Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Pride of Aloha - questions

I'm planning the excursions for my October 17 cruise. After hearing all the reviews I've decided to rent my own van. Can anyone tell me what would be the best time to exit the ship each day in order to bypass long lines and confusion? I also have golfers in my group. Can anyone suggest some public golf courses??
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Pride of Aloha - questions

Mellen, we went on the POA on it's second week. We would usually wait about 30 to 60 minutes after the initial disembarkation began before we got off. No lines, we just walked right off. We rented a car in every port and just went out on our own. Be sure to check the prices. They do vary a lot, but you can find them much cheaper than you can if you reserve a car for on the ship. I don't know about the golf, but I am sure that you can go into any store and get some information. I don't know how far tee times are booked ahead though, so you may want to do some research on the internet and call for your own tee times before you get to Hawaii. Most any excursion that you would want to take you can find after you get off the ship for a lot less money. This is much better when you are in ports for 2 days. Gives you time to shop around. Every port that we were in where we rented a car, there was parking close to the docks so we could keep it overnight and start out early the second day. I hope you enjoy your cruise, but be prepared for a second rate cruise. The islands and Hawaii were beautiful, and I enjoyed them very much, but the situation on the ship was very bad. Bad food, bad service, and long lines to wait for it. Just be patient and look at the ship as just your floating hotel and don"t let those things ruin your trip to the islands. I have been on 5 cruises, so I am not a complete novice, I know what a good ship is supposed to be like, and this was not it. Best part is that you are in a port everyday, so you're not on the ship nearly as much.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:27 AM
mahalo

mellen:
We never had a problem getting off the ship..(maybee it was because everyone wanted to get off that ship as fast as they could, lol). The problems were getting back on, the lines were sometimes over an hour long. I suggest not waiting to the last hour before attempting to return on board. Renting a car is a must, especially on maui. Do your reserch online, many locals told us there are no set prices for car rentals on the islands so companies charge whatever they can get away with depending on the tourist season.
Good luck, Im sure that with all the warnings that have been posted you will know which pitfalls to avoid and have a wonderfull time on the islands!
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Mellen:??? We are going on that same cruise the 17th of October to Hawaii on the POA. I sure am getting cold feet after all the problems I am reading about. Do you think they will be resolved by our cruise. Are you doing any excursions????? thanks from MN>