Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM
CeeCee

Default On locking checked luggage

I'm wondering about the NCL policy on checked luggage and the burning question -- to lock or not to lock. I've read some posts about the TSA locks and if I understand correctly, these locks are only good if the terminal accepts TSA locks as they have to have their own sort of key to unlock the TSA lock - correct? Specifically, I'd like to know the policy on this for the Star and the Port of Los Angeles (we will be driving to the port - so airline travel is not part of the equation for us).
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
pata

Default Re: On locking checked luggage

CeeCee, I am not familiar with the TSA locks, but will try to impart some info that may help. From what I have read, the ships do xray all luggage and if they find something they consider suspicious, they "red tag" the luggage and call the owner to open it after they have boarded the ship. So, this sounds like they do not open it. And, of course the rules can change at any time. I have also read a good tip on the boards saying to use the plastic tie locks, so you can tell if your luggage has been opened. Hope this helps.

Pat
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cee Cee,
As far as I know, you can lock your luggage when boarding the ship, the problem with locked luggage is for the airports.. Since we have to fly in, ours is unlocked and we just leave it that way, unless we are there a day early and coming from a hotel, then I'll lock it, haven't had a problem yet.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Beginner

We are using NCL air plan to fly to Honolulu for our trip on the Wind. Will we ever see our luggage to be able to lock it after we leave Las Vegas by plane and before we get to the ship or does it go straight to the ship unlocked?.
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

You should be able to. The way it has always worked for us is that we pick up our luggage at the destination and then give it to the NCL people, so you should easily be able to lock it. From what I have read on the TSA site, the approved locks should cause no problems. I haven't decided what I am going to do next April. I do have cable locks though .
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You can use the TSA locks if you are checking it for the airlines. I personally use cable ties for soft sided luggage. You just use them instead of the locks. This at least keeps the zippers closed and if they are inspected they can be easily cut off by TSA without damaging the luggage. Just keep a nail clipper in the outside, unlocked, pocket of the checked bag.

Always pack valuables medicines and documentation in your carry on.

I haven't locked my luggage in years. Someone with a screwdriver can get into luggage faster than I can open the lock. Baggage locks keep honest people honest and that's about it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Captain

We use plastic tie wraps. Works great. When security does check a bag they use a sort of tie wrap of thier own to re-lock the bags.

Remember to keep a small cutting device in an unlocked pocket in one of your checked bags so you can cut the ties off at arrival. And also bring extra wraps when packing for the return trip home.

"Real" theives are going to break in or steal you bags no matter how you lock your luggage. I do this to keep the creep who on impulse might quickly sneak in a bag.
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: On locking checked luggage

Hi Vegas Pat,
You will most likely have to pick up your luggage at the airport after you land and bring it to the pier yourselves. At that time if you wish to lock your luggage, you can.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Admiral

I have used the TSA locks on my most recent cruise without a hassle.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004