Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM
brandy

Default total extra cost alaskan cruise

thank you for the replies so far....they are both helpful....I would like to hear from more folks too.....i am not poor but not rich either and would like an average of a few folks that have gone.....it is for 7 days.......thanks again you two!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Re: total extra cost alaskan cruise

Did Alaska 6/03 on Celebrity Mercury. The big extra cost here is the shore trips. All are very pricey and we were on a ver, very tight budget as oldest daughter got married 2 months later. So FYI: in both Sitka and Juneau the native tribes operate on/off buses that hit most of the major tourist sites for a very reasonable pp charge, like about $15 for all day privaleges. No we didn't dogsled or flight see but we got a taste and I am lokking to go again summer 05 but youngest daughter is getting married then. Also, in Juneau the cruise lines offer a tour to Medenhall glacier. DON'T. It is much cheaper on your own. The bus from the pier is $5 each way andI forget the fee bas hubby is handicapped and we have a US National Parks freeby pass.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: total extra cost alaskan cruise

Shore excursions in Alaska are the priciest I have, personally, done. However, HONESTLY, if I had to charge them, and spend the next year paying for them, I would. I have a group of almost 30 cabins full of family & friends cruising Alaska in 2 weeks. Our group certainly represents a wide spectrum of income brackets. My husband was one of the first to echo my feelings to our group when someone cringed over the price of the excursions. As my husband points out, it would be SUCH a shame to go to Alaska and miss something which you REALLY want to do. One good example (for my husband & I) is the first time we cruised Alaska, my husband really wanted to take the Taku Lodge Floatplane trip www.takuglacierlodge.com/ . It was very expensive, so we debated on going. Finally, we decided to go because we weren't certain that we would ever have the opportunity to return to Alaska. Our opinion is that it was the single greatest trip we have taken!

Another "must-do" is the White Pass Railway trip in Skagway. http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/index2.html Spectacular views!

NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/06/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98