Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM
bandit68

Default Alaska excursion advice needed

We are about to book our shore excursions, but would like to hear other people's opinions on our choices to see they are good or bad. We are a couple in our late 30's and have never been to alaska. We enjoy more of the activity/adventure over the historic/cultural type of outings.

Juneau - Tracy Arm Fjord & Glaicier Explorer
Ketchikan - Backcountry jeep & Canoe Safari
Skagway - Sawtooth Mountain Rainforest Hike & Railway
Prince Rupert - ?

If anyone has been on these or knows about them please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Alaska excursion advice needed

We were in Alaska in 2002, aboard the NCL Sky.

The most exciting excursion was the White Pass railroad in Skagway.

Built in 1898 during the gold rush days, This narrowgauge railroad was restored for tourist service in the 1980's. You'll view mountain scenery from vintage-style parlor cars. There is some narration.

I would recommend booking this and all Alaskan excursions through the ship. Most port calls are relatively short, and you don't want the risk of a late return.

If a ship sponsored trip is late, they'll wait for you. If you're on you own, the ship might sail without you.

The scenery is absolutely breath-taking in Alaska. The towns reminded us of Dodge City and the wild wild west.

Barb
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
Passenger

"AMEN" to Barb's advice about the train trip. Here's a little tip too: When you board the train and you are facing forward, try to get a seat on your left. You will have a great view on the trip up the mountain. When the train heads back down the mountain (same track), the seats are flipped and passengers are asked to switch sides of the train. This gives everyone the same opportunity for the best viewing. We caught a nap on the way back down, because we had already enjoyed the viewing on the trip up.

As for your picks, sounds great to me for someone wanting a bit more activity. If your Sawtooth Mountain trip is the one I'm thinking it is, I'll bet that you will have a wonderful time! I had knee surgery not too long ago, or I'd be considering that trip myself.

One of my otherr favorite excursions is the Taku Glacier Lodge trip. Here's a website: http://www.takuglacierlodge.com/. The scenary is spectacular.

Enjoy your trip! Oh, and don't forget to take binoculars ~ a pair for each of you. Trust me, you don't want to be trying to point animals out and sharing binoculars.

Post Edited (05-23-04 21:21)
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/06/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Norweigen Spirit to Alaska. Just returned. My advice is don't book this ship. They aren't ready to sail for Alaska. We were the first ship to dock in Prince Rupert, they were lovely people, gave us a wonderful greeting and fairwell, but would never book a cruise that stops here. There is noting worth the price of any excursion. We did the city tour at $40.00 per person, made a get away at the half way point.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Dennis B

You should be more specific about your complaints about this cruise and this ship - yes Prince Rupert is a new stop on the cruise scene and their shore excursions will grow as the market matures - who forced you to take the city tour - the ship or yourself - was that $40.00 US or CDN - i spent $100.00US on a volcano tour in Costa Rica only to have it rain and become socked in - couldn't see a thing - mad no - frustrated no - disappointed yes but it was MY choice to spend the money and do the tour.

Thank you and have a good evening

Dennis
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Passenger

You are so right in your advice about doing your homework. Don't leave it up to the cruise line which port you want. I learned this on my last cruise. And no I don't blame the cruise line at all for the boring excursion, I picked it. It's comparable to blaming God or the spirits for a snow storm. If you get a chance, read my letter in response to the message 7/03/04. I do know that each port pays the cruise line a fee for bringing the tourist. Maybe in time Prince Rupert will be worth the dollars, just not yet. I do know the economy in Prince Rupert is surrering terriably at this time, maybe with in flux of tourist money the stop here will be worth it. Even at my age I try to learn something new each day, the importance of homework was what I learned on Price Rupert. Have a great day!!!! Fran Lewis

Old May 31st, 2004, 11:21 AM
Passenger

The Best of Skagway is not to be missed!