Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Bahamabound

Default rough seas

I just returned on the Dawn and had rough seas going down and returning back up (7-12 ft seas). I saw on another post that the seas are rough going to Bermuda and one cruiser would not go for that reason. My husband and I are looking into Bermuda in August, is the trip comparable to that of going down the east coast or rougher?
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: rough seas

How bad is it when the seas are rough like that? We are going on 5/30, and I have never sailed before.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Bahamabound

This was my first time as well and scared (not only for myself but for my 2 toddlers). But the ship is wonderful and you don't have to worry, you are perfectly safe! The ship does rock and sometimes you must hold on to the railing in the hallways-you could loose your balance.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Tomct

We were on the 4/18 - 4/25 Dawn cruise and the seas were very mild, with the exception of a few moments on our return trip Friday night when we heard a couple of unexplainable noises and some rocky rolls. It seemed similar to a small boat hitting a larger boat's wake, and as I said, was only for those couple of moments, and not even minutes. The only time I recall checking the TV for sea conditons, they were listed a 1 - 4 feet. I guess we wee fourtunate. It was much windier on deck this trip, than on our June/03 cruise, or our May/02 cruise on the Star, where we went into the south Pacific to visit Fanning Island. There was some rough water out there, but nothing severe, or for long periods of time.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: rough seas

We went on 4/4 and had 12-15ft seas the first night. I believe we were going through a storm. We rolled all night in bed. It just depends on the weather.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Passenger

We went to Bermuda in May a few years back. The seas were pretty rough. I will never go in May again. We are booked for August this year. I have a friend who traveled in late July and said the seas were fine. I hope August is the same!
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

i am going on the dawn w/my family on july 25th. this thread is making me a little nervous and queasy this will be my fourth cruise, but for my family and my baby son it will be their first. so i hope the seas won't be too bad. i am going to ask my pediatrician what to bring for my son. as for everyone else, it seems bonine is a good choice. i know that certain "spots" of the trip can be subject to rough seas, does anyone feel that it is typical to experience rough seas on the trip to and from florida??
thanks, gina
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Beginner

I have cruised this boston to bermuda many times and have only had one really bad trip and that was coming back. When you get to the shipping lane that is when you hit rough waters. But I can say honestly the rough waters have never stopped me fro cruisin Boston to Bermuda. So take the trip and enjoy just have some see sickness meds just in case
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Parrot Mom

The chances of the seas being rough from Boston to Bermuda until the beginning of June is high...we also dont go past mid-September..We did two week transitional from Miami to L.A. and all was fine until we headed up to L.A. and when I sat down for breakfast i just knew..I was the first one out of the dining room to head back to our cabin...lol On a trans-Atlantic we hit a huge storm...the Capain managed to outrun it, but now looking back I can laugh... the only thing I thought about as I laid in our bed was...where put the live preservers and what was our life boat station...the rocking of this huge boat put me to sleep....It wasn't funny at the time, but is now...would I do it again...you bet your life I would...
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I have cruised from NYC to Bermuda many times in the summer. Last summer I cruised on the Carnival Legend from NYC to the Caribbean. And this summer I am going on the Dawn. Almost all of my sailings have been pretty smooth however keep in my mind this is the open Atlantic and it is prone to a little more movement then the Caribbean, Alaska Inside Passage area, and the Med. And also keep in mind the Atlantic hurricane season is from June - Nov.

The only time I really felt movement was last year on the Legend....it was rough going down! It was the 1st time I actually felt a tad sea sick! But we had hit a storm ( I have to admit it was a little exciting -- not the sea sick part!!).

But for those of you on your first northeast cruise or first cruise overall on average its not that bad in the summer months from my experience but bring some dramamine.

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Yes, the seas were rough on the May 2, Boston to Bermuda cruise. The captain reported 50 knot winds on the Saturday of our return.

Bonine kept me quite comfortable, and this adventure will NOT disuade me from cruising.

The ambience of cruise ships, far outweigh airtravel to see those "Far-Away Places."
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM
mlfw

Default Re: Re: rough seas

A lot depends on the captain of the ship. Just returned in March on Carnival Destiny. Captain used the stablilzers very little. What ship will you be on.
Cruising is fantastic!
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Bahamabound

I though the stablizers were 'automatic'. I had no idea the Captain can turn them on and off! Wow!! How did you find out that information?