Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Russell76

Default Project flop

who wants to bet with me POA, or Project Americia will fold with in 1 year ??

i am opening for any better out there ?

Russell
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Project flop

Probably not, but no one knows for certain. I have watched too many endevers struggle the first year or so to know that what appears to be a miss could be a huge hit and visa versa. As bad as it seems and as much as I would not want to cruise POA the reports each week, if you read all the boards are improving. Great nope, but better. Just my humble opinion. NMNita
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Project flop

I think it will still depend on how NCL reacts to things as they develope.

If they can learn a lesson from all the problems they have had with POAloha, and rethink their plans to launch the next two American flag ships, so they can concentrate on staffing and improving the PO Aloha, I think they still have a chance to pull it off but I do think we are in for another few rough months for those booked on Aloha.

If they refuse to face up to all the problems, and they go ahead launching the next two ships as scheduled, then I think they run a serious risk of putting the whole of NCLA down the tubes. I just don't see how they can recruit, train and hold onto enough staff to bring all three ships up to standard in the present time frame.

I'm just going to stand by and watch ,with interest ,to see how this developes. I wonder how much NCL is willing to bet that "people will just get used to it."
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Mike Fast

The reviews are starting to sound better, and I believe that in about six months, it will be a good cruise. My son opened a new restaurant right after the first of the year, and they had problems with the staff for a while. It is doing fine now, and I would imagine that the Pride of Aloha will turn out the same way.
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:21 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Project flop

Mike Fast

That is an interesting comparison. I'm happy that he has things running smoothly now.

May I ask if the staffing issues at his restaurant caused any problems for his customers and, if so whether he tried to make it up to those customers some how ,or if he just figured that they would have to get used to it?
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Mike Fast

As far as I know, he tried to make it up to his customers. He runs a pretty tight ship. Just for an example, one waitress stopped a customer to ask why they didn't leave a tip, whether if was the food or the service or what the problem was. She was fired on the spot. He said "You just don't do that to a customer".
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Beginner

I am booked on 3/05 cruise and feel confident this will turn around. 2000 people a week are experiencing this cruise. The input to the company if the problems persist for every one of them must be tremendous. I have read the half dozen or so negative reviews on various boards and agree that these problems exist. I also believe that every effort will be made to curtail the problems and give everyone an enjoyable experience. There is too much at stake financially and word of mouth is a powerful thing. If you check the bookings for future cruises of POA, they are filling up. The 3/13/05 cruise has sold out all outside cabins. This is since the reviews started showing up. 8000 people this month, and only six negative reviews. I'll stay booked. arjay
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Passenger

I don't think the ship is getting better just that people are lowering their expectations. Also 50% of american households do not have computer access so we have no idea what the other several thousand travelers without internet access feel. I don't think things are getting better. From what I've read on other boards staff had a scheduled "sick out"- not good.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Sorry, the internet cable provider came just as I was typing. Even the posters that had a good time still said there were housekeeping problems as well as the 90 minute waits to get a table and another 2 hours to be served dinner. Personally I plan on spending more time onboard since I have been to Hawaii before and these problems are troubling to me. I am more interrested in the ship than many probably. When the positive reviews outweigh the negative I'll be happy!
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
First Mate

"I am booked on 3/05 cruise and feel confident this will turn around......I'll stay booked. arjay"

arjayman,
I admire your courage and optimism.

"As far as I know, he tried to make it up to his customers. He runs a pretty tight ship."

Mike Fast
Do you think your son could give NCL some pointers? : )
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM
First Mate

I would have to think pointers may be helpful, but running a restaurant and running a ship are a bit different I would think. Of course I have never ran either just think my kitchen is a restaurant from time to time.
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Mike Fast

The reason I mentioned the restaurant is that most of the complaints have to do with the food service, so I think it is relative.