Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Default Where is Pride of Aloha?

I can't believe that there are no interior photos or reviews posted on this ship to date. People have been on her since Monday and there is nothing to see or read.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:59 PM
shoreguy

Default Re: Where is Pride of Aloha?

The ship just ended it's first cruise, a 4 day in LA. They just got off the ship! I am sure as folks get home to their PCs information will begin to trickle out.. If you are lucky one or two folks who post here were on that cruise.
Old June 12th, 2004, 12:39 AM
First Mate

Can't fault a guy for being impatient.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:13 PM
JoeandMarc

Didn't go too well...
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
creuisecrazy

Default Re: Re: Where is Pride of Aloha?

Nice 'teaser' but what happened? Good points & bad please - must be some of each right? What did u think of cabin refurbishing - new mattresses, towels etc? Entertainment ? Food - ah the food?? Thanks & happy 'cruisin'!!
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Billand Laura

Check out Cruise News Daily at www.cruisenewsdaily.com

They have some nice pictures of the ship's interior...
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Intrepidcruiser

You can also check out the reviews and thread entitled "Pride of Aloha Disaster" on cruisecritic.com.

Bottom line, the POA was having service issues (BIG service issues) in early spring when we sailed it as the Sky, probably due to the changeover in crew - and is STILL having issues now that it's been reflagged.

NCL has their hands full with this one, the service sounds like it hasn't improved one a in the past 4 months. They can't seem to get the crew up and running. The problems described in the "new" POA cruise are identical to those we found when it was still the Sky.

Buyer beware and don't expect much in the way of service.
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Intrepidcruiser

Also cruisecrazy, the food was described as being pretty bad. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but....oh well, read for yourself.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

AAAHHH - what a shame...so sorry for those who sailed on 'her' with high expectations! It has, at least ,given us reason to lower them a bit..I was wondering about American crews - different work ethics than those who really need the jobs...and having to pay more to the crew also means less $ for better food, etc plus its harder to keep them (they have more job & $ options) and causes problems with maintaining staffing levels & caliber resulting in worse service. Not sure this will be workable for the Star group (NCLs owners)..let's remember that others have gone bankrupt very likely for the same reasons. Ah well, at least the decor and the linens are nice and new but what gives with peeling decals on the outside of the ship where the transfers are rubbing against it, don't they have rubber guards to help cushion that---thought it was painted on also - sorry for my ignorance in this matter? Appreciate your taking valuable time to answer my question. Happy cruisin' all!
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Too bad to hear of the problems with POA - both for NCL and especially for those paying passengers. Let's hope it gets resolved soon as it seemed like there was a market for Hawaii cruises (w/o Fanning Island).

On that note we were on the Monarch of the Seas (RCI) in March and I do recall hearing complaints after she came over to the west coast last year. The captain echoed that explaining that they did have problems previously, but it was now pretty much a "happy ship" now. It was mainly to do with some of the crew (who I guess resided in the carribbean) not being happy with the transfer to LA.

Didn't Princess cancel a few cruises last year with the Island and/or Coral, which were delayed from the builders?

I think part of the problem is with those in the cruse lines who market the cruises and they (and the shareholders) want everything rushed into service. They never believe that any delays would happen to THEIR SHIP. So the ship enters service incomplete (including untrained crew?) like POA.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth. We'll see how our first NCL cruise goes and then go from there.

richard

Old June 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

MIAMI -- Norwegian Cruise Line canceled the June 18 two-day travel agent cruise on the Pride of Aloha, saying it wanted to give the ship's crew "a well-deserve rest in preparation for the 12-day transpacific cruise to Hawaii."
An overnight cruise on the ship July 2 also was canceled to give the crew an opportunity to "recharge," the line said.

The ship is scheduled to sail the 12-day revenue cruise to Hawaii, which starts June 20, as well as its inaugural Hawaii sailing on July 4.

In a statement, NCL apologized to its agent partners and passengers for the canceled cruises and praised the crew.

"The company is very grateful for everything the crew has done to assist its efforts in successfully launching NCL America's U.S. flagged operations," NCL said.

The Pride of Aloha carries about 800 crewmembers.

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:29 AM
shoreguy

As I posted under your thead pridevacation:

"They are also reducing passenger load for the 12 day - bumping and offering full refunds and credits toward another cruise or two. Some folks have reported a 200% credit.

They seem to be having some issues getting the new crew up to speed in such short notice. Remember the re-flagging as a US ship has resulted in just about a 100 % turnover in the crew.

Hope things settle down shortly. Many want this bold experiment to work"
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:17 PM
JW

I just completed a week cruise on Aloha that left LA 13 June. Free food is only in the main dining, the buffet, extremely limited room service, and so-so pizza (cheese, peporoni, or vegie) fresh from the freezer "24 hours a day" - not.

The 3 service fee options. I heard they were great. They booked quickly because of the following:

The "FREE" food - I have eaten better food in military chow halls. The only difference between the main dining and the buffet is the choice of oatmeal, which is actually grits.

Very basic food. Lobster night was Tuesday. Did you miss that? That is because the lagostino mini tail [that was the same size as the shrimp] in your linguini was their version of lobster night.

Bringing kids and looking forward to Planet Kids? It is a fantasy, a rather bare large room with red walls. They will take great care of your kids during the day for $8.50 an hour.

There is no kid, or teen, day program. Not even activities, save an afternoon craft that quickly runs out of supplies.

The kid's program is provided from 7PM to 10PM. That is all, save one day when they meet the kids at 6:30 for dinner. whippee

Brace yourself for the 3 hour dining experience [with your kids and other peoples' crying bored hungry kids]

If you experienced this lovely cruise, please sign up at the NCL13June group at yahoo.com.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:26 PM
JW

I would like a 200% credit. How did you learn of this?
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM
shoreguy

JW

NCL would be crazy to give you any credit - on every board posting the same review over and over - proposing legal action - before you even try and settle any issues you may have had like a rational consumer with NCL . Once you bring the lawyers into any dispute you tie the hands of the business people.

200% was offer to passengers willing to give up their booking so they won't have to bump passengers.
Old June 20th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Jennifer M.

They did bump passangers and I have not proposed legal action. I am seeking fair compensation. I will succumb to that if I must, but I am giving NCL the opportunity to be just. The purpose of the group, as I have stated, is to provide support for each other's claims since we did happen to be on the same boat at the same time.

I do hope your vacation with them goes as you expect. I suspect they are working these issues.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:57 AM
intrepidcruiser

I have to agree with the poor cruisers who suffered through that cruise. I wasn't one of them, but my experience in April aboard the Sky was nearly identical. They started retraining crew then and apparently service hasn't improved one iota. That fact doesn't bode well for the future of this ship I'm afraid. I mean, they've been training new crew for over 4 months and they STILL can't get their act together! Exhausted crew? Give me a break. The problem with NCL is inept management, from the very top. The fact that their customers have to endure shoddy service should make NCL ashamed and should spur them to make some attempt to compensate their customers.

In my case I wrote 3 letters to them in April to inform them of my experience and haven't so much as received a phone call. Perhaps the idea of a group getting together is a good one, there is strength in numbers. I hope you all get some satisfaction, because I know you deserve it. No one wants to waste their time and money on vacation in line and not receiving service, no matter what the excuse is from the company who should be providing that service.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Kevin Anthoney

Ironically, the same day that you posted this question, I posted my Reader Review of the Pride of Aloha. Hopefully, you will have had a chance to read what I had to say.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Kevin, I read your review. I amreally nervous about my August 8 cruise. I have zero confidence in NCL.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:33 AM
Passenger

I to am hoping that things improve before my September sailing. I have never sailed with NCL and hope that my experience is a good one.
Just have to wait and see......................................
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM
JimInBuffalo

We had issues with our first "Freestyle" cruise with the Dream in March of this year. It started with the reservations clerks in Miami and we had a few disappointments on the ship. Overall we were pleased with the cruise due to the fantastic passengers that we met during our voyage.

We were not impressed by the service on the ship but overlooked it since we were having fun meeting new people every day. We felt the food was very good but not as nice as we experienced on previous cruises with NCL and other lines.

NCL messed-up our reservation and we did not get a free night in New Orleans the night before our repositioning cruise so they substituted a night in Miami (at the end of the cruise) at "The Palms" a 5-Star Hotel in South Beach. We were very impressed even though we had really wanted to stay in the Big Easy.

The bottom line, as I read the string above about NCL management and the problems that they have had, it seems to me that it is a fact that NCL has major issues that they should be addressing. Giving refunds and 200% credit on future trips is rediculous when they should get the staff in line, deliver what they are advertizing and make the passengers happy. "Do it right the first time".

With the cut-throat competition in the cruise industry these days and the glut of cabins available, it is unbelievable that any cruise company can run their business with such glaring problems.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
JohnInSeattle

I was on the inaugural sailing of the POA out of San Francisco on June 7th.
If it weren't for the fun people I met and partied with onboard, this cruise would have been a disaster.
The embarkation was long, late, and miserable.
The all American crew concept is going to fail horribly. Quite frankly, the attitude of the young crew was terrible. I heard several of them complaining openly and very few seeemd happy to be on the ship. One room service steward confided in me that many of the crew members were unhappy and he was planning to get out as soon as he could.
The food was mediocre to good, nothing outstanding.
The drinks onboard are terribly expensive averaging 8 dollars or more.
The decor is cheap and tacky EXCEPT for the Outrigger Lounge which is lovely.
The room cabin decor is even cheaper and even tackier than the public rooms.
The beds are harder than hard with cheap sheets and cheap towels in the bathroom.
You could tell that the ship retrofit has been pasted and glued on. In many places, the ship interior looks worn and dated and even dirty. Walk into the midship glass elevators and look at all the dirt in the atrium as you ascend or descend.
This is not the way I would want to see Hawaii.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Passenger

Oh My !!!!!!!!!! doesn't sound good
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM
chip Brady

as i understand, the crew is all american. I am a u s citizen and proud of it, but we will never get the servece from american kids that we get from small countries. Our kids have been spoiled all their life for the most part, so why should they suddenly care?
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:27 PM
First Mate

All well and good, but towels and sheets do not a cruise make.

Service is the key, and what will make or break a cruise.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:47 AM
tez

One of the problems is the high turnover of the crew. some of the american workers think it's a pleasure cruise. The beer is cheap and with that comes assorted alcohol problems. the stress of working 15 hour days, burns out the good employees. communication is almost non-exsistant, between management and staff. the personel office never has any answers, it seems ncl policy is to leave the staff in the dark. As far as service goes that need a lot of work, there is no crew unity, to many problems. I worked on both the international and the POA, the international crew was much better, we had 65 countries represented with virtually no problems. I'm caring on. cheers
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
john livingston

where is your review
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Beginner

I just got off the July 4th sailing of the NCL Pride Of Aloha.

WORST CRUISING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE...
I have sailed many others and this was an AWFUL experience.

Here it goes...

SERVICE

-Poor service!!!
-Felt like we were in the crews way.
-found 1 friendly person - a bartender in Capt. Crooks Lounge.
-cruise director - Patti. she was terrible and never there for you.
-Food service was slow
-had to stand in line for 45 minutes to TRY to talk to a representative
-If you called them they would NOT answer the phone, they would pick up and put it on hold WITHOUT saying anything.
-Several times the just hung up!!
-When you DID get someone, they always said “you have to talk to this other person” Which they would NEVER call you back.
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines!!!

DRINKS

-Constantly out of domestic beer
-Forced to buy the more expensive imports.
-$8.00 Liquor drinks…5oz. cups…WHAT A JOKE!!!
-Bar at the pool shut down toooo early
-took FOREVER to get a drink
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines!!!

FOOD

-food was "terrible", yes "worse than terrible"
-NO variety in food
-Breakfast buffet. 2.99 Dennys grand slam is better than this.
-sit down breakfast in crossings and pallace...same as buffet, you just had to wait longer.
-Crossings and Pallace restaraunts you had to wait 45 minutes to get table for dinner. while you stood and looked at more than 25 tables that were empty.
-Once you got in you were there for 2-3 hours for LACK LUSTER FOOD!
-over cooked lobster, tough steaks, dry chicken, wilted lettuce,
-one night the crew dropped 5 trays full of dishes.
-You would have thought we were in a hurricane...We were NOT!!
-Inexperienced wait staff.
-Constantly out of Coffee, tea and Ice.
-when they did have ice...NO CUPS.
-when they made coffee...NO CUPS.
-when they had coffee and cups...NO CREAM
-the buffets were a disaster.
-greasy spoon food.
-on mexican night...of course they ran out so they put out old steaks and burgers from lunch.
-one morning...NO orange juice...they said "It's Frozen"...Nice planning NCL
-If you did not want to pay the $15.00 per percon surcharge for the other restaraunts, you had ONLY 2 choices, Crossings or Pallace.
-GET this...it was the SAME menu...EVERY NIGHT!!!
-Coffee bar...was NEVER open
-LINES, LINES, LINES…that is all we did was stand in lines for sub par food!!!
-Most people go on cruises for the FOOD, PRESENTATION and the Wonderful buffets. NO MIDNIGHT BUFFET!! POOR PRESENTATION!!! BAD FOOD!!!

ENTERTAINMENT

-Very rarely had a chance to get to a show after a 3-4 hour meal.
-The ones we went to…”6th grade play”…need I say more!!!

KIDS CORNER

-Very little activites.
-They had the WRONG people working with these kids.
-at least they could have put employees that actually liked kids with them.

CLEANLINESS OF THE SHIP

-day 1 first trip to room…bathroom had pubic hair in the shower.
-could not find stateroom attendant to get it cleaned.
-could not get in touch with the concierge
-day 2 breakfast on the 11th floor buffet…there was hamburgers, hotdogs (half eaten) old drinks and garbage all over the pool deck
-NO one even attempted to clean the deck.
-day 2 stateroom attendant did not clean the room.
-everyday…had to sift through plates in buffets to find a clean plate
-The boat in general was dirty, with no employee picking up after any of the passengers.
-tables would sit for hours with dirty dishes on them while others searched for a clean table
-guests started moving dirty dishes off tables to the floors just so they could eat.

EXCURSIONS

-OVERPRICED
-the excursions were less than ˝ the price off of the boat.
-they switched one of our excursions to a lesser valued excursion and did not inform us.
-they tried to charge us the higher price.
-took a day and a half to get the right person to fix the problem
-took getting REALLY pissed at them to even try to fix it.

RECAP:

The most fun we had on our Hawaii Vacation…WHEN WE GOT OFF THE BOAT AT EACH ISLAND

One of NCL’s biggest problems facing them…SEAFARERS UNION!!! The quality of peoples is already bad, now they have the Seafarers International Union working. http://www.seafarers.org/log/2004/072004/poa.xml

I would NOT recommend this cruise line to anyone.

Have had GREAT vacations with…

Royal Caribbean (first class operation)
Carnival (believe it or not they really do a great job, good food and a lot of fun)
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:56 AM
First Mate

The answer to this threads question: Where Is POA? - its simple - 'sinking fast. from the sounds of it...