Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Deck Chair Etiquette?

Hi, my first cruise was on Carnival Fascination in Feb 04, so I'm still "green" on how some things work on cruises. I guess I was naive, but when we went up to one of the pool decks, I assumed there would be plenty of chairs. Alas, I was irritated to find that EVERY SINGLE chair on EVERY deck space was unavailable. It's not that they were full of people: half had people in them, and half just had people's stuff and were being "reserved."

I quickly learned that the only way my wife and I could sit in the sun, was for me to go up on deck around 8a.m. and put towels, books, sandals on a couple chairs. I felt sleazy doing this, but when in Rome.....

Is this normal and accepted behavior on all cruise lines, or just a Carnival thing?

We're going on the Norwegian Crown in June, and I'm hoping that because it's smaller and fewer people, chairs won't be such a problem.....or am I deluding myself?
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Bahamabound

Default Re: Deck Chair Etiquette?

From what I have read in other posts, ( my 1st cruise is in June) you are not to reserve chairs with articles of clothing or towels. Other cruisers have stated they wait 30-45 minutes to see if someone comes back to claim their stuff (lunch, bathroom, etc). If no one comes back they remove their things and sit down. I am going to follow that same procedure when I go.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM
shadow99

This is one of my biggest pet peeves...It clearly states in the daily newsletter on every cruiseline.,please,no saving of deck chairs with books,towels etc.Yet,people are still rude enough to do the opposite..it is not just on Carnival,it is common on every cruiseline.I usually just ask people sitting nearby..I have actually moved things and sat down after a reasonable amount of time...I can tell you right now,that I toured the Norwegian Crown and the deck space around the pool area is quite small.You had better sleep out there all night in order to get a chair ().
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Deck Chair Etiquette?

Also, as a somewhat related aside: we went to Punta Cana Dominican Republic 3 years ago and stayed at the Iberostar. That was the first time I'd ever experienced chair "reserving" at a land resort. The vast majority of guests were European, particularly German, with only a few English speaking guests. Every morning starting as early as 6a.m., beach chairs and Palapas were staked out and reserved.

I assumed this was a uniquely European cultural thing, since I'd never seen it anywhere else, until the Carnval cruise.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Passenger

If you move the things on the chair after wating a reasonable amount of time, where do you put them....not just chucking on the deck I presume.....

And what happens when the reservees come back looking to lounge. Are there altercations and how do you handle them?

Will the cruise staff back you up and enforce the no reserving policy if you bring them into an argument?
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM
JimInBuffalo

Although they state it is against ship policy to reserve chairs, it is standard procedure on every ship that we have been on that the early-birds get the chairs and there is no enforcement of the rule by the ship personnel.

Rather than be confrontational, we took turns getting up early to reserve our chairs and made it a point to get through breakfast within one hour then go directly up to the chairs. On a day when the ship is in port, there is little need to do this since there are so many people off the ship during the day.

If we have chairs, we try to stay in the area until we leave and then we took our towels, etc. and left the chairs open. We did see some people who took other people's belongings off their chairs. As soon as the original owners of the chairs arrived there was a lot of arguing and name-calling. Not worth the hassle if you ask me.

The ship needs to abandon this policy or have a way to enforce it.

P.S. the same rule applies to the Showrooms.