Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Chevron

Default Majesty

We are planning to cruise Majesty out of Charleston in April, stopping in Georgetown, Cozumel, and Key West. Have been reading the forum and have some questions. With the freestyle dining, do you still have buffets and stuff like other cruise ships? Are there lots of "free" options? I never heard of this before. Also I saw tons of posts about bring on liquor, are you allowed to bring sodas on board? Anybody that has taken this cruise, what did you do on the port calls?

We cruises only once and it was about 13 years ago, so would appreciate any help.....thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Majesty

Hi

I will be taking my second cruise on the Majesty in July, Boston to Bermuda.

With freestyle dining, there are no assigned dinner times. You can go to the main dinning rooms whenever you choose to, between the hours of 5:30 til closing. You may sit with anyone, have the choice of sharing a large table, or a table for two. The Majesty also has the Garden Cafe' (buffet).

Most NCL ships have alternative restaurants,such as Le Bistro, which require reservations and cover-charges. The buffet and main restaurants do not.

Ncl does not allow you to bring your own liquor. It will be confiscated and returned to you on the last day of the cruise.

I was in Cozumel, but not with Norwegian. We took a party boat to a lovely beach, then spent the rest of our time shopping.

Hope that this was helpful. The Majesty is a nice ship.

Barb
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

We love freestyle cruising with NCL.. If you like snorkeling then Cozumel's beach Dzul-Ha is great. Snorkeling is excellent at Grand Cayman also.

Old June 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Chevron

Thanks, that is a big help. In some posts people talked about bringing their own sodas on board, doesn't the ship provide free sodas, etc? I read something about a coke card, can anyone help me out here? So with this freestyle thing, you don't havae to have a formal night, but just have to dress fairly nice each night for dinner, right? How dressy do people get just for every night dining? Thanks again!
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Majesty

Resort casual is fine....no t-shirts shorts etc. Dress up or dress down...IF you want to wear chorts and a t there is always the buffet ,,Soda's..or Tonic as we call in in Boston are not free Soda cards are sold ..Im not sure of the cost...$25 ? 27.50 ? This allows you to drink as much soda as you like for the week. Coffee, tea, iced tea are free.

I love NCL and cant wait for our second cruise to Bermuda.. This cruise we only pack one bag each and still overpack.

Ed

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Chevron

Thanks for the info. How can you just have one bag, when you have to pack casual wear, shorts, tees, swimsuits, and also khakis or whatever pants for dinner, and nicer shirts, polos etc. And formal wear if you choose to do that. It seems like for a 7 day cruise you would need a lot. Maybe you could give me a sample packing list? I know I'm asking for a lot, but I have been reading your posts and everybody seems almost like family...we are new to this so we appreciate any advice anyone will give us!

I saw on one post that the person always takes duct tape and something else...can't remember what right now, but I would love to have all these insider tips that you cruisers have......please share!

Also are juices part of the soda card or do you get them free like tea and coffee? We aren't on a budget but our friends are and so I want to be able to tell them what they might expect to have to pay. If some of you guys could tell me how much your charges came to that would help us!

Please help, Thanks!!!
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can access several packing list tips by going to search and typing in cruise packing list in the browser. It is so easy to pack for a free-style cruise.We have been on 3 and my husband never takes his suit, just Docker-style pants and nice shirts. Last time I never wore a pair of heels,just dressy flat sandals.
My big tip- mark your luggage in a very distinquishing manner. Ours has a braid of yarn made up of bright purple and bright orange yarn. When you go to find your luggage on the day of disembarking and there are 2000 pieces of luggage to look at you will be glad your luggage has its very own look.
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM
First Mate

Resort casual ,,,3 pairs of pants...3 polo type shirts...thats 9 outfits if you mix and match. I use quick dry hiking shorts that double as bathing shorts..3 you can walk around town with them then hop in the pool and they are dry for the afternoon..a few t-shirts( the polo wore at dinner the night before can be used as a pool shirt the next day )one pair of slip on shoes,,,2 pairs of sandals ( one for dress one for pool) one shaving kit. We dont' do formal night on this cruise but even on the cruises that we do do formal night I rent the tux on line and its in my cabin when we arive so no packing.

The best advice i ever got and wished i had followed on my first cruise...please listen...get everything you think your going to need laid out on the bed....PUT HALF OF IT BACK....then pack ! That was a tough lesson to learn but it works....

One more thing...relax and enjoy the cruise...

Ed

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Chevron

Okay, sounds like good advice, I'll take it! Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

DH and I pack one large suitcase each + one carryone each. It's plenty for a 7-day cruise. On every NCL cruise I've taken, along about mid-way into the cruise, they offer a laundry special of all you can pack in a laundry bag for $20. Considering that they even iron it for you, this is a very good deal indeed. And if you don't mind wearing the same things twice, you really don't have to pack a lot on a Freestyle cruise.

This last time, I purchased a soda card for $40.25 for the week. I won't do it again. You get the stuff from the fountain, not the cans, and it doesn't include bottled water. Unless you drink an awful lot of soda, I don't think it's a good deal. Coffee, juice, milk, iced tea, lemonade, tea and regular water are free. If you're on a budget, you should be fine.

We leave the tux and dressy dresses at home with Freestyle. Resort casual (Dockers and polos for men/slacks and tops, sun dresses and outfits for women) are always appropriate on NCL. On our resent trip from Boston to Bermuda, there were very few people dressed in what you'd properly call "formal attire" on formal night. Only one restaurant was set aside for those who opted to go formal on the designated night. Everyone else wore either suis, sport jackets or the more casual resort attire I just described.
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Chevron

Thanks, that helps, expecially the packing part but I still am missing something. If you don't buy the soda card then you just buy sodas as you go? Are they that expensive? So the soda card just covers fountain sodas right? I know I probably sound stupid, and I think maybe in this case I am.

Why does everyone have a DH? I don't know what that means although I can come up with lots of ideas.....

I had to go through my old photo albums to remember what year we cruised before-

Monarch of the Seas - December 1994
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM
Chevron

Oh yeah, so do they care if you bring your own sodas on board? Thanks!
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Majesty

DH STANDS FOR "Dear Husband",,,,,DW Dear Wife..SO significant other ...IMHO in my humble opinion ,,,etc

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:06 PM
Chevron

Aha!