Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Julie S

Default Star - 8 day Mexico

We are interested in taking the Star either Nov. 5 or 13 out of LA for the 8 day Mexico cruise. I am uncertain about NCL, as I have never travelled with them before. Our last 2 cruises were on Celebrity (7 nt W Caribbean on Century and 11 nt Mexico on Mercury), and I have also been on HAL, Princess, and the old Royal Viking. I don't know anyone who has ever gone on NCL.
The "freestyle dining" with 10 restaurants sounds great, it's a newer ship, and has an itinierary of Mexican cities we've visited before and enjoy. I can't tell how large the ocean view rooms are, but they look OK. We are in our early 40s, and enjoy a good time.
What are the passengers like? Staff .... Is the ship well-maintained? How is the food - I work in the foodservice industry, and am a little picky. Is it fun? Please give us current feedback. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: Star - 8 day Mexico

Julie, it sounds like you have cruise some rather nice ships. The cabins on the Star will be just as large if not larger than what you have had on Celebrity. It's hard to compare the lines as freestyle is the thing that sells some and dicourages others. I have not been on the Star, but have been on the Sun which isn't quite as new or as large, but a wonderful ship. Food quality in the main dining rooms might be a little better on Celebrity. Of course as you know food is a very subjective subject. We liked the Lobster on the Connie better than on NCl and the presentation is a bit better on Celebrity. However we found the buffets on Celebrity to be very boring. Not that they are great on NCL, no buffets are great, but NCL does have a much nicer varieaty. Daily they have either grilled burgers, taco bar, salad and sandwhich bar plus a full buffet for lunch. The service depends solely on the luck of the draw I think. Of course the variety of restaurants makes NCL very popular. There was only 1 specialty restaurant on Conni and it was $30 a pop! Both lines have their strong points, we prefer the mixture of ages on NCl, a few more on ship activities and freestyle is our preference. We love it so much we almost can't imagine cruising any other way. Just some thoughts. NMNita
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM
CeeCee

Default Re: Star - 8 day Mexico

Julie, I will be on the very first run for NCL Star to the Mexican Riviera in just 16 short days (September 26) from L.A!!! After waiting six months for this, the excitement and anticipation is almost too much for me right now. We have booked a category BA (balcony) room. This is our first cruise, so while I do not have the benefit of comparing this with any other personal cruise experience, I certainly will come back with a report. We picked NCL because the "Freestyle" aspect appealed to us. Also, for what it is worth, I have spoken by e-mail to some who have recently been on the Star and have received very positive feedback.
Old September 12th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Star - 8 day Mexico

Cee Cee, I would truly appreciate if you would report on your upcoming cruise when you get back. I too, am a first time cruiser and will be on the Star for 8 days to Mexico in December. Would love to know about your experience, especially in dressing. We read that formal nights are optional but love to dress up and my husband and I are planning to do so, hopefully, if we will fit in. We will be on board for Christmas and disembark on New Years eve. I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!