Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 11:57 PM
klw

Default just got off the NCL Sun - Alaska

Just got back today (July 4). Exceeded my expectations. First time cruiser. Food was better than expected given the negative comments I had read. Cabins were clean and had more than enough storage space. If you can do a balcony room, go for it. Even if you can't - the views from all of the decks are breathtaking in Alaska. Try the Speciality restaurants even though there is a small cover charge - worth it. Skip the buffet for dinner. Entertainment was ok. Great kids program - kept my 6 yr old and 10 yr old niece very busy. Wrangell was the best port - still unaffected by the cruise industry since the Sun and a couple of other smaller ships are the only ones that dock there. Wrangell residents were warm and welcoming. Skagway was disappointing as it's just a bunch of tourist stores - way too many jewelry and t-shirt shops. Opt for shore excursions there - especially the White Pass Yukon train ride. Well worth it. Juneau is great too. Don't miss Mendenhall Glacier.
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: just got off the NCL Sun - Alaska

Glad you enjoyed the cruise: yes the Sun is a great ship! As for Skagway, we did a tour independent of the ship. We found a small company that had a van and offered us a great deal. He took us up to the Yukon, far above the train, gave us a wonderful background history story about SKagway and stopped many times. I think it took about 2 hours or maybe a bit longer. Because of this we liked Skagway better than any other Alaskan port. I agree with the tourist shops, we found the same in Juneo (spelling)

NMNita