Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Skyedogrocks

Default Everybody is too busy bashing the POA to help out others wit

I am sick of reading the bashing, everybody is too busy bashing NCL. I just had a few questions about the Majesty ship and nobody bothered to help.

I suppose if I was bashing it, everybody would join in! Be happy that you can actually afford to TAKE a vacation and stop bashing and complaining. There are many people in this world who would love to even be able to take a vaction like this, who would love to be in your shoes.

Ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:10 AM
pata

Default Re: Everybody is too busy bashing the POA to help out others

You might want to check the thread called "Aahhhh Majesty" below by davzabigpatsfan.........great thread to answer your questions. Two or three have just returned and have offered to answer any questions.

Hope this helps!

Pat
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:12 AM
shoreguy

I have stopped even visiting this sight on a regular basis. No new useful information unless you want to know what is wrong with POA/NCL. The flavor can suck the joy out of cruise planning. Other boards had to take drastic measures to stop some of the same posters from distroying the free exhcange of positve useful cruise information.

Cruising is supposed to be fun. I enjoy going online to plan my next cruise and to share helpful information from my recent cruises. Sorry I can't help you with the Majesty as it is one of the few NCL ships I have not cruised on.

There are still boards with a kinder environment. It seems that cruisemates is comfortable with an open forum for posters to vent. That is fine. Everyone needs a board that works for them. Like Freestyle we have choices. I choose to share much more often on other online cruise boards.

Bye
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:20 AM
First Mate

Skyedogrocks
I'm sorry I couldn't help but I don't know anything about that particular ship . I might be able to answer some questions about NCL in general but can't give specific Majesty info because I don't have it.
You might also try using the search feature to look for Majesty info. That may help you avoid POA related discussions.

Shoreguy
You write:

"There are still boards with a kinder environment. It seems that cruisemates is comfortable with an open forum for posters to vent. That is fine. Everyone needs a board that works for them."

You are right. It seems that even some of those quite closely connected with the other 'kinder' board seem to find the need to come over here and vent sometimes and when they do they are not very kind.

Post Edited (09-08-04 09:22)
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM
McNamara-Troy

Default Re: Re: Everybody is too busy bashing the POA to help out ot

To follow up on what Pata wrote, you can also use the search function to best answer some of your questions (i.e. other Majesty reviews, Bermuda excursions, pros and cons of freestyle cruising) and then post any questions for which you can't otherwise find an answer. I think sometimes people are reluctant to tackle the task of addressing a post with multiple questions if they don't know the answer to most of them and others may not want to respond for the 10th time about their opinions on some subjects that have been discussed in depth already and can't really be answere very quickly, like the dis/advantages of freestyle cruising.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
shoreguy

Gardencat writes:

"You are right. It seems that even some of those quite closely connected with the other 'kinder' board seem to find the need to come over here and vent sometimes and when they do they are not very kind"

Thats true. There is a place for everything on the internet. If you like it here stay here. If like Skyedogrocks you find it ridiculous there are other places to share cruise information.

There is no right or wrong answer just choices.
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Shoreguy writes:

"Thats true. There is a place for everything on the internet. If you like it here stay here. If like Skyedogrocks you find it ridiculous there are other places to share cruise information.

There is no right or wrong answer just choices."

Amen to that shoreguy. I'm just wondering what you are doing reading and posting on a board that doesn't seem to have an 'ignore' feature. Aren't you afraid you might come across an opinion that differs from your own?
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
pata

Hi, shoreguy! What a surprise! Glad to see you are using the same name. Some of us do not have the option of posting on either board, as I am sure you are well aware.
This is a very nice board with a very interesting moderator who shares a lot of your opinions, but manages to get along with everyone. When he speaks he speaks without venom or malice toward anyone....just states what he thinks and has a sense of humor to boot. What more could you ask for?

Nice to see you out and about!

...now gardencat...be nice to the visitors, this is obviously another set up to annoy POA cruisers.

Oh, and by the way, didn't Paul say "bashers" and "apologists" are words no longer allowed on this board? Soooooo...looks like the OP just broke the rules. How much would you like to bet the op is from the other "kinder" board too? Seems like he is one of those who just popped in to complain without even reading the threads available for his questions. hmmmmmmmm and look who jumped to help?
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Pata - question for you - why wouldn't people have the option of posting on another board ?
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
pata

Default Re: Re: Re: Everybody is too busy bashing the POA to help ou

zeno - question for you - why do you think a person would not have the option of posting on another board? Now what could that answer be? Perhaps you should talk to shoreguy about the "drastic measures" taken. He seems to know a lot about it. If, for some reason, you are being sincere, I apologize for being cocky about your question. However, you strike me as a bright enough person to figure that out by yourself.
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Everybody is too busy bashing the POA to hel

Pata: Seriously - other than being banned for something fairly serious I cannot think of a reason why someone could not post on another board. I know of only one person who was banned (mentioning no names of course). Are there other people who were banned ? I thought you were referring to some technical or other reason for a person's not being able to post on another board.
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Zeno, not me, but yes there were. Didn't you notice how some posters just stopped showing up? I think if you press on a few names of what were regular posters over there you will see they are no longer registered. 2 people I considered honest and reliable asked to be removed from the registry. I see this has gotten off topic of ridiculing people that like to talk about the Pride of Aloha. Anyone can always email at cnmiranda@yahoo.com. I do not mean any harm by this so if anyone wants to talk about it they can contact me off the board. I also want to mention I don't have a problem with "the other place" but I do feel bad some left permanently. Also of course, I'm sorry it happened. Hopefully travelers will come to realize that this website is also a great !!!!! resource=) Best place for unbiased reporting.

Post Edited (09-08-04 19:40)
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:00 PM
newmexicoNita

It is fun to see Shoreguy visiting here. I like to see and contribute to all the boards, and enjoy seeing people from all boards here. Zeno does have a point, i only know for certain of one person who was banned from any other board. I think we all know who that person is. If others have chosen to no longer post that is there business, but I don't think this discussion about other boards belongs here.I do like the liberal attitudes of our monitors here. They allow us to speak pretty freely: I also agree with Skydogrocks, too many here lose their objectively and yes, the worst cruise would be a wonderful experience to many throughout the world. We should be thankful we can have vacations like cruising. This doesn't mean no one should complain about problems they encountered or does it mean we shouldn't be made aware of what to expect if we choose certain ships or lines, but to continue to post only the negatives serves no purpose. Just my opinion for what it may be worth.

NMnita
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:13 PM
First Mate

If anyone wants to know my opinion of the subject of this thread, check out the Answers to Questions thread.

Oh by the way I'm one. I'm a banned cat.
Apparently one of my posts was removedfrom another board because the moderator of the 'kinder board' thought it didn't sound sincere. At least that is what she told me.

When I pointed out to her via e-mail, a few other posts that, according to those 'unwritten guidelines' should also be deleted I suddenly found my access had been denied.
So here I am ,a refugee at a board which some apparently feel is less kind but I feel is a little more fair and open .

Post Edited (09-09-04 05:32)
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM
First Mate

Just curious NMNita, not trying to start a disagreement in any way, but what happens when all the reviews just happen to be bad for a particular hotel, car rental company, cruise ship? Does that mean a traveler is only allowed to post a negative experience once and then move on? I mean, if one person has a bad time then they will also speak for several thousands of others and that's it until the end of time? How are consumers supposed to learn about a product? I am almost positive the above poster would have gotten a response to his question if he placed the subject in the header. It feels like the same things keep going around and around. People don't want to hear others talk about subjects they don't like and they become downright nasty in trying to stop them from posting their opinions. Just some food for thought. Happy travels =)

fixing typos

Post Edited (09-08-04 20:56)
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
RalphWiggum

Voyager will dock at Kings Wharf, which is the only port in Bermuda that can accomodate the ship. The QE2 has docked there in the past and I believe a Carnival ship made a few runs from NYC last year. Medium-sized ships must carefully navigate a narrow channel to dock in St. George and Hamilton.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:19 PM
RalphWiggum

Oops, meant to post the above under another thread. I'm sorry - I'm new. Another refugee from the kinder board.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Ralph
Thanks though, I'm happy to have that info. So does that mean that Voyager would go to just King's Wharf and you would have to get around everywher in Bermuda from there?

By the way, welcome! NIce to see more peopls showing up here.

Old September 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
pata

zeno--you can now make that two people that you know who have been banned. I did not lower myself to report to the adminstrator as I was asked to do because I know that I did not break any rules. My IP address was banned so I am assuming I was not "sincere" enough in my postings. What a hoot!
I happen to admire gardencat's tenacity and intelligence and her ability to respond to some of the most vicious attacks with grace and good manners. I have never in my life seen a group of people so anxious to stop people reporting their NCL experiences. In my opinion, she was probably instumental in getting some of the passengers part of their money back, just by hanging in there long enough to catch someone's attention at NCL. People are not stupid, they realize that NCL advertises on these boards and that a lot of TA's post here. I have no idea who else has been banned....I am assuming anyone who does not take the time to ........having a hard time coming up with this word.......oh yes...brown nose the moderator.
I do believe it was a first when NCL posted on that board.....and they sure didn't come there to say thank you for all your wonderful reports, now did they? I have always hated the way people band togerther, much like animals in a wolf pack, to pick on someone who does not share their ideas This is way off the subject, so if you have any more questions, feel free to email me at any time. Oh, and I will still sail NCL and use their wonderful credit card as much as possible. Gardencat didn't taint me!
Pat
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
First Mate

Hi Skydog,

About the Majesty------------------Basketballmom"s review appears on the opening page of the current cruisemates.

I also posted about the ship on the "It's scary what you read here, " thread.

Barb
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

If I had been on the Majesty, I would have replied.
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Catnip

Now the real truth comes out..........hee-hee-hee!!!
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Welcome catnip,
I see this is your first post on this board. Is there any cruise information anyone could help you with?

Post Edited (09-09-04 20:12)
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM
pata

Actually zeno, I do believe this is a practice that has been used on this board, aslo....by some from the "other" board. No wait...that was a "sister", right? With the proper firewall anyone can go to the other board and read anytime they want to. Of course, you cannot post, but what they hey, I enjoy reading more than posting anyway.
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OK folks we don't care where you came from or why. We welcome everyone who enjoys cruising. All that we ask is that people observe our terms of service and act in a reasonable manner. What happens or happened on another board is no concern to us and the vast majority of readers and those issues can be addressed in private.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Catnip

gardencat,
I am just "browsing"! I have been on lots of cruises, but it's been quite a while since I sailed on NCL. My very first cruise back in 1981 was on NCL! Then I was on The Norway in '85-'86 (can't remember which year it was). A couple I know has been on NCL several times and always had a good time. The only thing I don't think I would like is the dining--do you have to do "freestyle" dining, or do they offer traditional seatings also? I much prefer the traditional main seating.
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:48 AM
First Mate

Catnip

That is a bit of a tough question to answer. The easy answer I guess would be to say yes, you have to do the freestyle.
The reason I say it is difficult to answer though is that at times NCL has said that, for those who prefer the same time, table and waitstaff each day, they can have this by going to the maitre'd to arrange it at the beginning of their cruise. In that case you would, in effect, have a standing reservation for each evening. However, actual practice seems to indicate that you can't really depend on that since sometimes ( the POA being an obvious case in point) the staff on board will refuse to take reservations of this type. Now the POA is a different situation from other NCL ships but I think I remember some reports from passengers on other NCL ships that they did have some problems making those arrangements, also. It seems to depend on the crew on each ship how amenable they are to setting that up for you. In any case even with a standing reservation the experience will not be quite the same as traditional dinning since, if you like the little 'shows' the wait staff puts on usually during some of the dinners, you will miss those, also you are more likely to be seated alone ( just your group) although again it depends on you if you think that is an advantage or disadvantage.
Bottom line I think is, if the traditional dinning experience is an important part of your cruise you might want to choose another line. If you just want to eat arround the same time each day there is a good chance they will be able to accomodate that on NCL.
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Debbie D

I've only been on the Norwegian Sea. Two cruises on it. It was 'Freestyle Dining' in the dining rooms. Freestyle Dining is the only positive thing I found aboard the Sea. That is the one thing Norwegian does right. JMO
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Like Mike said, we don't care about your past or any other board. You will be judged here by how you follow the simple Terms of Service. That said everyone needs to read them again and follow them. You are not allowed to be hateful or talk down to others as that comes under personal attacks and not allowed. Here are the rules again;

Rules of Conduct for the CruiseMates Message Boards
CruiseMates encourages active and open debate among our members. All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner. Accordingly, you agree to use CruiseMates for lawful purposes only. You may not use or allow others to use your computer to:

Post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person;
Post or transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright, or trade secrets) or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as nondisclosure agreements);
Post, transmit or link to sexually explicit material;
Impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
Post or transmit any advertising, promotional materials or other forms of solicitation including chain letters and pyramid schemes;
Intentionally violate the laws, rules and regulations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the national, or other securities exchanges especially and including the rule against making false or misleading statements to manipulate the price of any security;
Intentionally violate any other applicable law or regulation while accessing and using our site;

CruiseMates may at any time, without prior notice and at our sole discretion, remove any post or picture. You agree to indemnify CruiseMates and hold us harmless from any actions, claims, proceedings or liabilities. You're responsible for all statements made and acts that occur through the use of your user name. So please don't disclose your password to anybody. If it has been lost or stolen, let us know as soon as possible and change it immediately.

Jim

Old September 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
pata

Hey Debbie,
We have been on the Sea twice and absolutely loved it all. Great crew, food, entertainment and ports. The first time was traditional and the second freestyle. The only regret I have is that the freestyle dining atmosphere changed and was more impersonal than the assigned seating. It was so much fun when the Jamacian waiters did (I think) a rumba or something...... out of the kitchen and had all the passengers dancing with them. Now that was really fun! The waiters acted like they were really having fun too!
Of course, we have fallen in love with the Sea, so we could be a tat biased!