Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:01 AM
First Mate

Default Note to those receiving future NCL travel credit

Hello, just wanted to warn others of my experience. I understand many travelers are receiving 20% off future sailing credit. I had received a similar discount from Princess cruises a few months back. When I booked my vacation I was shocked to find my online travel agent had taken a little more than 50% of my discount as comission! Instead of saving $300 off my cruise price I only received $146. I would have saved more money had I booked through the cruise line direct.

So for those receiving future travel credit please be sure to check rates from NCL first and then get a bottom line quote for your travel agent before you decide to book. It was already too late for us, we had already booked the ship with our travel agent and made final payment before the adjustment was done. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:58 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Re: Note to those receiving future NCL travel credit

I would definatly file a formal complaint with the head of the travel agenciey, the local Better Business bureau and copy the legal dept at Princess and Carnival Corporate. Spend the extra couple of $$ and mail everything certified returen receipt, shows you really mean business. $150 buy a bunch of frozen thingees.
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:25 AM
newmexicoNita

You may want to think about booking through a reliable TA, not one on the net. I don't mean the ones on the net are not reliable, but working with a major company can sometimes be the best way to go. I know we all like the net booking and the rates they show, but having an agent that comes with credentuals can mean alot. NMNita
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Did you complaint to the Travel Agency? As a travel agent, my job is to get the CLIENT that discount, not to bump my commission.

I bet you won't ever use that travel agent again - for a few bucks, that travel agent lost what could have been a continual customer that they might have received much more in commissions from if they contiinued to book a vacation every year. Dumb move by the travel agents.
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM
newmexicoNita

willysgrandma, I don't think she used a TA except for an online one. I may have mis-understood from her comments. I am a retired TA and about to go back into the business and like you, my job is to assist my claints, not to jack up the commission!

NMNita
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM
First Mate

I had used this travel agent to book around 8 rooms on cruises in the past, I was really surprised. This is one of the most reputable online agencies. I am not going to write a letter and complain, I am just going to make sure if I have any coupons I do not use that agency, if I ever use them again at all.

From what I understand it's not uncommon for ta's to take a percentage of the discounts but that was too much. Again a mistake I made was that I already had booked this cruise and then I got the letter of credit and asked for it to be applied to that sailing. I had contacted the TA by email several times (know who I mean) to have it applied, final payment came and went until everything was credited, both by Princess and then the travel agent.

So I learned my lesson and I probably won't use them again. I do have a regular travel agent, I just hate to ask for quotes if I'm not going to use her business and have always found much cheaper rates online.

So hopefully this will help travelers with NCL credit also. Be careful when you price the vacation and check if you are getting the best deal =)
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM
newmexicoNita

cnmiranda, I think it is unusual for an agencey to take any part of a discount, at least we never did when I was in the business and I will not when I return. Others may have experience with this, I will be anxious to hear some responses. NMnita
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM
First Mate

NMNita, if you're interrested I copied my correspondace with the TA on the Princess section of this board, entitled " A note for those who....."