Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Ingarid

Default NCL Food

Hey guys, I just got back from the Norwegian Sea last weekend! We had a WONDERFUL time, everything was great, the tenders sucked BUT we had a great cruise.....I have one complaint though, and this is regarding something that varies from person to person so I'm not bashing. My mother and I thought the food was horrible! The only time the food was somewhat okay was the poolside bbqs, and the minute stks that were served sometimes at night, and of course the fruit! lol. So, I was wondering if all of the food is the same from ship to ship??
thanx
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:59 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: NCL Food

No the food varies from ship to ship. Did you try the Pizza place or Le Bistro? We found the food on the Sea (many years ago) ok but not the best and have heard the bar-b-ques are really good. Like all cruise lines, we have found the food on NCL from just ok to good to very good depending on the ship. The newer ships and larger ones seem to offer better food. NMnita
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM
ute_fan

Food is one of those very subjective areas, and everyone's tastes are so different that it is hard to determine if you will feel the same way that another poster does. For instance, we were on the Sea last January. We loved the food -- the group we were with all thought it was great. Now, it is possible that the quality has fallen off, but it's also possible that my idea of "good food" and yours are just totally different.

We had a cruise on the Sun in June, and again loved the food. I tried to eat a little less so I wouldn't gain as much weight, but it was still (to my taste) delicious. My son was totally impressed. I had read reviews before going that said the food on the Sun wasn't very good, but that certainly wasn't our experience.

It may also have to do with what your normal eating style is -- we eat way too much "fast food", and also enjoy dining in some of the nicer chain style restaurants. Utah isn't exactly noted for gourmet food, and what the ship served, to us, was the upper end of our dining experience. If you are from an area of the country where there are more "fine dining" options, you may have a different standard of good food than I do.
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Ingarid

I"m used to my Mom's home cooking,and we cook a lot of german and polish dishes, HOWEVER I admit, I'm picky. My mom isnt picky at all and she also disliked the food. I REALLY liked everything about NCL, except the food. I would go on another NCL cruise if I knew that the recipes and the food in general varies ship to ship. I LOVED the Sea, however I want to eat on a cruise! lol Then again I could just live off of the baked potato! lol.............Also there was only a Pasta place and Le Bistro, no pizza place
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM
ute_fan

I know the menus on our two NCL cruises weren't exactly the same -- I specifically remember different appetizers/salads/desserts being served with different main courses. My guess is that the majority of the recipes are the same, but the different cooks may prepare them slightly differently. I would have said that the food on the Sun was a little better than the Sea, but not a significant change. But, like I said, we all loved it!

The rest of my family at the lobster, it was little, but they said it was great flavor and very tender. I still remember the macedamia nut encrusted prawns on the Sun -- they were probably my favorite main course. My kids are both picky eaters, but they were both very satisfied. Maybe you had a bad week for the cooks???
Old September 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM
newmexicoNita

Ingrid, I can imagine if you are accustom to German and Polish food the food served on any cruise ship might not be exactly to your liking with so many gourmet type dishes, lots of meat etc. It certainly isn't what most of us think of when we think of home cooking, thats for sure.

NMNita
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Parrot Mom

From what a Chef told us last year ..the menu changes with the itinerary...if you "do" Canada/N.E. you wont get the same food as if you going to Bermuda.. the buffets on NCL are pretty bad, but we discovered the Barbecue this year and the ribs were to die for. I think the food also depends on the Chef.. the one this year on the Majesty was pretty bad.. We have been lucky.last year on the Sea were were in the dining room for lunch when they had osso bucco and were in the dining room for lunch on the Majesty this June when we ran across it again... it was to die for.. Cruise lines are cutting costs and size of portions because of the price of fuel.. accrording to a travel agent on board.
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM
newmexicoNita

I would guess they are not only cutting because of the cost of fuel, what about the cost of fish and beef? Even chicken has skyrocketed around here. Maybe we should all become vegetarians? Well, the rest of you, not me!!!!

NMNita
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Food tastes are so individual, it's always hard to judge. Personally on my NCL cruise I found the range was from OK to very good (in my opinion of course). I tend to find mass produced food (cruiseship and banquet) a little too bland for my tastes but I like spices. Overall NCL was a little better with some things and a little worse with others than on other cruiseships that I have been on. The only meal I really did not care for (and that was just the entree) was the very first meal I had on-board (I am glad I did not let that discourage me because subsequent meals were fine.) My biggest complaint against cruiseship dining in general are the salads - usually pretty dull and boring.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
First Mate

I did find the salads to be much to small. Usually, salad is my favorite course---------many times I make a meal from salad and a roll.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM
newmexicoNita

I have to agree with Barb, the salads on all cruise lines are almost a joke. I guess we will have to start asking for 2 salads and forget whatever else. I too, love my salad.

nmNita
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:15 PM
lara evans

Our complaint regarding food was the people actually taking the orders.. They did their best and tried very hard , but the spoken English was so poor that at each meal there was always mistakes with the orders. It got to you in the end,,...,As an example , completely away from the food side. Our embarkment tags where wrong color for our two families as we were on separte decks we needed same color to get the same bus. My father kindly but firmly wanted to get sorted and approched the lady at deck seven. "Miss,I have a problem, do you speak good English?" (he wanted to get tags sorted) The lady replied "oh, thank you" ...sorry, I thought that this just summed it up.
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:51 PM
pata

Coming from a midwestern type of cuisine......LMAO...steak, pork chops, and hamburger, I thought the food was fantastic. Of course, my DH was not so impressed, but he has been all over the world! I loved the escargo in butter! And the soups are to die for. A lot has to do with being a bit adventurous and trying different dishes. I love it!
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Passenger

I have been on three ncl cruises, the last one on the Dawn. I found that the food was the same as previous cruises. That did not bother me, I made up for in the oh so good fresh rolls and the cold soups were awesome. The buffets were the best and the cookouts.