Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM
CatherineS

Default Engine problems on NCL Dream

I just heard that the Dream has had engine problems and has not been making every port on its Baltic cruises. Specifically, it's missed Talinn.
Does anyone have any info on this or on future cruises on the Dream? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Engine problems on NCL Dream

If you scroll down a little, there was some info about this last week.
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Linda Nell

Hi. We sailed on the Dream May 11 & missed Estonia. If you check the poll results at this site, you will see this ship got low ratings on most everything. Good luck. Linda
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:30 AM
chip brady

I just returned May 25 from the Baltics on the Dream. Yes we skipped Tallin. However a crew member told us tha the problem was between NCL and The port of Tallin. I do know that we sailed at full speed from St Petersburg AND even arrived 2 hours early i Copenhagen. It is very smooth and I do not believe the engine story. I think NCL is saving docking fees.

Chip Brady
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:33 AM
chip brady

Default Re: Re: Engine problems on NCL Dream

We also were on the may 13th sailing of the Dream. The nicest crew and food We have had in at least 10 cruises. Ship was super clean and room steward was wonderful. Great entertainment also. Chip Brady
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:46 AM
chip Brady

I do not believe it is engine problem at all. I understand that Ncl and Tallin have a problem over docking charges.
We missed Tallin last month, but when sailing from Russia to Copenhagen, we arrived over 2 hours early and ship was very smooth.

Chip Brady
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
Romy

Hi, we're on the Dream 8/5 and the latest I've heard is that the repairs will be made in July, early I believe and it does not need to be drydocked to make these specific repairs. I've tried calling NCL and worthless TA my MIL booked this through and nobody will talk to me since I did not book the cruise myself.

I have been informed of this by more persistent upcoming Dream cruisers that have indeed "talked" with someone and feel somewhat confident.

I don't normally complain about a free trip, but I like being in control of my vacations. I never use a travel agent, I book directly thru the cruiseline, Celebrity twice without any problems. Now I just have to wing it as the never ending power struggle between mother in law and me will continue. Don't get me wrong, I love her and am thrilled she has invited us and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time with her. I just have finally reached the point where I can say "okay, I admit it, I'm a control freak, and try to move on and learn something from it".

But rest assured, if her TA or NCL screws this up for us, after being very satisfied, paying customers and Captain's Club members on Celebrity; we will make sure either the cruiseline or the TA will hear from me. I will not under any circumstances blame my mother in law for any issues as this is a kind, loving thing she's doing and she is getting up in years.

Thanks for letting me share but this trip has been planned for almost 8 months are we're a month away and the issues with the engine have rumbled my crankshaft a little bit. Plus it's the first time in Europe for us!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Romy

If this is true, there better be an upgrade at the very least, in fact my mother in law should demand her money back if this proves to be correct. I would expect the same if I were paying for it

I've never had a bad cruise nor have I ever complained and I'm getting some very nervous feelings.

I'm smelling a rat!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
First Mate

The worst you can do is start looking for trouble! Relax, expect to enjoy your cruise, blow little concerns and situation off and have a wonderful experience. Life is too short to look for trouble.

nMNita
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Romy

You're right NM! It just frustrates me that there's so little information from NCL and my hands are tied as far as getting anything confirmed. I've heard the horror stories and experienced some personally only recently when I tried to contact NCL customer service and the door was litterally slammed in my face because I did not make the booking.

Breathe, relax, breathe, relax.

Thanks, I needed that!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
Romy

Default Re: Re: Re: Engine problems on NCL Dream

Okay, what a difference a little time makes. We got our docs yesterday and Tallinn is back on the itinerary. Apparently, it's been fixed or is about to be repaired.

I've heard so many different stories I guess we'll find out when we pull into port.

My TA did tell us that the 7/14 itinerary is indeed skipping Tallinn, but it's on for 8/5.

Happy Travels!!