Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM
tigersshadow

Default guaranteed room???

Hi,
Does anyone know how the guaranteed room policy works? We are sailing on the 18th of Sept on the Spirit and have a guaranteed "BF" room with a balcony on deck 9. I'm told that this means we will be assigned no less than a room on deck 9 with a balcony but could also be bumped up to a room on a higher floor, a bigger room or even a suite. This will be our 9th cruise but we never booked a Guaranteed room before. I'm just wondering if anyone has had their guaranteed room upped to a better room or even a suite upon arriving at the terminal. I was originally going to change our sailing date to one where I could pick the room we wanted but decided to book the guaranteed class when booking the trip on the phone with NCL's booking agent with her assurance that I would definetly not get a room below a "BF" class as this was the week we really wanted. We are hoping for good luck and getting a really nice room that we couldn't otherwise have booked. If we meet anyone who boards after us who gets a better room we will really be disappointed as she explained we would get the best room available when we board the ship. Can't wait!! Even if we get a regular "BF" room on deck 9 we'll be happy. We have never been to Alaska and have not been on this ship yet but were on the NCL SS Norway twice and loved her. We went on the Sept-Oct cruise in 2002 and just knew she was the ship our 20 year old daughter was looking for, she loves the old ones (calls the newer ones floating malls, she's only seen 6 others) but didn't go with us in Sept. So we came home and booked it again for 7 months later with our 20 year old daughter and our 30 year old son decided to go also. It was his first time on a cruise. They loved it and we were talking about booking again, unfortunately, we were woken out of our sleep that May morning by the sounds of the explosion that took so many of the crew's lives. We will never forget the "SS Norway" and her devoted crew. We left the ship in shock at such a great loss of life, most so far away from home without any family nearby. We will always remember our last days on this great ship with mixed feelings of good times and sad endings. We could not understand the messages that NCL received after this. They could not have treated the passengers any better at a time like this. They provided us with transportation to a hotel, meals, and a ride to the airport all at no cost as long as we departed as soon as the busses arrived to take us (the police were there and took over the area and demanded everyone leave the area, they used BULLHORNS, you could not miss the message) but still there were those who complained nothing was being done and they were left stranded at the docks to fend for themselves. Not true, only those who refused the NCL staff and police orders to get on the busses immediately were left to find taxis themselves. NCL even put people up overnight if you were not from the USA in the chance the luggage was released the next day. They did everything they could all the while dealing with the deaths of the crew they had been living in close quarters with just like family!! Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away but my point is our experience with NCL has always been over the top. Let's hope it stays at least 1/2 that in these harder times. I am a little leary of the messages posted here, as I said we've only been on 1 other NCL ship and it sounds like she might have been the best. Well we sail in a few weeks I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'll post my message when we return and hope it's a little more cheerfull than most.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: guaranteed room???

Hi Tiger,
Just remember when booking a guarantee, to always book the catagory you will be happy with, in most cases, thats what you'll end up with. The problems with booking a guarantee catagory cabin is there is no sure way that you will get upgraded, and rather than booking an inside and hoping for a balcony, you'd just be disappointed, so book what you will be happy with and if an upgrade happens, thats a plus.

Here is a link to a great article that explains the guarantee booking process:

Booking a Guarantee cabin catagory

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I have been on about 35 cruises.. We always try to book a guarantee catagory cabin.. Most of the time they are cheaper and you'll always get the catagory that you book.. Many times,(not always) you get an up grade.. It gives the cruise line some wiggle room when and if they make a mistake with another room booking.. If that happens they reward you with a up grade, but they won't tell you why, they just do it and you don't care, you're just happy..and they are off the hook.. Have a nice trip OM
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM
SEA of dreams

If you have your NCL reservation number you can go to the NCL advanced guest registration on line site and enter the reservation number and see if you have been assigned a cabin yet. In my experience they normally start assigning cabins about 3 weeks out, so it may be listed. Once it is assigned there is still a slight chance of getting upgraded further, but only a slight chance. I've always been upgraded at least a few levels when booking guarantees, but with the amount of time spent in the cabin I would be happy at the lowest level.
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
tigersshadow

Thanks for all the replies. We had booked a guaranteed room in at least a balcony stateroom so we will be happy with whatever we get. Yes, I also agree Sea of Dreams, any cabin is fine. I have a cabin # and I'll check to see if it gets upgraded and let you know.