Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:39 PM
lindsayuwmad

Default spirit to caribbean

I was curious to see what people thought of the spirit, the itinerary is not posted in the NCL brochure because it is so newly remodeled and i am interested to know what people think about it. I am booked on her for Jan.2nd 2005 and she travels to grand cayman and roatan from miami. any information about her or NCL as a whole i would be interested in peoples thoughts. I have taken two carnival cruises in the past and i was curious to know how people to compare the two or NCL vs. RCCL. thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:42 AM
Angela Wheeler

Default Re: spirit to caribbean

I am interested in opinions, also. I am considering the Spirit's 5 day cruise. I have sailed Carnival and RCl in the past, and would like to try another cruise line. How does NCL compare to RCL and CCL?

Thank you,

Angela
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Lennie

I am taking Spirit on the repositioning cruise from San Fran to Miami in early October so did a little checking about this new (new to NCL) ship.

There is a most informative and excellent review of the ship on www.cruisecritic.com and I would highly recommend you read...and based on that reviewers comments I'm really looking forward to being on that ship.

I've sailed NCL Wind and Celebrity Century in the past year and enjoyed both, although there were a lot of kids on the Century (it was early June, so was to be expected). Food on Celebrity was excellent, on NCL good to great.

cheers
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
cruiserkaren

I'll be on the 10/17 5 day sailing. Looking forward to our first experience on NCL. We've been on CCL and RCI. Our biggest complaint on those lines is eating at a specific time. We often miss dinner b/c we aren't hungry, are napping, or don't want to "dress" for dinner so we are really excited about freestyle.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Laura4cruise

I took a cruise on the Spirit to Alaska last month; I can't help you with comparisons to other cruise lines, but I can tell you that the Spirit is a wonderful ship; everything is in great condition. I found my inside cabin to be very comfortable, with a nice large shower in the bathroom. The public rooms are bright and cheerful with bold colors. The crew was friendly and efficient, and we had zero issues with our service. The buffet was fine for breakfast and afternoon snacks, but for lunch and dinner it was spotty. Otherwise, I enjoyed the food in the restaurants. I liked Freestyle Cruising; we only had to wait once for dinner in one of the main restaurants and that was 10-15 minutes for a table of six.

Having seen pictures of the ship when she was in the Star fleet, I don't think that very much was changed in her transformation from SuperStar Leo to Norwegian Spirit; certainly all of the decor is the same. (Our cabin had a print on the wall that said "SuperStar Leo" on it, for example.) She's due for a month-long drydock in fall 2005 after her second Alaska season, so any big changes won't be until after your cruise in January. I for one hope that she stays much the way she is now!
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Gatorguy

Default Re: Re: spirit to caribbean

We are taking the Vancouver to Alaska to San Francisco tour that ends up in San Fran on 10/1. Have been thinking about trying to hook up on the return trip to Miami since we live in Florida. How did you find that cruise? I have been looking at problems on the Spirit and it would appear that they are working on the glitches...recent info is much more positive. Lots of differences of opinion about freestyle, but it couldn't possibly be worse than home or eating lunch downstairs in our cafeteria. Have faith and hope!!!
Earl
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM
HeatherK

Yeeeeaaaa!!!! cruiserkaren it's so nice to see that mine is not the only family on the 10/17 Spirit sailing!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Lenie

I'm cruising with NCL Spirit too on Nov. 28, 2004. Likewise, I've taken 2 cruises in the past (both w/ Carnival CL) & they went well. I'll keep you posted about my experience with NCL Spirit soon as I had mine (you mentioned yours is in 2005). Take care.
Lenie
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:37 PM
LC

Hi;We just booked the Spirit on a 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise in Feb. It's nice we are sailing out of Miami and doing the southern route.We usually have to fly to PR for the southern route.I have to say I really enjoy my traditional dining every night with our same waiter. Oh well,it will be fun to go to all these islands we have never been before. Happy sailing. LC
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:05 PM
lynncobb

We just came back from Alaska on this ship. We loved the ship and the stateroom staff was outstanding!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
cruiserkaren

HeatherK, glad to put your mind at ease! Is there a large group of your family going?
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:28 PM
brian turner

we are on this ship this sat to alaska so if you want to email me around the 26th i will let you know this is my 14th cruise in 5 years brian
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
HeatherK

Hi cuiserkaren!
It's just the 4 of us - my parents and my sister. I am so hoping there are other teens on the ship. How about you...large family/group going?
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:00 AM
JanetDallas

I was on the NCL Spirit to Alaska on 7/24/2004. It is a beautiful ship. We enjoyed the ship a lot. The food was great, took a while at the dinning rooms but the buffet was great. Didn't have any kids with us but the kids is was huge. My husband and I enjoyed the ship a lot. If the muisc group The Love Bros and Lira are still there go and see them we really enjoyed their music. Just relax and have fun.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Admiral

We are booked on her for Jan 7th,,it's a 9 day to the southern caribbean,,,stopping at 5 islands,,,,,,I am sooooo looking forward to this cruise. Have always wanted to do the southern itinerary,,but DH just HATES to fly. So we can drive to Miami and enjoy it.
Have seen alot of positive reports on this ship,,,we are booked into a catagory BA balcony. I have sailed NCL several times and found nothing wrong with any of them,,,hey it's a cruise,,,RELAX and enjoy!!!

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Liner

I am also going on the Panama Canal trip on October 1. I've been doing so much research on this ship, there may be no surprises!! . I cruised on the Norwegian Star last summer in Hawaii. Loved the Freestyle Dining! I didn't bring any formals with me and was perfectly comfortable.

See some of you soon!

Carolyn in St. Louis.....
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Hi again,,
Here is a link to some photos of the Spirit

http://164.109.173.140/spirit_slides...220420_JPG.htm

I think you might have to cut/paste to get it to work.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:44 PM
jps

Thanks for the reviews..............My husband and I are booked for our first cruise on the Norwegian Spirit............trying a short (5 day) western caribbean Nov. 28....

I'm happy to see some nice reviews of the ship............. I know nothing of cruises, my parents enjoyed their NCL "wind" experience, and hence, I booked with NCL .
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Beginner

We are scheduled for the 3/4/05 nine day sailing of the Norwegian Spirit.

It's been a few years since we last took Norwegian and to be honest were rather hesitant about booking them again after the first experience on the Norwegian Majesty which in my estimation, should have been sent to Iraq ! That ship was old, dirty, and just plain ready for the great dockyards in the sky. My first comment on that ship was:

Attention K-Mart Shoppers !

I think I know something about cruising since we will have been on in excess of 30 cruises by March, and we've been on just about all the major lines (Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Norwegian)).

I'm hoping that the Spirit is unlike the Norwegian Majesty.

Anyone been both those ships for some kind of comparison?

Also, we enjoy a fixed time for dinner and on the Norwegian Majesty, we made a request for a fixed time, and they obliged our request. Can you do that as well on the Spirit or is Freestyle the only option?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Heather K

kruiserkaren..
Im worried about the storms... I live in Pensacola fl. and we got hit bad by ivan . Im just going to pray that they r all gone when we go .
heather k
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Jim S

Hi we are on the Spirit Dec 17 - 9 day Caribbean. We enjoyed our previous NCL experience on the Sky- Alaska. My wife and son also have been on the Wind - (Hawaii to Vancouver), Dream - Eastern Caribbean, and the Norway. From what I can tell it sounds like a great ship. One of my concerns is that the Spirit is supposed to stop in Grenada and with the recent Ivan devastation we are concerned what our visit will be like. I am a little worried about crime and possibly overagressive beggers. I hope the island does find a way to get itself back together since it was one of the key islands I wanted to visit and had not previously done so.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Don't worry about comparing NCL with other cruise lines. It stacks up well. I've sailed them 18 times so it's obvious I like NCL. You can still get a reserved time for dinner even with the open seating. We're booked on the Spirit for the Oct. 22 sailing. Looking forward to that. I've heard good things about the Spirit and the service which seems to be common on NCL.
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM
cruiserkaren

Hey Heather, I hope clean up from the hurricane is going well. I think we will be in the clear as far as the storms go. I'm more concerned about not knowing where we will be stopping now. We are pretty much on a mystery cruise, where we'll stop no one knows (apparently not even NCL!)!
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:03 AM
DerekB

I'm taking the Spirit on a 5 day cruise departing on October 31st. I have called and they claim the ship is still stopping in Grand Cayman, which apparently has been obliterated. I'm curious to hear from anyone who goes on the first cruises in the Caribbean and if NCL actually stops there. RCCL is not stopping there till further notice.
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Heather K

Hey cruiser karen..
well clean up down here is well its going but it will never be the same . i worried about were we will be going come to think of it . But we well all be in it together and im sure we will make the best of it ..
heather
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Gord

Our travel agent tells us Grenada is off our itinerary (Dec. 3 sailing out of Miami) We're stopping in Kingstown, St. Vincent after the stop in Barbados.
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
cruiser1999

My travel agent called NCL today (10/5) and was told that they do not know if they are stopping in Grand Cayman during either the 10/17 or 10/31 cruises. I just wish that there was some consistency in what NCL tells their passengers. I still want to know what the alternate port(s) is/are so that I can start researching excursions!!!
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM
cruiser1999

I decided to goto the source and email Captain Marvin's (stingray/snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman) about accepting reservations for 11/2/04 and the status of the reef. Here is their response:

Thanks for writing! We have been told by the local governing authorities that cruise ships will be allowed back here starting Oct. 29th. We are ready to do business right now, and the Stingray City sandbar is in good shape--even got bigger from the storm!

For reservations, please complete the form at www.captainmarvins.com, and I will confirm by return email. I look forward to hearing from you again!
Ruth for Capt. Marvin's
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Joanne Stanley

Default Re: Re: Re: spirit to caribbean

Dear Heather:
I gather from your email that you are traveling with your family on the 10.17 Spirit cruise. I, also, am traveling with my 3 children who have never cruised before. I have one daughter, almost 17, and two boys. How old are you? It sounds like you might have cruised before. Can i give them your name and email to write to so they will have someone to meet when they get there? This is the first time they've ever cruised and they are not sure about it. Let me know. Thanks a lot. Joanne
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
MichelleC

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: spirit to caribbean

Hi Joanne. I'm Michelle, Heather's mom. I was just checking the boards to see if we had any news on possible itinerary changes (in other words...where are we going?) :o).
I'm sure Heather wouldn't mind at all if your children emailed her. She is almost 14 by the way and will be so happy other teens are going to be on the ship. This is actually her first cruise, though, so she may not be very helpful as far as that goes. She has been online checking anything and everything she can about the ship, cruising, etc., so she may know more than I am giving her credit for. I have another daughter, Charleigh, who is 11 (but thinks she is a teenager) and she will be sailing with us, too. Looking so very forward to it! I'm sure it will be a blast for us all!

5 days and counting!!
Michelle