Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Default Fruit Can We?

Taking POA (well maybe - haven't decided for sure YET) but wonder if anyone knows, since the ports are all US, am I able to take fruit with me (pineapple in particular - luv the stuff and I understand not much onboard)? Considering snacks (nuts, etc) too. along with juice as well? (Well we need something decent to eat & drink...don't we?) Thanks in advance & happy cruisin'! :-)
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Fruit Can We?

cruisecrazy, I am not certain about this but I think the problem is with bringing it back into US waters, not taking it aboard. Many years ago prior to boarding a ship in Miami I stayed at a particular hotel that greeted me with a basket full of fruit. I was a VIP guest at the hotel and this was standard. Enough of that, anyway I took basket on board and there was no problem. I could not, however take any remaining fruit back to US territory. You won't be leaving the US thus I can't imagine any problems. In fact everytime we have visited Hawaii we have brought back at least one case of Pineapple and one of papaya.

NMNita
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:50 PM
First Mate

You may have problems bringing fruit or vegetables into Hawaii. Hawaii has VERY strict regulations about the importation of plant matter of any kind. Check with Department of agriculture. However you could buy pineapple in Hawaii.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:59 PM
First Mate

Zeno, that is probably about right. I would imagine crazy is going to spend a day or so in Hawaii before boarding the ship; most do. She can just find a local market and buy what she wants then. Of course she is judging the lack of things like pinapple based on one review. If you love pineapple guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Now the problem:how do you cut the pineapple in your room? NMNita
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Fruit Can We?

Hi All - Appreciate the answers... Thought I might pick up some fresh pineapples just before the cruise but wondered whether I wld be allowed to take them onboard - as pointed out - the ship never leaves US waters or touches a foreign port so no problem.... Ahhh..how to cut the pineapples? - I could get 'cute' and say 'with my teeth' (and that will happen) but - I shall have them cut up before we leave for the ship (packed in a baggie & then store it in our fridge). Failing that I can ask to have them cut by the kitchen staff on the ship - a tip works wonders...or always has in the past anyway. Plan on sharing them also with the staff...Nice touch on HAL - they always leave a small knife, cloth napkin and plate beside the fruit basket..Again thanks & happy cruisin'!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Passenger

A girl we were talking to had to eat her papaya on the pier in one of the ports before boarding because they wouldn't let her bring it on the POA. I did board with bottled water.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Fruit Can We?

Thanks for posting this Lorrie - Now I know NCL is in trouble when u can't even bring your own fruit onboard - what next - charge for it too? Sorry just venting 'cause this is 'silly' - all US ports with US food inspection regulations and u can't bring fruit onboard? Never had a hotel refuse me entry with fruit, juice, candy etc. What about juice in those little containers - I know u can't usually get pineapple juice onboard? Sorry if this is considered 'nitpicking' but seems to me that is what NCL is doing!