until at least 12:30. Debarking the ship they let you off by floors. Our floor wasn't even called until 11:00! You'll never get off by 9:00 even if you do dock at 7:00. Best to call limo co upon arrival in NYC. It's really a mess with everyone trying to get OFF the ship and other people pushing to get ON the ship!! I'd wait until 1:30 to board..you'll avoid all the chaos and sail right on.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM
shadow99

I totally agree,it is chaos.....we went in October,and with other ships in port discharging passengers,it can be a nightmare..we live in South Jersey and we were able to get a ride from my sister and brother-in-law--did great up until we exited the Lincoln Tunnel.From 11th Avenue to the West Side Highway was a mess.Lots of folks seen dragging luggage through the streets that paralell the port..We did not disembark the vessel until 11:30am due to those passengers who did not settle up their shipboard accounts!Best to call the limo company when you pull into the dock...You never know how long it will take the customs to clear and baggage off loaded...I am a TA and this is what I tell my clients to do when they come into NYC...
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Getting to New York Cruise Terminal

Agree, the ship doesn't usually clear customs till after 9:00am and then they start letting people off. I called my car service when we got to the Statue of Liberty and told them about 11:30, then called back after we were walking off with our luggage. I would also have them pick you up across the street = like 48th St. and 12th Ave. You can walk across with your luggage. Don't have them come into the terminal, it's a mess. Dropping off was a lot easier.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Eve

We are from CT and just returned to NY Pier. We got to the pier at 10:00 a.m. the day of sailing and it was a breeze. We pulled right up in front, cruised right in, got our bags checked, etc. They did not start boarding the vessel until 12:30 p.m. I did notice that people who arrived at 11:00 a.m. had a long wait for getting dropped off, checking in with luggage though, so it is your call.

Returning was easier than I thought. I have a sister who lives in Manhattan and I was also panicking about this aspect. We arrived in NY at 7:00 a.m. They say they do not start disembarkment until 10:30 a.m. Being we arrived early, we started disembarkment at 9:30 a.m. I suggest you bring a cell phone. As we were getting off the ship, we called my sister and instead of having her pick us up in front, we got our suitcases, took the escalator to ground level and crossed the street. She picked us up on 12th Avenue in the lane where the taxis park. It was stress free and there were no long lines at the terminal.

Hope this helps!
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM
sunlover317

We're from Ohio and will be possibly driving to the port and parking. Any tips on this? Good or Bad idea?
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

:

There are a lot of people trying to get into the terminal while there are a lot trying to get out. If you are traveling with someone make previous arrangements to meet them across the street at the taxi stands just in case you get separated. It is much faster to go to the taxi stands and beat the crowd.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
CSM

Sunlover317: Parking is a breeze. The lot is right next to the ship. You do have to drop off other passengers and luggage at the drop off point then go park the car. We had four in our group. The driver dropped three of us off at the terminal. It was very similar to curbside check in at airports. The three of us just waited inside for the driver and then checked in as a group.

The best part was on the return. Since we were able to carry our own luggage, we got right off the ship as soon as we cleared customs. One person went to get the car and just picked the rest of us up in front of the terminal.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:49 PM
Tomct

We've parked at the terminal twice, and it was smooth each time. It is costly, $24/day x 7 = $168, cash only, but we get there early, by 11 AM, and are among the first to board. We then take a quick tour of the ship, check our cabin, have lunch a Venetian, back to room to unpack, lifeboat drill, and sail away. Debarkation is also a breeze as mentioned above, someone picks up the car, others wait at the curb. Just hope for early arrivals on each day, and everything will go smoothly.

On our first Dawn cruise, we were about 8 hours late due to a medical emergency on board requiring a U-Turn of the ship, and that can cause some nightmare problems if you do not have your car parked at the pier, or fail safe alternative.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Admiral

The "Chaos " at the pier is a function of the number of ships in port that day. One ship is no problem, especially the smaller ones. Multiple ships of course compound the problem That is why everyones experiences are different.
Try to find out how many ships in port the day you are sailing (and disembarking) and adjust your travel plans accordingly. Actually, although it may seem a good idea to get there early if there are lots of ships in port, it is probably better to let things clear out , past noon, before arriving. I regretted bringing my own car in the one time in four sailings from NY I chose to do that. I had to stick with the traffic for 2 and a half hours instead of just jumping out of the cab or car service like most other folks.
I believe parking at the pier is up to $27 or $28 dollars per day and it is payable only in cash , so be prepared if you choose to do that. (that's cheap for NY by the way, I paid $30 to park my car for 4 hours last Tuesday night).
Have a nice cruise everyone. Sailing out of NY is a wonderful experience in and of itself.
Do also get up very early the morning you arrive back. Seeing the sunrise over Brooklyn and Manhattan and the morning sun shining on the Statue of Liberty is not to be missed.
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to PineBarrenMom

Is there a ferry that goes from NJ to the pier? Like the one from Weehawkin I take when I come into town for a show?
We are being driven to the ship by my 20 year old son, and I'd rather he not try to navigate NYC streets.