Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:03 AM
cruiser1999

Default Saltwater pools on ships?

I heard that the pools on the ships are saltwater. Is this true? We're going on Spirit. Does Spirit have only a saltwater pool?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Saltwater pools on ships?

Yes, ships have saltwater pools. However they are filtered.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The only ships we've cruised on with fresh water is Princess, nice touch.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
First Mate

All ships pools that I have used were salt water. The water was filtered and very clean--------------not to worry.

Barb
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:02 PM
pata

What about that bacteria in the Gluf? Would that only be along the shoreline in the shallow water? There have been a few reports in the papers about fishermen who contracted a deadly bacteria, one actually died from it....cannot remember the name of it, but was in the Gulf of Mexico. I have been wondering about this ever since I read about it and thinking about the salt water pools. Anyone know anything about it?
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM
newmexicoNita

Princess is indeed the only major cruise line that offers fresh water, but NCL, like all the other lines offers very clean, filtered and chemically treated pool water. We have sailed 15 times and never had a problem with the pool water, don't worry about it. Infact you can hardly tell it's salt water, not like swimming in the ocean by any means.

NMNIta
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM
pata

Thanks Nita for the reply. I was under the impression that the salt water was not chemically treated, filtered and clean, yes, but no chemicals. I know the hot tubs are treated becasue you can smell it and feel it burning your eyes. We were told on our last cruise that the pool was emptied and refilled each nite with the saltwater. If that is true, it does not seem very economical to treat it with chemicals every day. Well, there are no stories of anyone getting the bacteria on a ship, so guess I will quit thinking about it! Would much rather focus on how healthy seawater is supposed to be!
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:13 PM
newmexicoNita

I really wouldn't worry to much; by the way Pata the checmicals are not strong like what you smell in the hot tubs you are right, but the water is treated.

Just go and have a good time. NMNita
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Bruce Chafkin

When the Public Health (USPH) Officials come aboard for their surprise inspections, one of the first places they look is swimming pools / jacuzzis. They immediately test for chemical / bacterial content. The acceptable standard ranges are very narrow and must be monitored by ship personnel on an hourly basis. Chlorine evaporates very quickly, and since most cruisers don`t shower before swimming in a pool, e-coli levels can climb very fast. Salt water or fresh, chemicals must be added and monitored very often.

You may notice that most International Ships empty their pools before arriving in a US Port. CDC Inspections are only in US Ports and the ship doesn`t want to take any chances of some kid in diapers or some other less than clean swimmers sabotaging their chemical / bacterial balances just in case there might be an inspection.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM
pata

Thanks Nita and Bruce for the information. I don't really worry, am just curious about how it all works. I love the saltwater pool....easier to float in!
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM
cruiser1999

Can they put some tropical fish and a reef in the pool so I have something to look at while I'm swimming?!?!?!?!?