Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Ingarid

Default delayed flight, and a few NCL ??s

Hi, I am going on the NCL Sea on Saturday the 28th, and it may be storming here where I am flying out of. If my plane were to be delayed so much that I would miss my ship, what happens? Also if it is just delayed a short time, will the NCL people still be waiting for us at the Airport for our transfer??
ALSO, does NCL have beachtowels for port use for all of the guests like Carnival?
thanx
I have msn messenger if anyone wants to talk about cruising, my email is Ingarid@hotmail.com if anyone also knows anything about NCL, we are a bit nervous, its our 2nd cruise, and our first was on Carnival so we are nervous about a different line..........one more question--------------I've heard different things from everyone but can I wear Jeans and a nice tshirt into the dining rooms? I've heard yes from some people and no from others. I really have nothing but jeans and shorts, I dont own any khakis or dress/skirts so I'm nervous about that.........
thanx!
-Ingrid
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: delayed flight, and a few NCL ??s

The rule is No jeans in the dining rooms at dinner. This was strictly enforced when I was on the Majesty, but I do believe I spotted a pair or two at dinner on the Sea. To be safe, go out and buy a pair of khakis, or some other non-denim pant, it won't break the bank and you will be fine. T-shirts could be a problem as well, so pick up an inexpensive knit shirt with a collar to be safe.

As far as the flight goes, did you buy it thru the cruise air program, or on your own? If you bought it through cruise air, they will wait a reasonable amount of time for delayed flights, and if you miss the ship, they will help get you to it at the first port. (at least that is my understanding - I've never done it this way) If you bought it seperately, then they are not required to wait for you, and you are responsible to catch up to the ship. Keep in mind though, that if you are delayed due to weather, especially weather at the cruise port, most likely others that bought from the cruise line will also be delayed.

S/S Norway - 12/99
Norwegian Majesty - 11/02
Norwegian Sea - 12/02
Norwegian Star - 10/04
Norwegian Star - 04/05
Norwegian Jewel - 10/06
Norwegian Pearl - 6/07
Crown Princess - 10/08
Norwegian Spirit - 4/09
Star Clipper - 09/09
Celebrity Mercury - 10/09
Pride of America - 6/10
Celebrity Eclipse - 11/10
Norwegian Dawn - 2/11
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Ingarid

I did buy it through NCL......On my last cruise, with carnival, I wore jeans in the dining room and it was never a problem, but I've heard in some posts that they are quite strict, it must vary from ship to ship
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
SurfAngel

Ingarid
The policy is resort casual after 6pm. Hope this helps!
Surf Angel
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Ingarid

Default Re: Re: delayed flight, and a few NCL ??s

What is "resort casual"....sorry, I'm a dork
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Dennis B

Resort casual is no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms after 5PM - didn't appear to be a problem in the buffet on the Sun - but then the weather was hot so i ate outside most nights.

You can check out a beach towel when you disembark at the various ports - they will charge it to your shipboard account and then credit it back when you return the towel.

Hopes this helps

Dennis
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
newmexicoNita

I am amazed that you were able to wear jeans in the dining room even on Carnival. They must have been in a close your eyes mood. I would suggest you buy a couple of cute tops (not T shirt or tube tops) and a pair of Khakis at least. The Sea is a little more relaxed but still no shorts, jeans, t shirts or tube tops after 6pm. Don't you have a pair or two of capris? Yes, you can wear shorts or whatever to the buffet, but that isn't much fun every night. The beach towels are availabale to be taken a shore and the plane, if booked through NCL will wait for you. In fact they normally wait period for a certain length of time. Where are you coming from by the way?

NMNita
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:50 PM
Passenger

if you can afford a cruise you can afford khakis
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Ingarid

its not that i cant afford khakis, I didnt mean it like that. I just personally dont like them, and I'd rather not buy something that I'd never wear again after the cruise if I can avoid it.
I'm comin from Nebraska.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:15 AM
C2

I just bought a pair of decent khakis at Sears summer clearance sale for the grand total of $2.49 (originally $25). Yeah!!! One more item for my cruise wardrobe. Check the end-of-summer sales Ingrid. At $2.49, if you don't like khakis, you can donate them or toss them when the cruise is over.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Right now is a great time of year to buy cruise clothing. It's summer clearance sale time and it's when I buy all of my cruise wear for next years cruise. It's always tough to find summer clothes in January, so I've learned to think ahead.

Buy a few items that would be your "official" cruise wear and store them for your next cruise.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:48 AM
newmexicoNita

Agreed, I was at a shop on Saturday; not intending on buying anything but was registering people to vote as a matter of fact. I spotted a few things at the sidewalk sale and ended up spending a total of $35.00 and getting a cover up, 2 pair shorts, a skort, jean capris and a top. Everything was 70% off the already marked down price. Even living in Nebraska I would think there were times when you would wear something other than jeans?

NMNIta
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:58 AM
trish1c

Ingarid --

Jeans are generally not allowed. Can you get a pair of black slacks -- kind of a go with anything you'll always have a pair of dress pants in an emergency type of thing? I suspect that once you've taken the plunge & purchased a pair, you'll be glad they are in your closet. You'll be able to wear them to Church or any other dressy occassion that comes up.

Hopefully you won't have any weather delays. Also, hopefully you left yourself enough time to get to the port.

NCL is pretty laid back about most things. Except for the no jeans part, it's a pretty casual line, altough people do dress up for formal night. The biggest difference from Carnival is the lack of organized activities by the pool. NCL is more peaceful. There's no CD jumping around on deck trying to get everyone to play a game. There will be scheduled activities but you have to go to them; it's not crammed down the throats of those of us who don't like that sort of thing. The on-board entertainment also tends to be superior to most other cruise lines.

Beach towels are available & plentiful. If you lose it, however, you will be charged.

Enjoy.
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
esd

I've decided that about anything goes in the dining room...on any cruiseline. On formal night on the RCCL's Rhapsody of the Seas a young man at the next table had on a rag-like T, jeans that were all frayed at the bottom and flip-flops. I couldn't tell you what anyone else on the whole cruise wore at any time but he was in my line of vision during dinner, with his feet tucked under his chair and his flip-flops dangling. I guess then you could say he definately made a fashion statement!

But to your question, I agree that I would but a pair of dressier pants and have a couple of nice tops/shirts to go along and you will be just fine.
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Ingarid

Hi Ingarid,
I'm sure you have enough advice by now but I'll just add my 2 cents worth. We have been on 8 cruises now and have the idea that age tends to be the ruling factor as far as dress codes go. We have seen jeans and shorts in the dining room on every cruise, yes shorts. On one of the formal nights the family at our table arrived with the wife wearing shorts and a casual top. The 2 teenage girls wore cute dresses and the father wore a suit. On Carnival's ship one formal night 2 young men in their 20s were turned away because they had on knit shirts with their khakis. They were told to at least put on a button-down shirt and tie. (we were right behind them in line at the door so we know this firsthand) We see many senior citizens who wear shorts and button-down tops in the dining room and I am happy to see they are not turned away but at what age do you discriminate--50, 60, 70 ??? On our first cruise the theme for the day and into the night was "Carribbean" and everyone was in bright Carribbean colors all day. We assumed the theme would be carried on into the night and my husband wore a bright colored "Carribbean" shirt and shorts into the dining room. Fortunately , we were saved embarrasment as he was stopped at the door and told shorts were not allowed in the dining room, the food for the night would be Carribbean but the dress code was not!!. He went back to the room and put on his "resort casual" and we entered the dining room where we saw no less than a dozen people with shorts on!! As I said before, we have never been on a ship where we did not see more than a few shorts and jeans in the dining room and almost always on people 40 years or older (our age group). Do they turn away the younger ones or do the younger ones just obey the dress code? I don't know the answer but you may find it interesting to look around while your in the dining room on your cruise. Hope this 2 cents worth wasn't 1 cent worth!!
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:07 AM
newmexicoNita

I would not try wearing shorts or jeans as has been stated before. 15 cruises and never, I mean never, have I seen shorts in the dining room after 6pm except on the 1st night. That's a little different. Some of the lines will allow them because many guests may not have their luggage yet.

NMNIta
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Ingarid

thanx for your responses, and how did that one person post with my name??
I leave on saturday and I went out and bought a pair of courduroy pants, hopefully that will work....thanx
-Ingrid
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
tigersshadow

Sorry Ingarid, that was me who posted with your name. I had your name on my mind when I replied and I guess I entered it by mistake. I didn't realize it until it was sent.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:42 AM
JennCandi

I've been using the no jeans at dinner excuse for a ton of shopping. My fiancee is ready to take my credit cards away. I'm cruising in November, but buying everything now while the summer clothes are on clearance. Any excuse to shop!

Jenn
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Debbie D

I've been on the SEA twice. Both times were NOT good experiences. Hopefully your experience will be better.

They do have towels that you check out when leaving for excursions. If I were you, I would try to grab a towell from the pool area the night before to take with you. After we stood in line forever to get a towel for our excursion, they ran out of towels. They did go get more but we waited for 10 minutes and they never arrived. It was a fiasco.

As for the dining room, we were told not jeans, no shorts. Capri, crop, full length pants are OK. "Resort wear casual" is the standard. Of course, you can always dress up. One night my nephew did wear a short outfit and nobody said anything. I think it's probably acceptabe for children. On the first cruise a woman showed up in shorts and was asked to change. You can always eat in "The Big Apple" if you want to wear jeans. No dress code there. But, the food isn't as good there.

Good luck on your cruise. I hope you have lots of fun and few problems!
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
newmexicoNita

Debbie, other than things like being inconvenienced cause you had to wait for your towels, what was your bad experiences on the Sea? Those of us who are planning on cruising would like to know what we need to be prepared for? I cruised her many years ago and had a wonderful time, but again it was about 7 years ago.

NMnita