Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Chris Mitchell

Default Norwegian Crown in the news 4/30

FYi here are some links to news articles about the current sailing 4/25/04 on the Crown.

I feel bad for the passengers whose dream cruise to Bermuda did not go as planned.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/3256871/detail.html

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E1702,00.html

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d.../APN/404301102

We have 11 in our family scheduled to sail in Aug. Have 3 weeks before final payment. Not sure if we can hang in there and hope this ship gets turned around.

Any other booked on the crown passengers thinking of 'jumping ship'??

Chris Mitchell
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Norwegian Crown in the news 4/30

we are sailing on June 6. just read a positive review from someone who sailed on April 18th cruise. There were no problems and they had a great time. Hope April 25th cruise problems were unfortunate incidents and won't happen again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The Norfolk virus is common on cruise ships.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

JUST CANCELED THE CROWN 8 /15 DIDN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE CHANGED TO THE DAWN I HAVEN'T HAD ANY GOOD VIBES SINCE I FIRST BOOKED IN FEB
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:08 AM
First Mate

Chris, before you cancel read my remarks on cruise critics. Not that they will change your mind, I just reflected back to a situation with the original STAR, not the one now in service. Anyway it did what was referred to as the Texaribean intinerary; lots of horrible problems for the first 3 or 4 months: really bad! By the time we cruised her the problems were worked out and actually had a nice cruise. The best even; not at all, but we had a good time and meant some nice people.

NMNita
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:05 AM
Chris Mitchell

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Crown in the news 4/30

Hi
we are hanging in there with the Crown for now..have 3 weeks til final payment tho I am going to have my TA double book us with space on the Voyager to NE/Canada so we have a back up. I am hoping NCL can't take another week of nasty feedback from Bermuda cruisers and will get it together.
We sailed on the new NCL Star in 2002 and the first month of sailings on that ship the reviews were the worst I have ever read...but 6 mos later when we sailed it was a GREAT cruise, ended up being our favorite of all 16 cruises we have taken.

So..it CAN be done..but will NCL make ti happen?
I wish I could be convinced.
Chris Mitchell
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
shadow99

Chris,just make sure you don"t let the time lapse before you cancel..the cruiseline will assess penalties .Had clients on the ship (out of Philly) on the week of the 18th and they had a great time...
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Al Eizenga

Hi
Put your concerns at rest. My wife and I and two friends sailed to Bermuda on April 25, 2004. Yes there were a couple of problems. I do feel that CNN and other news media made too much of what happened. Yes, there was a power outage for an hour while in Port, but it created little if any discomfort to the passengers. As far as the so called virus is concerned, I do believe that some people experienced some difficulty but foodpoisoning was ruled out. I was told by one party that his wife was sick before leaving home and played down the problem. Another told me that he too was not feeling well but treated it himself as he was used to stomach problems at home. The staff was wonderful, the ship is one of the cleanest around and the food was great. As much as I don't like to say it, I believe at least some who reported the sickness had alterior motives. We had a great time. The Freestyle dining rooms are a pleasant change. Also the size of the ship makes for easy getting around. I would use NCL's Crown again.
This was our 13th cruise and certainly ranked very high with us. Have no fear and enjoy your cruise in August.
Sincerely,
Mr and Mrs Al Eizenga
London Ont. Canada.
519 452-0259
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Chris Mitchell

Thanks for your soothing words. It has been so hard to read the reviews and media reports on the Crown thinking we had picked a 'doomed' ship! Glad you had a wonderful cruise and hope we will be as lucky
Chris Mitchell
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Parrot Mom

Have read comments on a daily cruise newsletter and there is more than meets the eye...sone passengers were put up at hotels and some flown home..Read that there is a class action suit being put together by a lawyer and his wife...lol.. There is more to suing a cruise ine than these people know or will know..lol Take it from one whose been there..... and won..
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM
C Kelly

Default Re: Norwegian Crown sailinga

Chris,

I realize how difficult the go or not to go decision is for many (Including us, senior citizens, who are scheduled to set sail on May 23rd. A little search reveals that over 1700 passengers have become ill with hygene-related problems on many cruise lines since the first of the year including Princess.

It's a tough decision but I suspect that the NCL Crown will be one of the cleanest cruisers afloat by then. I can only surmise also that everyone will bend over backwards to make the trip memorable. Can you imagine the financial impact on NCL if they don't do a Ist rate job?

We plan ,along with another couple, to stay the course and enjoy the vacation.

Good luck with your decision.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:23 PM
newlywed

Sunshine,

I read your posting. Did you get full refund when you cancelled?

newlywed
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM
chris mitchell

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwegian Crown in the news 4/30

We haven't canceled our cruise yet. We are outside of the final payment time (will be on May 23rd) so could get a full refund now without penalty. From what I understand the recent passengers were given the option AT THE PIER to get a future cruise credit for the cruise if they opted not to travel due to the virus on the Crown. I have heard that some passengers called NCL and canceled without going to the pier and now NCL is not going to refund their cruise fare.
At this point we are hopeful that the virus starting to fade a bit, maybe the warmer weather will kick it out. Looking forward to Bermuda and that beautiful pink sand!

Chris Mitchell