Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement

Notice - I have deleted the thread "NCL Comments on POA" because the lead topic was long out of date, and huge numbers of negative and argumentative posts were scaring new cruisers who did not realize that these posts were all based on old information. I read a comment at post number 130 that said "I can't believe I had to read this entire thread just to find out things are getting better, I almost cancelled my cruise."

I'm sorry if you had a question in there you were waiting for an answer for. Please feel free to post a new topic.

Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM
SunPacific

Default Re: Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement

Thank you, Paul. Things ARE improving and everyone's going to have a wonderful time - it's HAWAII!! :-)

Carol
Sailing 10/17-25th Wedding Anniversary
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Paul, I can't believe you deleted an entire thread if people continued to post there. There were plenty of other threads that were not that long that people could have read. I always to go the end of a post anyway to get the latest information. Your deletion of that post is a crime, but we all know that you bleed NCL. Embarassing.
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
pata

LMAO..........at least Paul has the b****** to say what he has done. Keep in mind people, that this is an advertising board for NCL. There are people on other boards wondering what in the world happened to their posts! Reviews are missing and people are just confused. At least Paul came in and told what he had done. So............whooooohooooooooo...start over, at least you have the option!
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Yes, and at least he isn't being sicky sweet and saying " the way to guarantee that your posts are not deleted is to follow the guidelines" when everyone knows that is not true.

Paul
I'm with pata on this. I may not agree compleatly with your action, but at least you had the guts to come out and say what is going on, instead of leaving us wonder what the heck happened to that thread.
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:03 PM
buchie614

Negative and argumentive posts, were scaring new cruisers, are they not entitled to know about the negative things on the poa before they board? Or are they only to hear about the supposedly great POA? Sure some things have improved, I guess, but a lot of info was deleted that could have made future cruisers of the POA aware.
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:25 PM
newmexicoNita

I believe what Paul did is totally acceptable. There comes a time when we have to stop beating the dead horse. Dalwhitt, I too, go to the last comments, but we are pros at reading through these things, some are not. To those who wonder if the negative should appear as well as the positive, of course they should and will continue, but a situation 3 or 4 months old with over 100 responses is old news, let's consentrate on the new reviews and new remarks.

NMNita
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:07 PM
First Mate

cnmiranda

I noticed on another thread, you had stated ( in answer to a question by volcanic) that as far as you knew the main dinning rooms on POA repeated the same entrees everynight except for one dish which changed.

Others then posted that there had been 3 new dishes every night and you wondered where you got the idea that only one changed.

Well, I had the same idea as you so I checked back and I discovered that at least 3 reviews on another board stated things like, the menu did not change except for one dish each night.or the only change was one main entrée and chef’s featured special or the food was good but every night you had the same choice with the exception of the Special. No variety.
I guess that is where you got that idea. 2 of those reviews were for cruises in August and one for a cruise in September.
I can't explain the different reports unless maybe, while trying to address the dinning problems, NCLA has offered more choices on some cruises than they have on others.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you weren't imaganing things. Those reports of only one different dish per night are out there.
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement

Re: Changing Menus:
It would be nice if we could get someone who has been on POA to post a couple of menus. Anyone out there who can do that ? I have seen menus for other ships (in one case a whole weeks worth). That would be very useful info I think.
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Ernie

My cousin just got back from the POA in Hawaii almost a month ago and it was the "Cruise from Hell!" No staff, no food, paper plates...They ate on shore because they were hungry. That ain't no way to run a cruise line. There room steward was "too tired" to make up there room when they boarded. It was still messy from the last passengers. YUK! Return to page one and start over.
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Bandman

Ernie, many things have seemed to improve over a month ago.
Thank you Paul for getting rid of the same old same old. I guess some people only live in the past. Their glass is always half empty. They must have the last negative word.
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:54 PM
pata

Bandman, what is amazing is that you have not figured out that people just want to vent, especially when they have less than a ideal cruise experience. You only add fuel to the fire when you make comments like "their glass is always half empty" and "They must have the last negative word". In a better world people would say..."sorry about your bad experience, hopefully the next one will be better." Geez, you do not really bring any good energy to you with those kinds of comments.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:17 PM
pata

Date: 09-24-04 22:25

I believe what Paul did is totally acceptable. There comes a time when we have to stop beating the dead horse. Dalwhitt, I too, go to the last comments, but we are pros at reading through these things, some are not. To those who wonder if the negative should appear as well as the positive, of course they should and will continue, but a situation 3 or 4 months old with over 100 responses is old news, let's consentrate on the new reviews and new remarks.

NMNita

...especially if 95% or those posts are on the negative on a board that is 100 % pro NCL. No offense intended...just looking at the facts. So, for those who have been mistreated by NCl, there will always be a "beating of the dead horse". ..because the horse is not dead to them! The horse is very much alive and kicking.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Bandman, it is really easy to criticize those of us who shelled out $4,000 on a lousy cruise. Of course, if you want to reimburse me even half of that I will promise you to shut up. Until that happens, ... guess what? ... I will talk about my over-priced, second-rate cruise as long as I feel it is necessary. And the only way Paul is going to get rid of all negative comments (a lofty goal) is to eliminate all posts, shut down Cruisemates completely or change the name to ILOVENCL.com.

Post Edited (09-27-04 21:29)
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Bandman

Thank you for proving my point. I will go now.
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
First Mate

As soon as I figure out what your point is I will respond to it. Goodbye.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Passenger

It is great news for the people who have gone on POA recently and for the future cruisers. I sailed over 2 1/2 months ago, and still have not heard any response from my letters to NCL. It is good that NCL has decided to stop the $10 service charge, so now shouldn't past passengers who were stuck on the cruise when it was still horrible get the rest of our money back for the service charge. I would just like to get some kind of response from NCL. Has anyone on the early sailings of POA heard from NCL concerning when we will receive our 20% discount, even though I will not use it they should still send it. I don't understand how a company can go two months with no apology and without sending the discount that was promised.
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:16 PM
duane

I agree with Paul. I just found this site a couple days ago and I am currently booked with NCL. I went and read most off those postng and can't believe some of the ranting and ravings over and over again. I agree there are complaints that deserve compensation on the POA however some of them and the letters that went to NCL are ridiculus. One women didn't tip because she didn't get ice in her roon the one night and the waiter didn't keep her water glass full. I believe that some people want something for nothing. I have a friend in the resturant business and some of the things people go through just for a free meal. Bug in food ect. One person wanted a refund because it took to long on embarcation. Give me a break! 45 minutes to get on is not unreasonable. 4000 people go on and off these ships in a few hours. I can't believe someone couldn't find any thing decent to eat on cruise ship. If the eggs are runny,order a ohmlet. If you run out of ice, go to one of the bars, pool deck. The time spent complaining about the small stuff and standing in lines because of your cabin wasn't ready when you got there could disrupt the whole cruise experiance. LET IT GO! It gets better every week.
Duane
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:49 PM
newmexicoNita

pata, the horse has to be allowed to die and life goes on. We know some if not many have had bad to horrible experiences with POA and in some cases other cruises, both NCL and other lines. I am not going to go into detail as to bad experiences I have had because they are over. I just choose to try and forget. Yes, most of the reports have been negative even though more positive are coming in now. Still let's get on with life and forget it. For those of you who want to continue to rant and rave I guess it's your poragative, for me, it is just a waste of time. LOl

NMNita
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM
pata

Hi Nita,
I really thought this thread had died. I confess I just look for certain posters and follow their interest because I actually enjoy reading what they have to say. ...old or new, doesn't matter to me...yeah I know "the dead horse". There is probably not one person or company that have not been taken advantage of in one form or another. And, I confess I have a soft spot for the loners who just make a stand and stick to their guns! lol Just reading each one's perspective of the POA saga fascinates me and makes me appreciate the way one can express their opinions without fear of rejection. I especially enjoyed hearing the crews opinions. The boards are much like a drama in action...and I just happen to like some of the characters and can appreciate their determination.
So, are you packed yet? I am already dragging out the luggage and have another whole month to go. We will be on a different deck this time so it will seem like a whole different ship. Am still waiting on that upgrade to the owners suite !
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement

Having read the comments (in nausea) about the pros and -- mostly -- cons of the POA, DH and I spoke at length this evening -- again -- about our next cruise (after our 11/28 Dawn and probably June or July on the Majesty) and we are both interested in cruising Hawaii. For the money, we feel this is the best way to see all the islands -- and the nicest thing of all is that you only unpack once. We have typically dined at the ports that we've visited -- granted it's only been Bermuda -- but we will typically have dinner in port two nights out of three -- so dinner on board really isn't an issue for us. Would we sail on the POA? Definitely -- we're seriously considering for our 30th in 2007!
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:28 PM
buchie614

Default Re: Re: Re: Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement

They should definitely have things in shape by 2007.
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:33 PM
David Starkey

Who would layout top dollar money to sail a NCL(not that great cruiseship to begin with) ship has been only slightly reconditiond to begin with.??

I don't care where it sails to.

Why pay a premium to get average ship facilities, and poor quality food and service.?
Its beyond me. I 'll be in Hawaii in July, but not on an NCL based ship.
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM
newmexicoNita

David, this is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but what are you basing your comments on? I know you were on here a few years ago carrying on about something; I don't remember what. What ship has been slightly reconditioned to begin with and what is reconditioned? I assume you are referring to the old Sky been slightly reconditioned (new word for refurbished I guess) How do you know what has and has not been done when you haven't seen the ship since it went to Hawaii? I don't have a clue as to what was or wasn't done, canuse I haven't seen her. As for me, I prefer to read comments from those who have sailed the POA, not from those who don't like NCL for whatever reason.

NMNita
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
David Starkey

For your info... Nita, you don't need to make this a personal issue, such as you have with anyone who has issues or problems with NCL ships. I don't consider myself a person who"carries on" . Perhaps you should confine your comments to cruise issues rather than insulting anyone who has an opinion other than yours.

And by the way, I would sail the Norway anytime if that NCL ship were to ever rejoin the fleet. .

I just think its wrong to charge a premium price(such as POA) and deliver( based on thoses that have sailed )so much less. I don't think thats expecting too much.(i know the vast majority of past cruiser that sailed her feel "taken")
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Isn't it interesting that this post started as as Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement. and has become a bash NCL thread.

What started out as good information for future cruisers on the POA has deteriated to a rant about NCL in general from those who were on the ship months ago, before any improvements were made. There is even negative posts from those who have never sailed on Pride of Aloha.

What would a new cruiser think reading these negative posts when the beginning threat says Pride of Aloha - signs of improvement.
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM
newmexicoNita

Amen Marilyn!
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
gumpgirl@earthlink.net

Sandman:

Yes. I was on the inaugural sailing. I received my 1/2 back for the service charges and I received my 20% discount and a promise that if I book before December, 2004, I could get the original published rates also. I have also received response from NCL on my complaint about the shows also. In fact, I have received two letters. You will hear from them too.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to segerdsegerd

I sent NCL a letter regarding my POA cruise on July 18th. I did receive my 20% off coupons and a letter this week in response to mine. I used mine to book an Alaskan cruise for next summer. I would try the PO America but will wait a while to see how this all plays out. I'm happy that the reports are getting better on the PO Aloha.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Cel

A friend of my Mother-In-Law got back fromthis cruise last week. They had a good time. He said the cabins were clean and serviced. The food was OK. Only complaint was the hot food served was cold. Also seemed like several crew left the ship in one port never to return.