Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Suzie

Default What's the story?

Just returned from a repositioning cruise (Celebrity...Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona) . Our captain said that a Norwegian ship was turned away at Barcelona because they had made a stop in Gibraltor! Therefore, we had to bi-pass Gibraltor (refueled at sea off the coast of Morocco) and went to Cadiz instead and then on to Malaga and Barcelona. I'm wondering where the Norwegian ship docked and what happened to the passengers waiting to board in Barcelona for their Med. cruise???

Suzie
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What's the story?

There hasn't been a word about anything even remotely related to such a thing; you would think that one of the cruise websites would have picked up on this. I bet if this was the case we will soon know all about it.

NMNita
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:40 PM
hockeyfan

Suzie....

You are correct, if you go to www.Avidcruiser.com, there is news confirming your report....it's about 3/4 of the way down the page on the home page...just scroll down...
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: What's the story?

As usual, some who think they know it all don't!

I was on a Holland boat in the Mediterranean last week and know the whole story on this one. The new Spanish government has reenacted enforcement of a law, and NCL was turned away from the port when they called in Barcelona. The passengers on that sailing also missed another port and were not happy. NCL should have known of the new laws and has mismanaged another situation and caused more passengers to not get what they paid for.

Our ship was scheduled to call at Ceuta in Spanish Morrocco and could not get into that port due to weather (sunny and warm but windy). Our captain then planned to take us to Gibralter but was advised that if we called at Gibralter, we would then have to sail back out into international waters or we would be turned away from our ports in Barcelona and in Mahon, Minorca (an island off the coast of Spain). Since Holland has its act together, we didn't miss any ports of call other than our 6-hour stop in Morrocco. We were also advised of NCL's failure to obey the laws and the subsequent cancellation of two ports of call.

This is one of the many reasons why we don't cruise NCL any more.

Donna
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:48 PM
First Mate

hockeyefan, Thanks for telling us where we can read the details. As I said a couple of days ago, I felt certain someone could fill us in if this was the case. Thanks again. By the way, just a hockeyfan or a particular team?

NMNita
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Yeoman

It's weird that a lot of ships have gone to Gibralter and NCL was the only one who couldn't dock in Spain. It seems to me that the ruling should go for all ships. It looks like also other cruiselines 'mismanaged' their itinerary.

Luanne

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM
First Mate

I wonder waht happened to those who were to those waiting to board. Has anyone who really knows the score been able to find anything out?

NMNita
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Captain

No Luanne, the other cruise lines managed to figure out what was going on and delivered their passengers to the itineraries that they sold to the passengers, despite the change in circumstances. NCL did not. Barcelona is one of the highlights on any Med cruise, and that was a pretty big distinction in itinerary. On the Holland ship that I was on, when we were unable to dock in Ceuta, Spanish Morrocco, the captain inquired to the cruise line about the possibility of calling at Gibralter and was advised that if our ship called at Gibralter, we would be unable to call at our 2 Spanish ports. So the situation was managed well by Holland by not by NCL, as usual.

Donna
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:53 PM
hockeyfan

Luv2Cruise.... thank you for clarifying the situation regarding the ports...sounds like you've got the 411 on the situation....In reviewing Avidcruiser.com, it appears that this law is inconsistently applied, so that may be a factor in the NCL situation....Granted if this is the law, then NCL should "assume" the law will be enforced, and make their itinararies reflect the laws to avoid those problems...Kudo's to Holl Am...

But Luv2Cruise, your responses are well taken, accurate, and certainly valid, they appear a little "bitter" and "sarcastic" towards others....please lets make this a pleasant forum...and try to be a little more positive...

NMNita....Thank you for being a positive participant of the forum...and by the way I am a huge fan of the National Hockey League, and the Boston Bruins in particular....Even though they choked in the first round of the playoffs...it figures...happens every year...

Regards
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
First Mate

hockeyfan, I have to admit I am more of a football fan, then baseball; guess it's the age, but I do love Colo Avs, had to live years in Dallas with all the Stars fans always following the Cowboy fans. Maybe that's why we retired in NM. Here we have nothing so are free to rout for any team. Go Dodgers, Redskins, Lakers and AVs! Amelia, I too wish Cruisemates would step in, but we do need to remember it's a free country and some of the hostilities from a couple of posters go back years. Just look at it this way, it keeps thing interesting.

NMNita
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Suzie

I"m still wondering about the NCL passengers...where they had to disembark and what about those waiting to board in Barcelona. Thought we would hear from some of those passengers by now.

Suzie
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
ItHadtoBeYou

italy is great...no matter who you have to travel there with!!!!!!

--richie forzani
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Yes it is about time we spoke up. Please read the terms of service as personal attacks are NOT allowed. I will be deleteing some of these posts as they involve name-calliong etc which is not productive and very much uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you are not entitled to degrade others.
Jim

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Dr.PhilCruiser

If this most recent post by luv2cruise isn't what Jim Bragg just above that is referring to about personal attacks - I am surely confused as to what is?

Maybe NMNita doesn't mind - I suppose the rules of your site are that someone has to complain about the post against them.

Sorry that my well wishes for a wonderful vacation were deemed to be a "personal attack" on another member (that post is "invisible" now) - I suppose what this means is that truly positive comments are not welcome here.

It seems that unless you are willing to argue on this site - you aren't welcome.

I do wish all readers/posters/participants in this site a very happy cruising experience - if that is what you want - if you are more satisfied finding out what is wrong with every day experiences - then you have definitely enough ammunition to fill this site.

Personally I will find another site where differing opinions are both accepted and respected.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM
First Mate

Guess what? My timing was off; sorry, it was a year ago I guess, still along time to be fuming. As for doubting Suzie's report, I really don't think that was my intention: I believe I simply mentioned that, if this was the case, we would all know about it soon. It was not meant in anyway to doubt what she was told. Please can't we just keep these boards flowing in a manner that is not personally attacking, constructive criticism is expected and probably welcome as a matter of fact. It's the handful who just can't let a subject die that seems to be causing so many concerns. To refer to something as being a lie is very close to calling someone a liar, and that I do resent from the pit of my stomach.

You can continue to discuss this issue as long as you like, I think I have had about enouogh of this.

NMNita
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Admiral

This board and website allows all opinions and this is the thing we are most proud of. We do not allow personal attacks. Yes people are allowed to and even encouraged to tell all the facts about their experiances, good or bad. It allows others to see all sides, good, bad and indifferant.The only thing we want is for someone to be specific and candid when relating how they feel. Stating such and such a cruiseline is horrible and nobody should ever cruise on it and leave the statement at that will be deleted as it has not merit. Now if someone says that they received very slow service, the foods was not to their taste, cabins was not tidied up, etc, etc. then that is information and will stay.
Jim

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Parrot Mom

From what I had read a few days ago there is inconsistency on the part of the Spanish Government and I wouldn't go straight out and blame NCL.. luv2cruise may not care for NCL but many of us do. After cruising once on RCI on their BOS and successfully suing the line(yes, I did) To quote a gentleman who works for RCI and was on the ship when I told him I was disappointed in the cruise..his exact comments were.. and I quote "what do you expect from a cheap cruise"..!!! I will never cruise on an RCI again (maybe one of the other Celebrity ships) and I am a big fan of NCL. If you are so angry at NCL why do you post on the NCL board... NCL has been first in the industry with internet service on board, a chocolate buffet, all-American crew, automatic tipping if you like, freestyle dining, homeland cruising among other firsts. I'm proud to be a Lattitudes member and I've cruised this will be the tenth time to Bermua on the Majesty, a two week transitional cruise on the NCL Sky, and my first cruise by accident was on NCL Seaward.. and last year... we were back on her as she is now the NCL Sea.. Many negative comments are made against NCL and I know they are not the Princess or Seabourn, but you just have to read some of the comments from people who have come back from the Dawn or the Majesty recently...these people had read horrible comments from past passengers and discovered for themselves the truth.. Oh yes.. the NCL MAJESTY is the most re-booked ship in their line..

One of the things that has bothered me in reading on the internet are people who brag over the prices they have gotten, the size of their cabins, how many cruises they have been on..They worry about towel animals, the cruise director and G-d knows what else..Folks.. we are at war, our children are being killed, we have lost over 700 young men and women and your arguing about puttig lights on your balcony, the size of the cabin or the veranda.. One woman wrote about how she was upset as the butler service wasn't the same as it used to be on the Princess...

********Material meant to inflame edited out by staff*********
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

A cruise is just a vacation. This cruise message board is for information about cruises and every thing that is enjoyable about a cruise. It is not a forum for political or social causes. What difference can it make if you cruise several times a year or
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Sorry I slipped and hit ths post button.

What I was trying to say is that if you are fortunate enough to cruise several times a year and afford a level of cruising with more luxury and perks, why should you not be able to ask questions about it. Should all cruise ships be sent to dry dock and stripped of the suites and be redone so that all rooms are inside staterooms, thus making all equal? I have questions that only those who book a suite and get a great deal on the price, those who like the perks of the butler and concierge, enjoy taking pictures of the towel animals can answer for me. These boards are for asking those questions. We all share this message board.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Last time people. Lets keep it adult and fair. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion good bad or indifferant and nobody need to condemn them or poo-poo thier thoughts because they don't reflect your thoughts. As for being on this board if you don't like NCL, so what, it is called being balanced. The world would be a sad place if everyone could only sing the praises and not allowed to voice dissatisfaction. Minor things or those things that are out of the control of the cruiseline such as weather etc, yes, don't complain or blame the blameless, but if they saw a problem, by all means report it in a reasonable and factual way. Same for the good things, report them in a factual and reasonable way. End of this sermon.
Jim

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
UcruiseUlose

Hear hear Jim! you hit the nail on your head with that last post. Everyone has a right to post on the boards, and those who've felt that they wasted their money or had a poor experience have even MORE reason to be posting on the NCL board to make prospective customers aware of what's going on.

We had service issues with NCL on the Sky. BIG service issues, with s-l-o-w dining room service, mixed up orders, waiters not delivering condiments and difficulty even getting a glass of water. Why shouldn't people interested in cruising NCL be made aware of this? They certainly won't get this information from an NCL brochure. If you were shopping for a cruise wouldn't you want to know which lines hold service as a priority and which don't? As a consumer I want to make an informed decision as to where I'll be spending my considerable vacation dollars.

Hopefully I can save someone from making the same mistake I did. Be careful everyone, read as many reviews as you can on any ship you're thinking of cruising, and pay special attention to the negative reviews. There's a reason some lines have more negative reviews than others, and don't let the fact that some cruisers had the odds in their favor and escaped unscathed sway you. I was concerned about all the negative reviews I read regarding NCL prior to cruising but I foolishly listened to those who told me "don't worry, go with the flow, you just can't let minor things bother you". I should've read between the lines and realized that most endorsements don't usually come with those kind of disclaimers. And yes, I've cruised before, and always had great experiences.

Make your own decision if you want to gamble with your precious vacation time, I don't. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Never again NCL.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Suzie

I'm sorry to have caused all this "chatter". My experiences on NCL have all been wonderful! My question was : What was the final outcome to the passengers who were disembarking and the ones that were ready to embark in Barcelona? It could have happened to any ship. Sounds as if Spain made that call arbitrarily.

Suzie
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM
UcruiseUlose

Good question. It doesn't appear that anyone knows though. I would hope that NCL would have made arrangements and paid for transportation to the original disembarkation/ embarkation ports. That would be the only right thing to do.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
ItHadtoBeYou

my wife had problems on the Sky too. but then she just has problems wherever she goes. or doesn't go.

--richie forzani
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Parrot Mom

Strenuously I object to having my post edited...there are people on this board who probably are not using their real e-mail names...I ALWAYS have and am available to answer questions.... Yes, on a two week cruise on the Sky we had the worst service ever...but that doesn't stop me from going on NCL.. If the same people continually complain about a certain cruise line (I'm guilty myself) mention it once, but not on every site continually Jim.. since I don't remember what I wrote you should write me and tell me what is offensive to you.. I object to censorship.....
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:28 AM
First Mate

BAck to a little more positive comments. It does appear the Sky has had some serious service problems lately, I am sure due to the total changeover of the crew, but if you read the thread on CC about the 17 day Panama Canal itinerary you will see almost total positive remarks. All say there were a few service related problems, but very minor and the rest of the cruise totally satisfying. That's good news as we loved the Sky, but that was over a year ago.

NMNita
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Admiral

No censorship, just the duty and right of this website to remove anything that violates the Terms of Service which include personal attacks. What was removed will not be reposted, that rather defeats the purpose of deleteing it don't you think?
Jim