Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:49 AM
AlohaInsider

Default FDA 100

Despite what Another Crwmember says, POA did know about this inspection. Two weeks in advance. We were even told what time. (7:30 to 9:30 AM) Barry Clarke, who is Corporate's Clean Freak, came onboard and did mock inspections. Good thing, too.
Yes, FDA can surprise us whenever they want, however, this was a quarterly check. The inspections last up to three days, so they can say this level of cleanliness is a constant.

I'll say this. I found out I'd be leaving just before the inspection. In fact, I was signing off while the first round was occurring. When they announced the inspection in our department meeting, I haad to stifle my laughter, because I was glad I wouldn't be aboard. I was truly worried the Aloha wouldn't sail. So glad I'm wrong, and proud of my fellow crew for pulling together a 100%. I know they had some extra late nights scrubbing and polishing.
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:12 AM
pata

Default Re: Surprising good news for POA

Thanks Alohainsider for sharing your experiences regarding FDA inspections. Just wondering why you were worried that POA would not sail?

Thanks,

Pat
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM
First Mate

So now we get conflicting reports.

Cruise News Daily says the inspection was unannounced.

Alohainsider says the crew knew two weeks in advance.

Who do you believe?

Considering that I was on the ship in August and saw the condition of it then ... you can guess where I stand.

I would also like to know when the July inspection took place. The more information you have the easier it is to determine what happened.

I know people are going to get on me for asking these questions. But I've always found that information is the key to getting at the truth.
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM
dbarr

Does anyone really think that with all of the short staffing problems, the POA would actually have time to prepare for inspectors? If they can't prepare enough food or have people to bus tables or do regular cleaning, does anyone think they could spit polish an entire ship even with 2 weeks notice? BTW, NCL is currently offering 100% refunds for anyone currently booked up to Sept 26th. Past that, they are only offering 50%. This tells me that they expect to have their service standards up to par by then.
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM
First Mate

"NCL is currently offering 100% refunds for anyone currently booked up to Sept 26th. Past that, they are only offering 50%. This tells me that they expect to have their service standards up to par by then."

I agree that that may seem to indicate that they expect (hope) to have their service standards up to par by then. Of course if you believed a lot of their earlier statements it seems that they believed that they would have their standards up to par by July 4th, and around the end of July, when the complaints and really bad reviews were coming in thick and fast, customer service were still telling callers that they'knew of no problems on the ship.'
Lets all hope that they are up to standard by then, but I wouldn't bet on it just based on anything NCL is saying or the way they are setting their refund policy. i'll believe that they are close to standard when we start seeing a significant number of goo reviews and comments.
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:49 PM
First Mate

I can see NCL, knowing how important the inspections were, pulling people off servicing customers to prepare for this. I really could.
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:26 AM
AlohaInsider

When we've had previous inspections, nobody was pulled early. Eaveryone just stayed late into the morning until we were up to snuff. BTW, in the dining rooms, cleaning only consisted of a few things we don't normally do...extra scrubbing of side stations, dusting the tops of the columns, plastic wrap over polished silver.

As far as why I was worried, the previous weeks trial inspections yielded interesting results, nothing serious, but hey, enough minor violations can add up...