Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Tom L

Default Norwegian Dream Engine Problem

Norwegian Dream does in fact have a technical problem with one of their engines.
The cruise that left on July 12 from Dover England did in fact eliminate the stop at Tallinin Estonia. Will arrive at St. Petersberg one day later, and spend a couple extra hours in Copenhagen. As far as I can determine through my TA, the August 17th departure has a scheduled stop in Estonia, so one must assume at this time that the problem will be corrected for this cruise. I tried to get info from Norwegian Cruise Line direct, but had no luck. They just put me on hold and I waited for 45 minutes to connect and never got connected. I then pretended to be a travel agent and went through another number and got a gentlemen that said he knew of no engine problem and that he could not answer any of my questions, because he only dealt with the travel agents and not individual customers. What a deal huh? Anyway, the ship sounds like a great vessel, but their customer service needs some attention. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my cruise, even though the Tallin Estonia stop may be eliminated. Can't understand why NCL will not deal with individual customer questions. I have nothing against them, just want up-to-date information for planning purposes. If there is an engine problem, let the customers no, don't try to hide it.
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Norwegian Dream Engine Problem

In my personal experience, and after following the NCL boards here, and at another site, lack of honesty seems to be NCL's number one problem.

They seem to mislead/misinform (lie to?) their customers on a regular basis. Now, rumor has it that a lot of the staffing problems they are having with their new Pride of Aloha in Hawaii ,have been added to because of them misleading the crew about the details of their employment and pay.

I too spent a lot of time on hold when trying to reach a real live person in Guest relations and ,whenever I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told they were 'in a meeting', 'out to lunch', or 'gone for the day'.
I have reached the point where ,if NCL told me that the sun would rise tomorrow, I wouldn't believe them.
They even seen to be unwilling to tell the truth in areas where it seems the truth would do just as well as a lie.

How do you deal with a company that conducts itself in this way?
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Tom, it isn't just NCL, as a retired TA and as other TAs can tell you when you book through a travel agent that reservation technically belongs to the Travel company and the cruise lines normally will only deal with the TA. I know it's sounds really stupid and I never understood it, but that's the way it is. This is not to minemize NCLs engine problems, but it does explain why you can get no answers. Hope this helps a bit. Have a great cruise. NMNita
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Romy

Hi Gang, I've posted this "over there" and will do so here as well. I'm told by my TA that the 8/5 sailing will be stopping in Tallinn. I have absolutely no idea if this will prove to be the case or not.

I have to agree that calling NCL directly is a complete waste of time. That's IF they choose to talk to me or not. In some cases they refused because I was not the TA, and others they did. I guess it depends on who you get. Either way I've gotten several differing responses about the engine problems.

I am truly hoping that the experience onboard will be way over and above the satisfaction I've received (or not received) by their so called Customer Service reps!

Happy Sailing!!
Romy
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Zeno, that's sure right. Just read some of them. The same thing over and over, but plenty are negatives.

NMNita
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Dream Engine Problem

"Maybe you could direct them over here and they could hear all sides of the story, as well as the very recent reviews of the POA that SaintL is looking for? You seem to be very helpful, it would be nice if we could help out our fellow cruisers instead of just sticking up for a corporation that won't give them the time of day."

How odd that you want Gardencat to send posters from "youknowwhere" to this board to read "recent" POA reviews here - when there are a lot more on that board. If you feel those are too positive - why not just suggest to sliimjimtell that he might want to post his review on the "other board" - I am of course assuming there is no reason why "he'" cannot do that. Personally I thought the reviews on the "other board" were "warts and all".

Post Edited (07-14-04 16:03)
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:14 AM
First Mate

Is it my imagination or is someone personally attacking me? I do resent this, also resent being told I have lost all credibility! I have no idea if you are slimjim, but do know 4 other names you have used in the past. If this is something you enjoy that's ok, but let's try to keep these boards free from attacking each other. Most of us accept that we agree to disagree on some subjects; that's one thing that keeps these boards entertaining and information, but when one person starts accusing another of loosing it or as you accused me on another board of tattling (which, by the way I would never do) it is time to call a truce. Can't you respect Jim's wishes and discuss our cruise views and not our personality views? I could be wrong, but I doubt Gardencat would do a favor like you asked her to do. She has her feelings about NCL but also seems to be very fair and reasonable. I did not take Zeno's last remarks as claiming all POA negatives were writen by you, but many were and some have been pulled on the other board for good reason.

NMNita

Post Edited (07-15-04 12:07)
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Romy

I agree. Can we please stop this nonsense and get back to the original question?

Does anyone have any concrete information about the ENGINE PROBLEMS?

Thank you!
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Romy

Okay you guys, AM I GOING TO HAVE TO STOP THIS CAR? DON'T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Romy

Are we there yet????
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Selwyn

Hi Tom,
We will be on the same cruise as yourself 17/8/04. Hopefully we will meet up with you at Dover. We are going to need some party friends for both on board and on shore. Drop us an e-mail.

Regards,
Selwyn and Audrey
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:24 PM
sfagent

We were on the Dream within the last month and the comments we received from the staff were that the Dream's engines would not be repaired during any of the Baltic Cruises. The problem is extensive enough that it woudl require several days out of commission and would thus compromise one of the scheduled sailings which they apparently do not wish to do. The only chance we heard was during a scheduled dry dock or during a 12 day period which could be carved out of the current schedule