Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Feed Back Requested: Norwegian Spirit Alaska

I'd like some feedback from those of you who have sailed on the Norwegian Spirit in Alaska.

How are the balcony cabins? Adequate storage? Balcony size large enough for comfortable seating for two?

Inside Cabins? Adequate storage? Bathroom size tolerable?

Restaurants: Regular restaurants: Same menus all week? How many additional charge restaurants?

What other impressions and opinions do you have of the ship?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to chipandjohn
Default Re: Feed Back Requested: Norwegian Spirit Alaska

Hello Mike M
sorry just had to say HELLO. Still hoping to cruise with you and Betty in the furture.
We're booked Oct 22 on NCL Dream and booking Celebrity Zenith for B/B 11/19 to 11/28. When can we cruise again, I have a lot of smart wear ready.
john

HAC Oosterdam 04/14/07,Celebrity Century 04/00, Horizon 11/01,Millennium 12/01 Infinity 10/04, Zenith 12/05,Princess Caribbean 09/02, Sun 11/03, Island 09/06 RCCL Mariner 05/06 Carnival Victory 03/03
Carnival Freedom
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hey John,
I hope your healing well, and you are ready to take on the Dream. Three cruises in such a short period of time? You will be seriously spoiled. But with what you've been through, you deserve it.

BTW: I fixed you clocks and put a couple of CM clocks in and got rid of the Escati clock.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

Hi, I just was on the Sprit May 28-June 4. Our balcony cabin was great for 2 females. It may be tight for more than 2, and large people might find it harder to get comfortable. The balcony was large enough for both of us to sit comfortably.

The closet was large enough to hang clothes and store large suitcases, and there were also drawers to store smaller items.

The bed was comfortable enough, and the cabin has its own thermostat control.

The bathroom was quite adequate, but might be a tight fit for larger than normal size people.

The Raffles buffet frankly sucked. The other restaurants were good, although we didn't go to the 3 pay-extra ones. The menus changed daily. The room service food was ok, but don't expect anything gourmet. It was nice to have a light breakfast delivered, as well as a late night snack.

We really enjoyed the entertainers. A couple of the acts are a little cheesy, but it was fun and the performers have a great time.

All in all, it was a great experience. This was my first cruise, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Let me know if you would like more info.
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you very much Jasmine:

I'm trying to find a compromise solution for my in-laws on a last minute out of Seattle. I really do appreciate a first time perspective. Thanks for letting me know that the dining room menus do change on a daily basis and that the food was good.

I wonder how well the Spirit has fit in since being transferred from Star and if the cabins are of a reasonable size.

Was there an onboard naturalist or commentator, making commentary while you were cruising Sawyer Glacier or other parts of the Inside Passage?

Thanks,
Mike

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Mike,

There wasn't a naturalist speaking about the glacier or other areas, only the captain. To hear him from the cabin, you would have to have the cabin door open. It might be a good idea to do some research ahead of time about the sights you will see, or just buy a video of the inside passage cruise from one of the stores in one of the ports.

The cabin decor is a little bright, but once you take off the boldly striped bedspread and pull back the curtains, it isn't so gaudy. There is a nice white duvet that is warm enough. We were able to sleep with the balcony door open and stayed warm enough.

I have read other commentaries and comparisons of the Spirit with other ships, and many have commented that the bathrooms are nicer on the Spirit. The faucets and hardware were top-quality, and storage was good for toiletries. I do think that since obesity is an epidemic, these cruise lines will feel pressured to build or retro-fit ships with larger cabin bathrooms. I found it a little tight getting in and out of the toilet area, and I only weigh 115 lbs.

I think the NCL website has cabin dimensions on it. I would definitely recommend a balcony cabin on the 11th deck towards the rear of the ship. This was high enough to see, and far back enough to get some good pictures and video.

Unless your in-laws are extremely picky or have cruised on high-end ships, they should be comfortable and happy with this ship. There are quiet areas, such as a library and mah jong room if they want to get away from the loud bingo games and such, while still being able to see the view outside.
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jasmine,
Thank you very much for you feedback. It will help with my decision.

Take care,
Mike

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Don Clark

I had a ninth floor balcony cabin last year on the Spirit. Their is plenty of closet space and a few drawers for smaller items, however, my cabin had only 10 clothes hangars. You might want to pack some. While the cabin may be smaller than others, there is plenty of room to have a small couch, cocktail table and chairs, besides the desk. There are two plastic chairs and a small table for the balcony, but the area is just enough for two to sit comfortably...no laying out... I'm oversized, and I just fit into the bathroom. If I can fit, most everyone else can to, unless they're really obese. Of course, I wasn't expecting anything huge, but I did enjoy the glass door to the shower instead of a curtain. The restaurants served something different everyday. The two main restaurants meals were good, the buffet upstairs was just okay. Notice I didn't say great.... The beds are hard, ask for the egg foam mattresses to soften them. While I enjoyed a very firm bed, my spouse thought otherwise. There are a Chinese restaurant, an Italian restaurant in half of the buffet at dinner, a French style restaurant, and a steak restaurant that costs extra. There are the two main restaurants, the buffet upstairs, and a hamburger/sandwich restaurant that don't cost more, plus they run a grill upstairs in the buffet area that I enjoyed quite a bit. I'm a hamburger, hot dog, and chicken man.

You can tell this ship was designed with decor for an Asian expericence. Simply put, its one of a kind....well, it has a sister ship plying the waters off Singapore.... Don't bring a hair dryer, use the one supplied as it will probably use too much power. There are only two 110 V AC outlets in the room, one for a razor in the bath, and another by the desk which I found handy to recharge my batteries. The coffeemaker, lamps, and tvs onboard this ship uses a 220 V outlets.

If your happy with 4 star service, instead of 5 star service, you'll enjoy your cruise.... Read about the Norwegian Spirit at NCL's web site....
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:48 AM
ceil

I just took this cruise last week. Beware of the toilet! It is in such a tight space! We had 3 in our room and it was crowded. The balcony for 2 was perfect, make sure you get a starboard side room (right). Had some problems that the ship corrected. The crew servicing the room seemed a little green. GREAT water pressure in the shower, and liked we could control the heat/ac ourselves. Closet was okay. put your bags in then hand the clothes. The drawers were tiny. Don't know what that other woman considers "Normal Size" people to be! The food at Windows and the Garden room are really good!
Ceil
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks everyone,
I appreciate the information.

Take care,
Mike