Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Default Norwegian Dream

Returned last week from the 11 day Alaska cruise on the Dream.

Norwegian Dream has a few problems, one being that, depending on where your stateroom is, you have to trawl back and forth through the main dining room and constantly having to queue for meals no matter which eatery you visited is very off-putting. There were times when we had to wait up to half hour. The only time we didn't have to wait was two or three mornings when they had a breakfast buffet.

The meals started off well enough but for some reason seemed to deteriorate throughout the cruise and the breakfasts particularly arrived cold. I do appreciate the staff had a long walk from the kitchen to dining room.

The staff were wonderful and it is such a pity they are not supported by the shore staff. We had numberous problems with the booking the first being even though we booked in March, there were no direct flights and so we had to change at Chicago. They made such a mess with our flight bookings I had to sort things out myself by telephone and the internet. The outward bound flight with American Airlines was a nightmare. We were given two pathetic meals(?) about six hours apart and in the intervening period were not even offered a drink and, in fact, only saw one crew member who dashed through, presumably hoping nobody stopped him with a request. The flight homeward with the same airline was just the opposite - difficult to understand.

There were two changes to the itinerary, the most disappointing being the return to Seattle by sea instead of the inside passage again and the biggest problem of all they changed our cabin without any notification! They did upgrade, which we accepted but we had so many problems I listed them all in writing prior to leaving, in the hope it would be something of an insurance policy if they messed anything else up and pleased to say they responded immediately promising a bottle of champagne in our cabin on embarkation - it was there and very nice too but hardly compensated for the stress suffered.

The very best part of the cruise, however, was the sunshine and heat every time we docked. It made for some stunning photos. The only thing was we had prepared for wet, drizzly, foggy weather and had few summer clothes with us but we managed.

All in all the cruise was very enjoyable.

If anyone would like my opinion on anything else regarding the trip please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Offwego

Default Re: Norwegian Dream

I am wondering about the dinner wait. So far I have read 7 reviews of the Dream, al taken in the last month. One other (and yours) state these long waits while the other 5 all say they never waited more than 5 minutes. I am thinking it might have to do with the time you dinned and am hoping to miss the busiest times. Did you dine at the same time every night and what time would that be?

We will be a party of 4, dinning together some of the time and then as a party of 2 on others. Was there any time you noticed more empty tables?

Which restaurant was your favorite?

I would be thrilled with an upgrade! Do you know why you got it? what were the problems you had?

Thanks for answering.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
nmmita

Default Re: Norwegian Dream

First of all to Jean, thank you for a fair and unbiased review. it is possible to have negative experiences and still be fair and objective: thanks: Too bad about the weather, that was the worst part of our Alaskan cruise. Offwego: I have not cruised the Dream, but have experienced freestyle on 4 occassions and we have never waited more than a few minutes. Last cruise there were 6 of us and I will be honest, we had the use of the conceirge (spelling) thus we never waited. Other cruises there have been just 2 of us and we have been flexible as to whether we wanted to eat alone or with others. We have eaten as early as 5:45 and as late at 8pm. The busiest time will be from about 6:45 til about 7:30. Like some of our restaurants on land, you will probably have some wait at that time. I am sure Jean will elaborate more. NMnita