Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM
First Mate

Default Answers to Questions

When I first found out about on line cruise boards I was faintly surprised and very grateful to find a group of people who were willing to answer questions and give me help totally for free. As time went on I tried to do the same and to answer questions when I could for other cruisers.
Lately though I have noticed a somewhat disturbing occurance. While I have always been grateful that some one, who didn't even know me, would take time out of their day to compose and post an answer just to help me, I have now started running across people who just seem to take this help for granted. Not only do they not seem to show much gratitude but they actually get a little irate if the answers don't come fast enough.
One poster earlier today even decided to berate other members because they actually choose to discuss another topic rather than dropping everything and hopping chop chop to supply the answer they requested.
I would like to point out to this, and other posters, with that same attitude that this is all FREE advice it is not a product or service that you have paid for ( unlike the POA). So a little more patience and gratitude may be in order.

In addition I find it amusing that this person who was complaining because they weren't getting their free advice fast enough, then lectured others that they shouldn't be complaining because the cruise that they paid a lot of money for was sub-standard. They should just be happy that they could afford to waste their money on the cruise in the first place.

Ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:32 PM
pata

Default Re: Answers to Questions

Hi gardencat,
I too am grateful for those who take the time to answer my sometimes dumb questions regarding cruising. You are right, it has been a blessing to find people like that. Thanks for reminding me!

Pat

PS I am thinking that post was intentional to annoy POA "activists" ....... a new description that includes both sides!
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM
First Mate

pata
I'm not sure the original purpose of the post but it did succeed in annoying me.

I find it strange how some people will stand up for a cruise line and preach patience and understanding, while the line works out the kinks and gets things up to speed, all the while expecting cruisers to pay for the privalege of being part of the 'learning curve' yet the same people have no patience or empathy for fellow cruisers or posters on this board. One of the mysteries of life I guess.
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:02 PM
pata

Gardencat,
It is a lot like this......if you get enough people banding together to say the same thing over and over and over....even though it is not true....they will eventually begin to believe it themselves. So, the op's opening statement was an invitation to anyone who likes to tell others to be quiet about the POA to join in. At least that is my opinion. Thank you for starting a new thread! This is great!
You always give me something new to think about!

Pat
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Of course, to play the devils advocate here ,some would probably say that everyone posting about negative experiences on POA are doing the same thing ie. repeating the same facts to get people to believe them.
The difference, I think, is that the "stop posting about the POA your taking up all the room on the board " statement is illogical. NO one is keeping people from posting about the Majesty or the Wind etc. The board will expand to hold all those posts.

All the complaints about POA are backed up by what is happening elsewhere, news paper reports, TV reports etc.

Post Edited (09-09-04 05:14)
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Skyedogrocks

Gardencat, I am assuming you are talking about me. My questions were a few days old, it wasn't CHOP CHOP to answer them.

"In addition I find it amusing that this person who was complaining because they weren't getting their free advice fast enough, then lectured others that they shouldn't be complaining because the cruise that they paid a lot of money for was sub-standard. They should just be happy that they could afford to waste their money on the cruise in the first place."

I didn't say you should be happy with sub-standard service and they could afford to waste their money on the cruise in the first place. Learn to read and comprehend my friend. I said people should be happy they can even afford to take a cruise. Many people out there cannot afford this luxury and all I saw on these boards for the last few days were constant complaining about the POA. Yes, it is wonderful that there are boards like this where we can find out information. However, it seems like it is information overload on the bad service of the POA.

Try not to berate a person who was only looking for questions. If I worded my note wrong, then tell me politely don't bash a person. I am always grateful for advice, if I came across that I wasn't, then I apologize. I got annoyed at the fact that had I started bashing a cruise, it would have received more attention than my asking for some advice on a cruise.

"PS I am thinking that post was intentional to annoy POA "activists" ....... a new description that includes both sides! "

Umm Pata, so not true. The Majesty will be my first NCL Cruise. I don't care to intentionally annoy people, I didn't even know about the problems or the POA cruise until I came to this board. You were way off the mark on this one.

I was hoping to get some answers to my questions for a cruise that my husband and I are very much looking forward to. I was not looking to get berated.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Answers to Questions

gardencat - I also have found these message boards great help - in fact, I've used a lot of what I have read in planning excursions for my next cruise.

And I also hope to be of help by posting a review of my trip when I come back.

Unfortunately, if there is no one who has been on the particular ship that a person is asking about, I am not sure what else we can do about it here - of course there will be no replies if none of us have been on that ship.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Skydogrocks
I'm sorry if I came down a little hard, but I did find your post upsetting. You may have noticed, when I first read your post , I answered you on that thread and tried to point you to where you might find Majesty info. Then, the more I thought about your post, the more upset I became about it.
You are not the only one who I have seen recently who had, what appears to me, to be an attitude of more demanding info and being annoyed when they don't get it, rather than asking politely, and being grateful if they do. That is why I started a new thread rather than going back to the original thread where it would have seemed more as if I was complaining about your post only.

As far as my objection to your statement about people being lucky to be able to afford to cruise at all I stand by it. You wrote:

"Be happy that you can actually afford to TAKE a vacation and stop bashing and complaining. There are many people in this world who would love to even be able to take a vaction like this, who would love to be in your shoes."

To me that still says that ,according to you, just because we can afford to take a vacation we should stop complain about bad service and I still don't agree with that sentiment.

Last, you wrote:

"all I saw on these boards for the last few days were constant complaining about the POA"

Well the POA holds, I think, in the range of 2000 passengers a week. and has been sailing for several weeks now. If even half of those people felt they had recieved bad service or been ripped off, that means there could be a lot of people who might want to complain. Its not really surprising that a lot of complaints would show up on a cruise board.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Skyedogrocks, I believe you and your explanation, and I accept your apology. However, going on a cruise has nothing to do with being fortunate, it comes from hard work. Just so you know, I went to college for five years (and had the student loans to prove it), have been in the same business for nearly 30 years and work at least an 11-hour day every day. I've earned the right to complain when I pay extremely hard-earned money for this second-rate, over-priced cruise. I'm not rich, and one of the reasons I take a cruise is to relax and get away from the daily grind of work and home ownership. I'm willing to pay too dollar for that privilege ... but when I do I expect to get what I paid for. I can see how your comment that we shoud just be happy to be able to afford a cruise would be very upsetting to people in my situation. But like I said, I accept your apology, and I hope that your first NCL cruise is a wonderful, service-filled experience, unlike my time on POA. Best of luck
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have also saved for 3 years for this cruise - and I expect to get what I paid for. I agree with all the others who being lucky has nothing to do with it.

We worked out butts off to save this money - some people spend their money on booze, cigarettes, cars - we choose to spend ours vacationing and we set a goal, worked hard and squirrel the money away. And expect to enjoy it, too.
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:00 PM
First Mate

Hi Cruisers,

We do the same-------------------Instead of lots of other things, we work and save for trips.

This is what we enjoy, and hope to continue for many more years.

We have never been on POA, but we hope that things will change for the better soon.

Barb
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:59 PM
pata

skydogrocks,
Thanks for the explanation. I too sometimes have trouble expressing myself in writing. Welcome to the board. Here's hoping you have a wonderful first cruise and get all the information you need prior to sailing. When is your trip scheduled? And did you find the links suggested helpful in answering your questions?

"Umm Pata, so not true. The Majesty will be my first NCL Cruise. I don't care to intentionally annoy people, I didn't even know about the problems or the POA cruise until I came to this board. You were way off the mark on this one."

I found this a rather strange remark, skydog. Could you please remind me when I was on the mark?

Thanks,
Pat
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Skyedogrocks

Default Re: Re: Answers to Questions

Ok, I think this subject has been beat down enough.

I realize we work hard for the cruise and save up months/years for our vacation. All I meant to get across is that some people can't even afford to save up for a cruise. I consider my husband and I very lucky that we can afford this cruise. Like others, we too worked hard and saved up for this.

Pata, i was referring to this statement you made originally. I had figured it was pointed to me. If not, then sorry.

"PS I am thinking that post was intentional to annoy POA "activists" ....... a new description that includes both sides! "

Thanks all for the pointers to the other threads about the Majesty. I am used to a more "traditional" cruise, rather than "Freestyle" and just want to make sure I bring the right amount of clothing! Lord knows I could easily go over the standard 200 lbs of luggage per person ;o). I need to go back and read other threads to find out more about the island and ship.

I'm a bit nervous about the rough seas due to all these hurricanes, yikes!

Again, I just want to put the negative posts in the past and move forward.

Happy Cruising!
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
First Mate

Skyedogrocks
If you put up a thread with 'rough seas' or something like that in the title you will probably be able to get lots of suggestions for peoples favorite seasickness remedies.

I am cruising the Eastern Caribbean in October and I have been a bit worried about rough seas too. I've never been bothered before, but I've heard the Eastern route can be a bit rougher and, like you, I don't think that the hurricanes will help the situation.
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:59 AM
AlohaInsider

Gardencat-

My first three cruises were in the E.C. If ever there was a time I could relate to a pax feeling seasick, it would be then. That being said, There were only a couple times I felt a little dizzy. You should be fine, I hope Ivan hasn't ruined those beautiful islands.
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:20 AM
pata

skydog,
There are lots of postings about a "relief band" and bonnie, patches, dramamine and oh yes, the natual remedy..ginger root. I do a lot of google searches to get more information, also. Hope this helps.