Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Default NCLA ferry service

I've been following the POA discussions with interest (and some amusement). I have no wish to start another debate, but I did have a thought. How would it be for NCLA to expand its Hawaiian business to include ferry service between the islands?

As a frequent traveller to Hawaii, I've often thought it would be nice to take an overnight hop from one island to another and enjoy a taste of cruising in between. Most flights arrive in Honolulu, but I make a point of spending as little time there as possible and head immediately for one of the outer islands (usually Kauai). It would really be neat to make a sea crossing instead of taking an interisland flight. You could spend a week in one place, catch the boat to the next stop and continue that way as long as you like.

I believe the old Hawaiian-American Line use to offer such service, at least in their early days. It would be a great way to show off the ship and fill any vacancies - not that the POA has that problem. This kind of service is provided on the Alaska state ferry and I think there's a Mediterranean line with a similar arrangement. It would be a way for NCLA to take advantage of its domestic port access and perhaps attract new business as it expands its fleet.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: NCLA ferry service

A very good idea on the surface.

But -and a very big BUT - the State of Hawaii has just invested a great deal of money to introduce high speed catamaran inter-island ferries next year. They might have a problem with NCL America trying to compete with them.
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: NCLA ferry service

No kidding? I hadn't hear about that. Seems like an odd time to be launching that business. Maybe some of the voters don't like flying. Still, there might be some wiggle room for NCLA - depending on the terms of their charter. I imagine they would charge in the neighborhood of $250/pp-pn. There are various consumption taxes they would generate and an 11.41% HI hotel tax that might be applicable. A catamaran day trip should go for around $100 and attract a different clientelle. The state could profit from both markets.

A catamaran sounds interesting, but not as appealing to me as a cruise ship. You don't save on a night's lodging, food or entertainment. Unlike a Napali catamaran charter, there's not much scenery and the ride is a lot rougher than on a big boat. I'd think it's more likely for a cruise ship to draw the tourist trade. I'll have to check out the new ferry service next time I go, though.

Found a link for the Hawaii Superferry. It sounds like it's designed mainly for transporting cars and cargo, so again, I think it addresses a different market.

Post Edited (09-14-04 20:04)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise