Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Parrot Mom

Default Surprising good news for POA

Just read this on Cruise News Daily...
Monday, August 30
* From the white glove department: The FDA (the Federal Food and Drug Administration) reports that NCL America's Pride of Aloha received a perfect score on its August sanitation inspection last Friday. The FDA performs a similar function for US-registered vessels as the CDC does for internationally-registered vessels calling at US ports. The FDA inspectors come aboard unannounced to examine the ship's galleys, restaurants, storerooms, provisioning areas, staterooms, public rooms and overall cleanliness.*On the previous inspection in July, they scored 97.5%.

This by the way is a follow up on a posting that said NCL had our of five inspections received high grades on two of their ships...
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Surprising good news for POA

I'm happy to see that. Maybe this means things are getting better. But it doesn't surprise me that this was in Cruise News Daily ... they've posted nothing but good things about POA since it started. There hasn't been a single word about any of the negative stuff out there, which makes me questions its credibility, which is why I cancelled after years of subscribing. I like balance in my publications.
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM
Admiral

No matter who posted the report, the report stands on it's own merits and you cannot deny that. Quite frankly I am surprised that any ship manages anything over a 90% score as strict as they are and how badly they get slammed for the most minor of infractions.
Jim

Old September 1st, 2004, 12:43 PM
John Tee

When we sailed the Repo POA cruise. I thought the ship was clean. Our rooms were clean. I saw people cleaning.

The one problem I did see is that there really was a lack of people to clean tables in the Buffet area.

We bussed our own tables a few times to help out the crew.

I keep reading about people who did not get clean sheets and had problems with toilets and smells and such but our room was great! Our Stewards were fantastic and friendly.

If NCL would just limit the passenger load until the staffing problems are ironed out ... I think they would get shinning reviews.
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
newmexicoNita

I always am amazed at how hight NCL ships are rated when it comes to cleanliness. It's rare to see one receieve a score under 95%.

NMNIta
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Surprising good news for POA

Yes it amazes me too - what with all the dead wildlife (seems to be some confusion about the "type" of wildlife) apparently to be found everywhere. I guess those inspectors are just plain blind or in the pay of NCL.
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:57 PM
First Mate

This is great news but I think the inspection was probably scheduled. Does anyone know?
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
pata

No, cnmiranda, I do not know anything...but I do remember reading one of the crew memebers posts that said they were forewarned about FDA inspections. FDA does not follow them to sea, so the inspections, I assume, are done at port. ...I cannot imagine anyone sneaking up on a cruise ship!
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:18 PM
First Mate

This is interesting too because I remember their being some discussion ( it may have been on another board I'm not sure) about who was responsible for doing these inspections. As I remember an ex-crew member said it was FDA but someone else claimed it was still CDC. I guess the ex-crew member was correct about this.

At least this should put some peoples' minds at rest about major sanitation problems. I'm sure that if they knew inspectors were coming they could clean up minor problems, but it wouldn't be so easy to clean up major violations, would it?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM
X-CRUISER

yeah, keep in mind-
ithe ship has a general idea when the inspection will be held, and therefore can ensure the ship is clean and all food is properly handled and stored. So really, those inspections don't mean too much..........i was working on a ship infested with GI..and it still scored over a 95%!!!!
mind you- the amount of sanitizing, and preparing for that inspection took us FOREVER. And yes, they are always done in port- a U.S port.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
newmexicoNita

XCruiser, if these inspections don't mean too much and the ships crew is pretty much prepared for the inspection how come so many ships, including some of the top lines get scores of say, 90% or even in th 80s quite often. Normally the list is published twice a year.

NMNita
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Another crwmember

The FDA operates a bit differently than their colleagues at USPH.
By the way, CDC is now the umbrella organization for FDA and USPH.
The FDA inspects Domestic trains, buses, airplanes - and now cruise ships.
The USPH inspects Foreign carriers; Cruise Ships and Airplanes.

Both groups inspect in US Ports only - except when a foreign ship is being built for service in US Ports. Then the USPH people visit the shipyard to do pre-inspections during the construction.

USPH inspects twice annually. The inspections are unannounced. Since a foreign flag ship can only be inspected in a US Port - and foreign flag ships stop in as few US Ports as possible - the Ship Management has a pretty good idea when the inspections are coming. They usually have special cleaning details every night before arriving in a US Port. USPH Inspections are very expensive for the Cruise Line. If and when health violations are found, the Inspectors list them, give the ship a score, and leave. The cruise line company has no obligations - other then PR - to fix or clean any violations found by USPH. Only if the USPH Inspectors find what they believe to be overwhelming danger to human life, can they talk to the US Coast Guard about stopping the ship or forcing it to leave US Waters. This has never happened.

FDA inspects ships every quarter. The Inspections are unannounced. Pride of Aloha is in a US Port all day every day, so an inspection can come at any time of any day. USPH and FDA Inspection specifications are virtually identical - and very strict. Not a single restaurant in America could pass their inspections.
FDA Inspections are free of charge. Your tax dollars at work.
The FDA Inspectors have much more authority than their USPH Colleagues. They can stop a US Flag ship from sailing - even for the most minor violation. This hasn`t happened recently as there were no American Flag ships to stop. But it did happen occasionally in the past.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
pata

Thanks for that very thorough explanation, Another Crwmember. That is very interesting to know there is no obligation for foreign flagged ships to adhere to the USPH's score other than public relations. Of course the scores are public knowledge so it would be to their benefit to have the highest scores possible.

Thanks again,
Pat
Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Maxxi

However, did they check the serving temperature of the food?

On my PoA cruise, I found hot food already cold before the restaurant opened.
Food sitting in buffets, without heat.
Their head chef and managers were not concerned when I brought this to their attention and were even rude and argumentative.
Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson and lost two full days from food poisoning. Since I only dinned on the ship, the only way for me to have become ill was from their lousy food. Ack!

Skip NCL, there are more reputable cruise lines with real attention to customer service.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
Maxxi

However, did they check the serving temperature of the food?

On my PoA cruise, I found hot food already cold before the restaurant opened.
Food sitting in buffets, without heat.
Their head chef and managers were not concerned when I brought this to their attention and were even rude and argumentative.
Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson and lost two full days from food poisoning. Since I only dinned on the ship, the only way for me to have become ill was from their lousy food. Ack!

Skip NCL, there are more reputable cruise lines with real attention to customer service.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
newmexicoNita

Maxxi, I am not going to dispute whether or not you got food poisining from the ship but I do assume you visited the ship doctor. Food poisinging, like viruses need to be reported to the authorities to prevent others from becoming ill as well. Have you posted this information anywhere else? I am sure others would want to know of your experience. Many would rather read the details than to just see a blanket statement: Skip NCL!

NMnita
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
pata

I have only had food poisoning one time and I had no idea what was wrong with me. That is probably the sickest I have ever been in my life. Had heard other people talk about it but had no idea that that was what was wrong with me. I just thought I had a terrible virus until I talked with my girlfriend about two days later. We had had lunch together the day I became sick. She related that she had become sick at almost the same time and had the exact same symtoms. So, we figured out that we had food poisoning. Just trying to point out that sometimes you just don't know what you have until afterward. Unless you have had food poisoning, you cannot imagin how very sick one can be. Yes, even too sick to go to a doctor.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
newmexicoNita

I have had food posioning. I was hospitalized for 3 days while in college. I am glad I went to the doctors. Unless you can pin down several other people that got sick at exactly the same time it is very hard to know the difference between food posioning and the various flues that hit all too often, especially ships and hotels. About 6 months ago a group traveling from Hawaii to Vegas got sick on what was believed to be food posioning or a virus picked up at the hotel they were staying in. Eventually it was determined it was probably a virus picked up on the plane rather than the hotel. That's why it is so important to let a doctor know or certainly see one as soon as you get home. NMNita
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
First Mate

I'm not denying this report is true, but I haven't been able to find this on the Cruise News daily front page since this post began. And I haven't seen it anywhere else either. Has anyone else seen this on Cruise News Daily. As I said before, I do not subscribe to it anymore.
Old September 4th, 2004, 06:11 PM
First Mate

from the honolulu advertiser
the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Aug31/bz/bz05a.html

"NCL America's Pride of Aloha received 100 percent compliance Friday from the Food & Drug Administration, which inspected the ship's galleys, restaurants, storerooms and other public areas for overall cleanliness.

Friday's ratings showed improvement to the FDA inspection in July, which earned the ship a 97 percent compliance."

It truly disappoints me that people are so anxious to hear only bad reports about POA that they would disbelieve a positive quote someone got from a reliable publication but will believe any statement (no matter how absurd) from strangers on the internet.
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
pata

I would imagine those who booked the POA based on the printed advertisements and PR sourrounding it would be a bit skeptical of this report.
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Parrot Mom

Today I received my October 2004 Cruise Travel and to you naysayers...page 57 has an article "A PERFECT 10"...NCL Sun and NCL Dawn both posted top scores of 100...
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I do know that one week ago a woman came into these boards and swore her mother and 11 other people got food poisoning from the ship, she was just waiting for the hospital to confirm the diagnosis as food poisoning. She posted on 5 different threads with the same story. She said as soon as she heard from the hospital that it came from POA she would be back here to confirm how bad things were there.

She never came back as far as I can see (I did a search)

Another man said the same thing - 5 people in his group got ill as soon as they got home. He was also waiting for the hospital to confirm it. He never confirmed it either. (I did a search on his story as well)

I can tell you, very few ships get 100% on a CDC inspection. 80s to low 90s are common, excellent ships usually get high 90s, but 100 is very rare. Things cannot be that bad there.

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Parrot Mom

Cruise Travel...."Never before have so many ships posted top scores.. In fact of the 172 ships inspected, only a half a dozen failed to achieve a "satisfactory" score of 86 or above(and three of those were in the 80's.). So, in your opinion NCL could't reach this degree of 100%? We are usually not "buffet" people and for the first time that I had noticed on the Majesty on the buffet this trip were POSTED the temperatures of the food and the time it was posted...not only that I observed a Chef checking out and changing times and temperatures once or twice during our cruise.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Pata: a report from the FDA is hardly comparable to an advertisement.
Old September 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM
First Mate

"It truly disappoints me that people are so anxious to hear only bad reports about POA that they would disbelieve a positive quote someone got from a reliable publication but will believe any statement (no matter how absurd) from strangers on the internet."

Zeno, I don't recall saying this report wasn't true. In fact, I was the first to respond to this thread ("I'm happy to see that. Maybe this means things are getting better."). All I asked was if anyone else saw this report on Cruise News Daily or somewhere else since I didn't see it. Tell me where I said it wasn't true. In fact my first line says "I'm not denying this report is true..." To this day, if you go to www.cruisenewsdaily.com, where they post a few graphs for every story (I subscribed to CND for 5 years), you will not find this story. It was a legitimate question. Now that I have an answer I can move on. I never said it wasn't true.

And any opinion I have of POA is based on bits and pieces of what people say, my own observations while on the over-priced, second-rate ship AND common sense. If I believed everything that everyone on this board had to say about POA and NCL then that would make me an idiot. I don't and I'm not. I think most others here also do the same thing. But I believe anyone who won't believe ANYTHING posted here may be delusional.
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Dalwhitt: I apologize - obviously I misinterpreted your comment about not being able to find an article about POA's 100% score as an indication that you were sceptical about the veracity of the reference to the 100% score.
BTW. I DO believe some of what is posted here but I would be a fool to believe it all.
For example I believe that you have honestly reported your experiences on POA.
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM
pata

Author: zeno
Date: 09-05-04 11:41

Pata: a report from the FDA is hardly comparable to an advertisement.

zeno,
As I have said before...everything is relative. I happen to think that a lot of our government reports are very comparable to advertisements......manufactured especially for their own benefit.
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:44 PM
newmexicoNita

Why is it there will always be someone who will try to tear down anything that is positive? Maybe all govn reports are not 100% accurate but to receive such a clean bill for FDA isn't the easiest task to accomplish.

NMNita
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
pata

Nita, I call it being realistic. What I wonder is why everything is classified postive or negative? My apologies if you do not appreciate my perspective on government reports. That's all it really was....my opinion. Now, you have agreed that some reports are not 100 percent. Does that mean you concur with my opinion? And it seems you consider my opinion on the negative...so what is postive about your own statement? Now if you really wanted to be positive, you could have come back and said that you believed in the reports 100 percent, the tooth fairy or whatever you choose. You can choose what you believe and I can choose what I do.